lvl 50 bosses stronger than lvl 58?

Looking at your stats....man, either my duelist is fucking OP for his level, or you're build could really use some improvements. I'm rocking about twice the DPS (Dual Strike w/ Melee Splash for AoE, also got Melee Physical Damage and Added Cold supporting it) on my dual 1h sword duelist, and he's got 200 less armour but about 400 more evasion rating than you. My resists are kinda bad (really only fire, and it's really bad atm, since I just changed chest armor's and lost a lot of fire resist in the process) since I recently got him into Cruel (currently level 42) so the penalty has made my resistances kinda bad when they were adequate before (this problem will probably gradually solve itself as I work my way through Cruel and find better gear w/ higher elemental resistance rolls).

Here, is a look at my gear:

Here's my skilltree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQABS0JWAvBEdUV7BX2G8ghYCfVNe84GzrtQzFEnkd-TipTu1eXW69fOWBBYEtieWNwZU107XrvgUGE2YTvivCZK5stsHOwq7ZBuR29Nr2Bvqe_1cGLxILKkNP826fd4-lG9OY=

Ingame screenshots of offensive and defensive stats:

Last edited by Frightning_Lightning on Mar 8, 2015, 8:25:24 PM
To answer your original question: every boss has its own unique skillset and abilities. How difficult they are depends less on their level but more on your build.
True, mobs get stronger with each level and 10 lvl +- make a noticeable difference but how your build is set up and how you counteract their strengths and your weaknesses has a far bigger influence.

The specific boss you are talking about is The Revenant, a unique Voidbearer. He uses several skills and most noticeably that blue flame (blue as in really hot fire and not cold damage btw.). Some caster chars can effectively use Arctic Armour and take literally not a single point of damage from that skill but melee chars generally cannot use it with the same effect (or even at all) due to the extreme mana cost.
That means you need to counteract his skills in a different way or simply avoid him at all, it's not like you had to kill him if you pass by. I personally like to play glasscannon builds with low hitpoints but a ton of damage so i can usually simply jump in with a mobility skill and kill him before he can even get me below 75% life. Other options include using a totem to distract him while you damage him from another side or simply kill him from range.

There are many bosses that are trivial for some builds and very hard for others, simply because there are so many different mechanics in this game. There are countless threads that look like "I have made this really awesome build and was facerolling any content until i got to XY. Why is XY so broken ... bug .. cheat .. why u no balance GGG?!!?".
The very simple answer to these threads almost always comes down to a lack of knowledge by the build creator. Almost everyone will brick their first higher level char (usually in the lvl 50-65 range) and i myself as well as many of the other people that are active in the gameplay help forum now did so too back when they made their first char without knowing anything about the game.

Every build requires a balance between offense and defense. If i say glasscannon build, i mean a char that has just enough survivability to be able to kill the more dangerous opponents before they kill you - with a very small buffer - but even that requires a noticeable investment into life, resistances, defenses, damage avoidance etc.. Knowledge is your greatest power in Path of Exile!

PS: If you post your skilltree and gear, it would be much easier to help you. Simply go to the upper left corner and click on your character portrait when logged into the forum. Select your char and click on his gear (single left click) to link it in a post as Frightning_Lightning did. You can also access your skilltree this way and link the URL.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
Aze_Mi_Vithe wrote:
Spoiler
Ok, now you are asking questions, I need answers to......Now I did level a few jems past my use. this I did notice and have replaced them till I can use them again, or with the same, but lower lvl. Now, Like I said before, my resistances are up near the 75% and some over, saying 110%. This might be due to the items I am wearing, either its all added in, I don't know that.
Since we are having a debate on what it is....I'm listing everything out.

Attributes

Strength 180
Dexterity 165
Intelligence 126

Offense

Damage per second 716.1
chance to hit 92%
Attacks per second 2.2
Main hand total combined damage 219-508
Main hand physical damage 219-508
Main hand accuracy rating 1452
Main hand attack speed modifier +71%
Main hand critical strike chance 6.6%
Main hand critical strike multiplier 150%
Main hand life leech from physical attacks 7% (+7% with spell)
Off hand total combined damage 238-424
Off hand physical damage 212-355
Off hand cold damage 24-44
Off hand lightning damage 2-25
Off hand accuracy rating 1430
Off hand attack speed modifier +69%
Off hand critical strike chance 6.6%
Off hand critical strike multiplier 150%
Off hand life leech from physical attacks 7% (+7% with spell)
Stun duration modifier +20%

Defense

Armour 1363
Estimated physical damage reduction 31%
Evasion rating 1463
Estimated chance to evade attacks 33%
Maximum energy shield 19
Energy shield recharge per second 6.3
Life regeneration per second 23.9
Mana regeneration per second 13.7
Cannot be stunned Yes
Fire resistance 7% (+50% with spell)
Cold resistance 29% (+50% with spell)
Lightning resistance 62%
Chaos resistance -43%
Chance to block attacks 22%
Block recovery modifier +50%
Stun recovery modifier +41%
Physical damage reflected to melee attackers 34

Misc

Increased rarity of items dropped by slain monsters +110%

Charges

Endurance charges 0/3
Physical damage reduction per endurance charge 4%
Additional elemental resistance per endurance charge 4%
Frenzy charges 0/3
Attack speed modifier per frenzy charge 5%
cast speed modifier per frenzy charge 5%
power charges 0/3
Critical strike chance modifier per power charge +50%

Jems in use

Main hand Lightning Strike
Herald of Ice
Weapon Elemental Damage

Off hand Faster Attacks
Added Fire Damage
Life Leech

Helm Vitality
Warlock's Mark
Curse On Hit
Purity of Fire

Body Life Gain on Hit
Molten Strike
Multistrike
Additional Accuracy
Blood Rage

Gloves Herald of Thunder
Mana Leech
Item Rarity

Boots Fenzy
Purity of Ice
Riposte
Physical to Lightning

As I stated before. this is not a bad build. can walk through most of this easily. I have come back to cruel mode to find some areas with up to 3 bosses, instead of the original. In most cases, I can walk even though two to three bosses, but something has changed, that much is certain. Things don't just change without something being noticed and I did notice. I was almost to lvl 56 again last night and ran into a group of bosses that set me back......

