Something I notice about AR vs EVA

"
Jojas wrote:
"
trav_dawg wrote:

30% chance to dodge spells, over a great period of time, will be exactly 30% less spell damage taken. You dodge 30% of the big hits as well as the small. The longer you use acro the closer you will get to 30% less spell damage taken. I understand it doesn't seem that simple because of some hits being big and some being miniscule but you'll dodge 30% of every type of hit, large, small, and everything in between. Google the law of large numbers if that doesn't make sense to you.

Sorry man, but you are missing the point. It doesn't matter whether it averages out in the long run. What matters is that you rarely need it against small critters, meaning most of the time, and against big ones it's a gamble.

Against big hits, armor essentially doesn't do anything anyway. Also, if the big hit is elemental (like vaal smash 50% fire) it does NOTHING for that portion of the damage, whereas dodge/evasion does.

All that is irrelevant though. What I'm saying is we need a way for armor users to mitigate elemental damage beyond 75% resist. Because if you're a 2h user you basically cannot do this (Nearly no builds can run all 3 purities while still doing reasonable damage)
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
Last edited by trav_dawg on Mar 28, 2015, 4:40:43 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Okay, I'll admit I was exaggerating.

But Eva's been better than AR ever since Jade Flasks were introduced.

nope

to understand why EV was so ridiculed before and why people were not keen on abandoning IR/Grace one has to check Purity (of elements) and Elemental Adaptation

in short - as long as Purity gives +4max res (and Ele. Adaptation another +5, later +2) the elemental damage (spell/attack whatever) is not an issue. that was the case in early OB and for some time after.

when people were swearing by Armor we were all running with ~85% all res. what was left were phys attack and spells. difference in damage taken between 75% res and 85% res is enormous. large enough to make people ignore said damage except for very badly rolled maps

with 1.0 we got CwDT and significant changes to elemental resists with gradual removal of +max resist nodes and +max from generic Purity (of elements). that was the turning point.

early Anarchy league forced people into AR with few exiles that used phys spells that HIT LIKE A TRUCK. any sane HC player was FORCED to stack armor vs these (via flasks or gear - doesnt matter). full EV characters were forced people to log-out when encountering said exiles if they didnt want to wait for that one hit that bypassed spell-block/spell-dodge (that were less sources of..)

NOTE TO SELF
it seems that EV and AR are pretty well balanced when there are two groups (with some players in both of these) claiming that their choice is optimal.
im in the third group - both primary defences (AR and EV) are mostly irrelevant - i use gear ignoring AR/EV values on it.. seems to work pretty well. secondary defense mechanics are simply stronger. so strong that primaries are.. not really needed.

Any mob that had Charge basically 100% always hit and killed Evasion characters. Vaal slam used to be a spell (I think they changed it to an attack stealthily at some point). Also a few other things had RT/Phys Dmg Spells/etc. and murdered Evasion characters.

Not to mention, alot of the more popular Evasion builds are basically impossible to pull off in HC without Lightning Coil (or very difficult to do). I also forgot to mention reflect used to basically murder Evasion builds.

So yeah, Evasion used to suck, really, really, really fucking badly. Then they gave it like thousands of buffs (and deservedly so, it was really hot garbage), while also bringing the hammer on Iron Reflexes and armor in general (directly or indirectly).
Evasion also didn't used to roll twice for crits, while evasion on the tree used to be massively lower. Grace/determination with IR got messed up a lot by the aura changes too, for the best. I like where evasion is now though think armour continues to be lacking simply because it always has and always will do very little against big hits. Stacking a high armour value costs a lot of offensive opportunities and even if you have 10K+ at all times, you're gonna still want a granite to make it matter vs big hits.

Hopefully we'll see some decent changes to IC, EC and the armour formula. Hopefully.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info