6 Linking

"
aura0000 wrote:

In my opinion the current solution of adding 1500 fusings to the master Vorici to get a 6-link is way too many. Also, the base average cc. 1200 fusings is too many for an end-game player that wants to experience the rest of the game and needs a 6-link item. In my opinion, the reason the base average of 1200 is way too many is because of the stupidity of the RNG. So, a really lucky guy can pay 1-10 fusings and a really unlucky guy could pay 100,000 fusings (this is not an exaggeration folks). And I've heard around the grapevine that if you add 20% quality in between each fusing that the odds of success are increased by 50%.

I would be happy if there was some way in the direction of "diminishing returns" that a 6-link was more easily acquired for an end-game player.

Suggestions:
1. Increase the success odds by 10-20% for each character level after level 70 with a cap at, say, 85% for a level 90 character. Tag the item to the player so that he cannot sell it -- those guys are already too rich. Make it a UI option so that a player can choose whether or not he wants to have the item tagged to his account or he wants to sell it.

2. Track the number of fusings used and when the player reaches 1000 -- give him the 6-link.

In my opinion, an end-game player (certainly one of level 90 stature) should be ENTITLED to experience the end-game content of each league.

Yes, my character is the most unpopular -- The Duelist and of course the most fun and the most difficult to use. I'm level 90 and I would really like to have a 6-link armor. I'm currently over 1300 fusings and 5200 armor scraps -- yup, on my way to the 100,000 and beyond. BTW, it cost me over 1000 jewelers to get the 6-socket (of which I have no problem, because I have averaged around 300 jewelers for the many 6-socketed items, I've crafted). But the difference in the randomness between an average of 300 and an average of 1200 is significant; and in my opinion, this is not acceptable in its current form. And yes, I used well over 1000 fusings and 4000 scraps with no success for my level 28 PvP character.

+1
I want Shavs in my stash when i hit lvl90, i deserve it.
A quick math lesson for y'all.

Let's say that on average, it takes 1000 fusings for a 6-link
This means that 50% of the players who try will be successful and 50% will not.
Of those 50% who were not successful, for the the next 1000 fusings, 50% will be successful and 50% not. This means that from the original sample, 25% have not been successful and have spent 2000 fusings.
For the next iteration, you end up with 12.5% from the original sample who have not been successful and have spent 3000 fusings.
And so on ...
If your original sample is 100,000 players, you will have 7500 who were not successful and have spent 3000 fusings.
The next iteration leaves 3,750 and so on, spending 4000 fusings. GGG will have many players (in the thousands) that can spend 10-20 years playing this game without ever crafting a 6-link (based on 3-4 challenge leagues per year).

My point is this: Because of the high rng possibility of being unsuccessful for an item that is, imo, fairly essential for some builds to experience the end game -- they will never have the opportunity to experience it.

Comparing Apples to Oranges: Take the Mirror of Kilandra as an example. The Mirror has an extremely high rng ratio. HOWEVER, it is not an essential part of the game. But if a player finds one, he has a huge advantage over 99.999999% of the rest of the players.

What I'm saying in a nutshell, is that I think that a player is entitled to experience the end-game content and as such, GGG should revisit the 6-link issue.
"Share information to increase knowledge."
"... to distinguish Nature from Custom, or that which is established because it is right, from that which is right only because it is established." Samuel Johnson
"
aura0000 wrote:
A quick math lesson for y'all.

Let's say that on average, it takes 1000 fusings for a 6-link
This means that 50% of the players who try will be successful and 50% will not.
Of those 50% who were not successful, for the the next 1000 fusings, 50% will be successful and 50% not. This means that from the original sample, 25% have not been successful and have spent 2000 fusings.
For the next iteration, you end up with 12.5% from the original sample who have not been successful and have spent 3000 fusings.
And so on ...
If your original sample is 100,000 players, you will have 7500 who were not successful and have spent 3000 fusings.
The next iteration leaves 3,750 and so on, spending 4000 fusings. GGG will have many players (in the thousands) that can spend 10-20 years playing this game without ever crafting a 6-link (based on 3-4 challenge leagues per year).

My point is this: Because of the high rng possibility of being unsuccessful for an item that is, imo, fairly essential for some builds to experience the end game -- they will never have the opportunity to experience it.

Comparing Apples to Oranges: Take the Mirror of Kilandra as an example. The Mirror has an extremely high rng ratio. HOWEVER, it is not an essential part of the game. But if a player finds one, he has a huge advantage over 99.999999% of the rest of the players.

What I'm saying in a nutshell, is that I think that a player is entitled to experience the end-game content and as such, GGG should revisit the 6-link issue.

