World First? PoE made my GPU blow up!

Playing PoE works my PC hard enough to heat my whole lounge. Seriously, sometimes the box sounds like it's going to take off. That's good two birds with one stone value.

Wouldn't surprise me if it destroyed your gpu at all.
We tested it extensively
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
Thomasmgp wrote:

So I was mapping on my 69 Shadow when all of a sudden I got Blue Screened with some crazy errrors related to my graphics card. I can play Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy 14 on ultra settings but PoE causes my GPU to committ suicide? For some reason I find this really funny and it has to be a World First.

Did you even consider the more rational possibility that your GPU was already dying and that it died while you were playing PoE, just as if you were playing any other game at that moment ? I guess not. If my GPU dies when I'm playing X or using Y on my PC, I won't jump to the conclusion that X or Y killed my GPU, because it's more than likely that the hardware itself is the first suspect. The "nothing on my end" mindset make people do some weird reasoning : "1/ I was playing PoE ; 2/ My GPU died while playing PoE ; 3/I was playing other games on max settings and my GPU didn't die while playing them. 4/Therefore, PoE killed my GPU". Hu ?

yea i know thats the reason but its funnier to say "PoE killed my GPU" I had it since 2011 so Im pretty sure it was already on life support. Just got my PC back today. I found a ton of dust and crap inside when I opened it up so I took it to my guy to have him clean it up real good for me. Got a nice shiny new EVGA 2GB GTX 960 as well. I know its not top of the line but its better than what I had.

"
Metronomy wrote:
I blame your keyboard, that thing looks so painful to use.

i have tried pretty much every gaming keyboard out there. I still love my trusty Dell Keyboard I got back in like 2001 lol. I honestly dont know what I would do if it broke. I am already on my second one since my keyoard died from rage smashing years ago. I been using my mom's old keyboard I bought the same time I got mine. Since she has been using laptops and tablets figured I would take the keyboard since it was just collecting dust.

"
Moonyu wrote:
I like me the cookbook under the monitor. Kinda fitting or foreboding?

the one below it is better. Its titled "Fire Arms"

IGN: DabrixRN
Last edited by Thomasmgp on Mar 25, 2015, 3:30:27 PM
it doesnt look fried to me. Seems like the driver failed and it has been set to a vga resolution and colour setting as default so you have a screen to get a new driver in there. Try one before the one you were using or the latest ones.

If it was fried you wouldn't get a pic. The guy who talked about reballing was jumping the gun but it usually helps with things like overheating and crashes.
I think this proves the game is written in C (or rather, C++).
only a language that directly whispers in your hardware's ears, can tell your GPU to take the red pill.
there is no virtualization layer, bytecode or any other kind of "safety net".

GGG, please, for the love of god, if anything would in this life be a sign you should take a look at your code - this would be it.
someone's GPU blowing the fuck up, is a 1000x stronger exclamation mark compared to my own complaints about screen freezing/shuttering.

sorry for your loss, OP.

@MissDerry, it's more than a driver. notice the Windows Loading screenshot, and I bet his BIOS/bootup screen looks similarly.
the GPU is still "alive" enough to splash pixels onto a monitor, but it isn't in a very healthy or usable state.

maybe cooling it down a bit would help though. I hope so.
also, take it out once it's cooled, and check for any visible fried connectors. it's been a really long time since I last did it, but connectors can be cleaned to bring a piece of hardware "back to life". although I don't know if my theory works with any modern hardware.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 25, 2015, 6:13:56 PM
I haven't noticed anything unusual. Temps are same as other games I play.

Besides, I run games with a fan curve so Temps never go pass 60.
Over a decade ago, I had a CPU burnup while using Microsoft Word. Pretty sure MS Word did it.....not the fact I had my tower inside a desk drawer with little airflow. Definitely Microsoft. Those bastards. World first?
I use my twin R9-290x's to heat the room when playing POE. Toasty!
Nothing can really "break" your graphic cards...

Well designed game engines will utilize both ur cpu and gfx efficiently which means your graphics wont be running on peak or near peak when they dont have to. Which means most of the time your graphics will get to cool down a bit here and there.

PoE has a very very bad engine that everyone knows. Shortly as you start playing your gfx fan should be at full blast until you back out of the game or tab out of the game. And an extensive play session makes the gfx put out a great amount of heat. Overtime (especially if you play a lot) your gfx ball bearing will start to give away due to excessive amount of heat then you will have a malfunctioning video card.

Lastly, even with a ceased fan on you video card doesn't mean it's broken... it's just overheating due to lack of ventilation which you can fix by replacing the fan...

eg I had a GTX980 with it's fan barely turning but I can play 3 to 5 hours of LoL before it overheats and crash at the same time I can still play PoE for 15 to 30 minutes before it overheats and crash. PoE doesnt break hardwares... it simple force your rig for work extra hard all the time for no apparent reason because the terrible engine back bone... and if your rig cant handle it it's your own fault not playing on water-cooled i7 and gfx and shit...

PoE is for hardcore people remember?
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Oops... and no, your GPU did not die because PoE is rated as hardcore. When your GPU died you could have been running any game or GPU intensive application. Your GPU ran too hot and burned out some of the billions of transistors that make it work.

Heat is the number one cause of premature GPU death and maximum cooling is needed to ensure a long and happy GPU life. That's why I researched the video card market 5 years ago (I think) before upgrading my GPU. I finally (at that time) decided to buy an MSI R6870 Hawk with the Twin Frozr III cooler. Today it is still humming along very nicely and extremely quiet as the massive heatpipe cooler keeps the dual fans from having to rev up too high and my GPU temps stay below 60ºc playing PoE. If I was upgrading today I'd be seriously looking at MSI video cards with the MSI TwinFrozr Series of coolers. Either the MSI R9-280X TwinFrozr or if I could justify the expense the MSI R9-290 TwinFrozr but that's definitely overkill for PoE.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Poe can be very VERY heavy on GPUs due to all particles and other objects on screen at once. But the game would crash or slow down to 0.1 fps before it blows any hardware...

It does however keep your card working nonstop so if its already failing and you play PoE allot, well... chances are your card will RIP at some point.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info