Was GGG too good to us?

When I think of Balance I think of Starcraft (not SC2).

It is possible to have strong variety and be balanced at the same time.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
The game would be healthier overall if the difference gap between what's deemed by them as average gear and what is elite gear was narrowed.

It would make it easier for GGG to 'balance' and add things going forward.

I second this.

There is such a MASSIVE power differential on a handful of uniques that this game is essentially a lottery. Now the problem with a lottery is that it's really really fun for the fortunate few winners, but for all the losers, not so much.

I guess the itemization would be very hard to change, but a simple way to make ALL loot items at least partially viable would be too increase the Min-Max ranges for stats on White items ALOT, and increase stats on blue items a LITTLE, so for a stat like raw damage, or ES, or block, etc, players could choose to use a white or blue at the cost of losing the extra stats.

Applying a White bonus, and a lesser Blue bonus would be the easiest way without tinkering with every single item.
I think it was far more random that you give it credit. Some stuff was good. Some stuff bad. Some stuff too good. You only remember the stuff that was too good.

I would suggest that they remove tier one mods from rares and have them only accessible on blues... much like D2 did. Too late now.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Mar 1, 2015, 12:51:59 PM
In my personal opinion the balance of rare and unique items are in a good spot because each fulfills their own role. Rares are for capping resistances, life and armor/evasion/energy shield, whereas uniques can enable some interesting builds, you only have to look at all these fun and often also expensive builds like mjölner, windripper, shavs, pledge of hands etc.

So to speak more interesting ie build enabling uniques should be added when act 4 is released instead of this truckload of vendor trash that was implemented in 1.3.
I would say they didn't realize how strong it was at the time and the future implications.

They are a lot more careful now.
#NeverGoing90
You can argue that they just aren't good at math, failing to see that doubling your life total in a game balanced around one hit kills is a big deal.. or that there's pressure to make really good items people actually want and sometimes go overboard. If the game didn't have chase uniques, why bother playing?

Enigma, Ancestral Recall, most games worth thinking about have holy grails. There will be more ridiculous things like Koam's, the Cloak of Defiance, the Bringer of Rain to come. There will be more nerfs. It will be exciting and we who have no lives will spend years bitching about it.

I'm personally all-in on the "rares should be subpar because they're boring as hell" camp.

"
fix the existing variety of fringe affixes

The power level of each affix isn't even. For example the way the physical damage prefixes affect two stats that multiply with one another.

Making other affixes better only results in power creep or achieving a "good" item more quickly. An example is crit multiplier; no other suffix in the game on non-weapon gear can increase damage so much. It's the equivalent of a "200% increased physical attack damage" suffix on an amulet.

Separate affix pools, say ice swords where say Cold Damage is the best prefix instead of physical damage, are one way to reduce the homogeneity of rares. Takes away the zazz from uniques, though.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Mar 1, 2015, 10:55:34 PM
CHAINS OF HONOR >>>>> ENIGMA

its not like you guys would deserve anything better,
you´re the ones running around at squirrelspeed
shooting lazers armed with horsepowered nuclear warheads,
There is nothing left to give to you.
Not to mention your habits to whine on the forum once you have found a complicated build to play.
In this case it needs to be made easier for the whole cost of destroying it.
No, you really dont deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Step one: Hoard uniques that you personally think are gonna go legacy
Step two: Don't put em up for sale
Step three: QQ in forums, set up a rally on how strong it is and why it should be nerfed.
Step four: GGG actually listens to these people (LOL)
Step five: 150ex per legacy Kaom's sale =]
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
"
Lachdanan wrote:
CHAINS OF HONOR >>>>> ENIGMA

its not like you guys would deserve anything better,
you´re the ones running around at squirrelspeed
shooting lazers armed with horsepowered nuclear warheads,
There is nothing left to give to you.
Not to mention your habits to whine on the forum once you have found a complicated build to play.
In this case it needs to be made easier for the whole cost of destroying it.
No, you really dont deserve.

Uhmm.. What?
#NeverGoing90
"
OJ8_Graz wrote:
Step one: Hoard uniques that you personally think are gonna go legacy
Step two: Don't put em up for sale
Step three: QQ in forums, set up a rally on how strong it is and why it should be nerfed.
Step four: GGG actually listens to these people (LOL)
Step five: 150ex per legacy Kaom's sale =]

Step six: Be gullible enough to believe that GGG balances uniques around players QQ.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info