GGG did visit the 6 link issue with master crafting.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
There's no issue, 6 links are supposed to be hard to obtain. Why can't you just accept this?
"Of course we balance knowing players will Alt-F4 out of there."
- Qarl
"
goetzjam wrote:

GGG did visit the 6 link issue with master crafting.

Yes, they did. However!

In my opinion, it fixed nothing for crafters. 1500 fusings is even more expensive than the 1200 or the 600/2400 armor scraps. AND IT'S NOT CRAFTING!

In my opinion it shows the dearth of math expertise of their staff and reminds me that when I went to college for my CSci degree -- I was in a lab group of seniors and we were given a problem to progam. As the old guy, I was given the choice of which part. I picked the math part and solved it with 4 lines of code. Nobody in my group could figure out how to incorporate my code into the larger program -- they had forgotten all about the math library and hadn't used it since they were freshmen (and this was one of the top schools that Microsoft recruited from). Also, my group was the only lab group to send the completed program in on time. 3 weeks later the rest of the class still couldn't solve the math part. This is not me blowing my horn, but an example of how crappy the math understanding and rarity of math understanding is for programmers. An example of GGG's failure, imo, is that they continually have to rebalance the builds, nerf uniques, and redo the passive tree: where a simple spreadsheet could solve most of their problems if someone there knew how to design it properly. The upside, of course, is that we get to redo our character builds free each 3 months. And we get to sell legacy items for exorbitant prices. And we get to copy someone else's build to create an incredibly OP build that GGG has to fix again.

"... to distinguish Nature from Custom, or that which is established because it is right, from that which is right only because it is established." Samuel Johnson
"
Deankar wrote:
There's no issue, 6 links are supposed to be hard to obtain. Why can't you just accept this?

Tedious is not synonymous to hard.

In invasion, I farmed lunaris 3 and made about 40 exalts worth of currency in less than a month (soul taker sold for 25ex, an eternal orb, four exalts and a couple of 1-3ex uniques here and there).

Was it hard? not in the slightest.
Was it tedious and repetitive? definitely.
Did I get a 6L?

So unless GGG makes it hard to get a 6L, it's just simply gated behind nothing but RNG and repetition.

Tell me, do people run 1000 lvl 78 maps to farm for their 6L? Or do they run 1000 lunaris/dominus runs to farm for their 6L.

"
Deankar wrote:

I have no problem with them being hard: The issue is that they are impossible to craft for 1000's of players. And it wasn't hard for one of the posters on this thread that claims to have crafted several with less than 100 fusings.

The issue is the high rng in order to create a 6-link, leaving thousands of players unable to experience the end-game content for several leagues.

In my opinion, the average should give a crafter success. Where it sits now, many can have a 6-link at a low level fairly cheaply; and many more can never craft one.

Going back to my example of the sample of 100,000 players and 1000 fusings average: With 100 fusings total required, you'll get 10,000 players with a 6-link and 90,000 without. In order to be competitive, you have to compete with that top 10%, imo. You need to be in the top 15000 to even get on the ladder. In Torment, this means that you have to be at least level 85 to be in the top 15,000.

At some point, Chris, by saying that a 6-link is an end-game item, we must assume that he has a level requirement in mind referring to a player that would be considered to be in that end-game category. Shouldn't that player be allowed to experience the end-game content when it requires a 6-link. Furthermore, why shouldn't this same player be allowed to be competitive with the rest of the players as he's approaching the end-game where many of the top players already have their 6-link; thus using up his store of fusings in dribs and drabs trying to craft a 6-link in order to remain competitive.
"
Idioticus wrote:

Tedious is not synonymous to hard.

In invasion, I farmed lunaris 3 and made about 40 exalts worth of currency in less than a month (soul taker sold for 25ex, an eternal orb, four exalts and a couple of 1-3ex uniques here and there).

Tedious is also not synonymous with luck.

You could run that again and if no eternal dropped, and no 4 exalts dropped and that soul taker was instead a Karui Ward you could still be farming.

You are rolling dice you hit snake eyes others are not so fortunate.
I need a signature to look legit
"
aura0000 wrote:
The issue is the high rng in order to create a 6-link, leaving thousands of players unable to experience the end-game content for several leagues.

The RNG that will potentially make it unable to experience endgame content is map drops (& cartobox spawns), not a 6-link. All 6-links I've ever created, were after I was already clearing 78 maps. 5L = required, 6L = icing.

Man, I don't like how socketing & linking was "fixed", but there it is: Vorici recipe - anyone can get a guaranteed 6L for 1.5k fus.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 3, 2015, 5:48:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info