Does Self Found hit a wall against some map bosses?

When you can't twink damage to perfection, your ES/armour/evasion isn't the max it could be, obnoxious gear checks become your only enemy.

Running over 7kDPS on my strongest spell, 2.5kHP and almost 2.5kES, my visit to the Orchard was no problem, I can fight the Museum bosses as long as they're one-by-one, I can out-DPS Xandro, out-maneuver Minerva, and once or twice even Magnus isn't annoying. But Brutus... I have no idea how to fight map Brutus. I've been crit for almost 3k on a single tick of his circular spike attack and his skeletons seem to just keep spawning (though playing Fractured probably didn't help this).

Is he just an obnoxious gear check or am I missing something (Don't.Fight.Brutus.Fractured I get, I mean something else)? I didn't learn anything against Brutus; just gave up and mashed him until he died before I ran out of portals.
That weird self found player who doesn't aim for any build? Yeah that's me, hi.
Self-Found No-Death No-Log Merciless Dom; hell yeah! Now will I ever do it in HC...? Oh dear.
P.S. Please delete Magnus and all Devourers.
Last edited by CajNatalie on Mar 26, 2015, 5:19:28 AM
Just don't do Brutus. And more projectiles Dominus/Piety.
Well with out speaking to the Brutus fight, I think your problem lies in your defense. By going Life/Es you have diluted it a lot.

A life toon at that point in the game should have >5k.

An ES toon at that point should have >7k.

Others will chime in....
It's free, quit complaining, and just play the game.
You self cast enduring cry and immortal call can just tank everything is how you do it.
"
got4close wrote:
Just don't do Brutus. And more projectiles Dominus/Piety.
Yeah I think unless I've just leveled up I'll probably just avoid those.
I don't even want to think of multiprojectile versions of those fights. XD

"
Benalishhero wrote:
Well with out speaking to the Brutus fight, I think your problem lies in your defense. By going Life/Es you have diluted it a lot.

A life toon at that point in the game should have >5k.

An ES toon at that point should have >7k.

Others will chime in....
When you want to stack ES but can't get good enough gear to rely on it you end up taking a few life nodes and it becomes a hybrid Life+ES mess. I figured that.
I was asking if there was anything I could do in the fight other than just mash stats until I win. Like if there's a sound tell before the AoE circle of spikes appear so I know to keep moving and not stop to cast something so it doesn't interrupt my ES recharge.

"
j33bus wrote:
You self cast enduring cry and immortal call can just tank everything is how you do it.
Lol, I'm trying to avoid the cookie cutter solutions. =D
Self-Found No-Death No-Log Merciless Dom; hell yeah! Now will I ever do it in HC...? Oh dear.
Hi Caj,

On the contrary to everyone else's advice:

I have several glass cannon characters and I can routinely do map Brutus with them with no problems. I've done him with 1.8k HP, 0 ES, and no deaths.
(Yes I understand this is extremely, stupidly low.... But I was trying something specific with Carnage Heart).

If attempting this, I just use my range and maneuverability to my advantage.

I go with 2 Quicksilver Flasks, lots of +movement speed, and a long range skill.

I run large circles around the perimeter of the room. Move, shoot, move, shoot. Always keeping my quicksilver up.

The floor spikes are too slow to hit me; by the time he targets and casts them, I've already moved.
His big ground slam attack is very telegraphed, so you can move before it gets off.
His chain attack is probably the most difficult to avoid, but keep moving and you'll be ok. Even if this hits you, its generally not too much damage as long as you GTFO ASAP.
Just keep chipping away at him and never get hit.

Also, if the adds are becoming a problem, I've found that elemental proliferation linked to something that can ignite does wonders. I can focus on the boss, and he just sets his own adds on fire and kills them.

That being said, the "cookie cutter" solution that would work best is just to get more HP/ES or skip that fight, but you said you wanted to avoid that :P

Hope that helps a bit.

Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
every build has troubles with some encounters, thats how the game is designed
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Brutus/Carnage both love totems.. :D
d:-D*
"
Nick42 wrote:
Hope that helps a bit.
Thank you very much for the information.
Wasn't betting on this kind of reply so it was a welcome surprise. Quicksilver seemed to be the way to go if I went for him again. Maybe it'd be in my interests to get a 2nd QS flask and cycle them as you do.

At least I'll re-roll any fractures in his map in future so I won't have to deal with 25+ Skeletons again. XD

"
PyleWarlord wrote:
Brutus/Carnage both love totems.. :D
Ah my little spell totem tries so hard, but I won't spec in to it as it's purely to split aggro. Poor totem. D=
"
CajNatalie wrote:
At least I'll re-roll any fractures in his map in future so I won't have to deal with 25+ Skeletons again. XD

Some will probably argue with me....but:

If using some type of ignite prolif, I actually prefer fracture for a fight like this.
More skellys = more bodies to pass around the burn.

If its packed enough, you can just stand at the other side of the room and let the prolif carry the burn over to Brutus. It will also take care of many of the adds at the same time.

If this is the route you are going, then Ondar's Guile Keystone is very helpful.

Another tip:
Spoiler
Probably the reason that I am able to do this is because I'm used to killing Brutus in a race environment. When your character is level 7, in blue gear, and probably not wearing chest armor, you have to avoid nearly everything while still trying to kill Brutus as quickly as possible. It really teaches you to kill him efficiently.

Perhaps practice this in a race, or even just simulate a race environment on a new character. Would be much less painful to die in normal than it would be to RIP your high level toon and lose 10%XP every time.
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info