You should have just linked your gear and skill tree.
From what I could read here, your build is a mess - you have Herald of Ice, Herald of Thunder AND 2 purities and vitality. Nothing is supported by reduced mana. You are using Blood Rage with -43% chaos resist, which will negate 1/4 of you life leech. (assuming you will ever reach the cap. From what I can see, you are using LGoH and not leech). Your main attack is not supported by anything useful - I assume it is molten strike.

There is so much wrong in your build, that I don't even know where to begin. I'll just go ahead and try a shock treatment, by giving you my level 86 Templar gear, so you can see how PROPER links look like:

Every gem has its place. If you ever age going to use an "MANA RESERVE" gem you ALWAYS want it to be linked to reduced mana, so you can run more of them at once. I'm running Herald of Ash, Vitality AND Purity of Lightning.
Secondly, I'm using Blood Rage, BUT I have 50%+ chaos resist, on merciless. (I'm using it only for frenzy charges, and only to increase clear speed a lil bit.)

The main problem I see in your gems, is that you have many random ones lying around, and you won't be ever be able to use them at once. If you are going for molten strike, you don't need that frenzy (especially if you are running blood rage). If you are running purity of fire, you don't need a dozen more aura gems. Use these sockets to run stuff like Vengeance, Riposte, Cast When Damage Taken, or anything else you'll be able to use. Also, I think you do not understand how many of the support gems work.

You have much to learn, really. Don't expect someone to explain EVERYTHING to you in a single forum post, because most of us needed year or so to understand all that.
If I were to give one tip, I'd say go to the PoE Wiki and read every single page about Gems you are using, especially the interaction part.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Mar 9, 2015, 2:45:07 AM
While attempting to withhold making comments similar to those who've posted before me, a player can create a path that will not work in game. I've created a few videos to help the new player with these issues.

Starting out on the Strand -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG73UvVXFUw&list=PLA7erk0oNe2rybFwr-X5O7wjDBkdkUcOB&index=10

How to Build -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FfvogWqQig&list=PLA7erk0oNe2rybFwr-X5O7wjDBkdkUcOB&index=11

Advanced leveling techniques -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8Kl7Gy_3k&list=PLA7erk0oNe2rybFwr-X5O7wjDBkdkUcOB&index=6

I hope you find these useful! Feel free to contact me in game, or leave comments. I enjoy helping new players.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Just watched the "How to Build" video and you say some good things. I don't fully agree on everything but i guess that has to be expected since a lot comes down to personal preference anyway. There is just one thing i really have to criticize: please turn down the volume of the ingame music a bit while you record, it is really distracting from your voice and the content of the video.

One more thing to note regarding the balance between offense and defense:
A typical endgame build with a total of 100 skillpoints (~lvl 82) will use ~20 points for pathing. That means points spent on the small +10 to stat nodes to get to the good clusters. About ~30 points each will be put into defense and offense, which leaves only ~20 skillpoints to define whether your build leans more towards offense, defense or utility/support.
Those numbers are just examples but reality usually comes reasonably close to that.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
Aze_Mi_Vithe wrote:
Ok...I have tested it.....In cruel, all resistances are %75+, when in merciless, they drop drastically. I rearranged a few items and now I'm in the 40-50% range, before using spells. Its better, but not perfect. How can resistance drop so much between levels? I'm loosing 30-40% just going into merciless.
OP, that's not even funny.
First you were hinted, then you were plain told about resistance penalties, and only after that you start noticing that something is wrong with your resistances? Did you even read another peoples' answers before 3rd page?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
It wasn't anything to do with resistance....that had to do with merciless, what I was asking is why all of a sudden I was dying in cruel mode, with 75% resistances and dying against bosses I had previously beaten.....did anyone read this? Only about 2-3 people actually read this.......Did you as well?....I think not. I want to thank a few for their input.....Enfeeble is priceless.....I have it linked to Cast on Damage Taken. Works really good. Other than just getting up to level, I'm now clearing rooms within seconds and adding Herald of Thunder adds lightning to my attack as well as a nasty array of lightning bolts for critical hits.....which is what I'm working on......I don't just want to hit physical and fire, I have all but chaos damage added and have dropped Blood Rage. Having a mix of elemental damages helps against those that have certain elemental resistances, now I just need to add Elemental Penetration. I invite anyone to see how my guy can clear a room or boss, up to lvl 66-67. And yes, my toon is that good.
"
Aze_Mi_Vithe wrote:
It wasn't anything to do with resistance....that had to do with merciless, what I was asking is why all of a sudden I was dying in cruel mode
Wait, what is that then
"
Aze_Mi_Vithe wrote:
Ok...I have tested it.....In cruel, all resistances are %75+, when in merciless, they drop drastically. I rearranged a few items and now I'm in the 40-50% range, before using spells. Its better, but not perfect. How can resistance drop so much between levels? I'm loosing 30-40% just going into merciless.
Mind you, that was sentence I was referring to in my previous post. It was even quoted right there...

Also,
"
Aze_Mi_Vithe wrote:
, with 75% resistances
Yeah, sure. Even it was merciless numbers than in cruel you wouldn't have all of them at 75%.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info