Diagram: Charlevel-Fun

Mine is a flat line up to about 25, a huge bump and then a steady growth to 55ish, then a rapid and massive growth to 80, then it completely flatlines for everything after that.

---

The early-early game is just dull. You can't even fan out to do different things because you're hamstrung by limited skill options and the tree is mostly highway allocation.

After that bit when the L31 (last) gems come in, the build starts to stand on its own, the tree starts really getting definition, and the enemies finally start requiring you to pay attention ultimately through Merc A3. Hopefully your attacking gimmick is working out and your defenses aren't completely garbage.

From there to 80ish, it's low maps and boss runs and the build is fleshed out and starts to feel really strong and thematic. You get to run into all the shortcomings of the build and hope that you planned to deal with them ahead of time and it requires the most thought. It's around here that I write down what all worked and didn't work for use in future characters and any feedback I give.

Everything after that is a desert wasteland. The build isn't changing any more, no more build-changing uniques or skills left to find, you've hammered out all the rough spots through trial and error in maps, and it's just... a long road to 100 with progressively higher numbers for you and progressively higher numbers for enemies. Fuck that; roll a new character.
Last edited by pneuma on Feb 27, 2015, 7:52:18 PM
Nice read, quality posts as always charan. Always refreshing to hear opinions from the non hardcore, but also not quite casual poe players. If you aren't level 100 in game, you are level 100 on the forums :P. And its always nice to be reminded how there are so many ways to play the game; racing, pvp, temp leagues, perm league, hardcore, softcore, mapping, leveling, parties, solo, self found, and even personal, self made challenges. I think it's the fact that GGG didn't intend for the game to be played a specific way is what makes it attractive, compelling and compulsive.

I just figured most people would find mapping at least the medium part of their gameplay, not the least fun :S. But the endgame of courtyard shipyard palace shrine may not appeal to everyone, and that's understandable. Hell, for the past 2 weeks I haven't even entered a map, all I'm doing is leveling characters in BL, so I can't say leveling is a complete waste, it does have pleasures of its own :D. Honestly, beating cruel dominus as solo self found was almost as pleasurable as beating atziri for the first time :P.

completely off topic
what do you do for a living? IIRC the ruler of wraeclast title costs about 12k, and you have probably spent alot more than that on the game. you probably aren't a starving student to be able to spend so much on a video game =D?
Last edited by CabooseDog on Feb 27, 2015, 8:27:14 PM
"
Spoiler
Deal drugs and pimp bitches.

Looks like my earlier suspicion (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192996) about BMBI and Charan being the same person is true! Because charan is too mature to post something like that, its too much of a deviation from his 5k+ word, wall of text essays that leave me questioning what I've done with my life :^D
Last edited by CabooseDog on Feb 27, 2015, 8:32:21 PM
"

Your obsession with me is flattering and your post in the race discussion forums made me epic lulzies

<3

PS I'm not Charan

-BMBI1

ZZZZZZZZ its less of an obsession more than it is a building level of annoyance at your constant, unending trolling man. You know it, I know it, and it just gets annoying after a while.

Its funny, I asked for the user block thread, and it was a bit ironic that you were the first and only person to respond. Coincidence much?

I'm somewhat surprised that you don't get tired of it yourself, really.

@OP: Sorry to derail your thread.

Last edited by CabooseDog on Feb 27, 2015, 9:10:25 PM
"
"
CabooseDog wrote:
"
Spoiler
Deal drugs and pimp bitches.

Looks like my earlier suspicion (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192996) about BMBI and Charan being the same person is true! Because charan is too mature to post something like that, its too much of a deviation from his 5k+ word, wall of text essays that leave me questioning what I've done with my life :^D

Your obsession with me is flattering and your post in the race discussion forums made me epic lulzies

<3

PS I'm not Charan

-BMBI1
PS I am also not Charan
Been looking for you for a while krillson, why do you want rainbowstrides? And how the fk do I use a fishing rod.
I tend to have the most fun leveling through cruel and merciless with self-found gear. Normal is too easy once you're experienced and by the time you start mapping in earnest your build is typically stable. I enjoy the thrill of surviving difficult content with a motley collection of blue items, an incomplete skill tree and a handful of 2-links.
Last edited by FunkyFritter on Feb 27, 2015, 9:33:49 PM
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
I don't really get "hooked" on a character til the high 80s or even level 90 sometimes for some reason. Those last several skill points can really be a game-changer for passive pathing...

Meh, maybe I'm just a masochist.

Same here. The more points you have, the more options you get with your build. I'm about to hit level 94 for the second time, and, while getting there is really painful, it does open up the possibilities. Since I stick to Standard these days, possibilities, especially when tree changes/resets come, are nice.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
I decided to do my own graph. I think I have issues.

I also spoiler tabbed a rant I went on but then wasn't happy with. I decided instead of deleting it to leave it in case anyone wants to read it.

Spoiler
I think a lot of people that don't care about 'end game' would care about end game, if the plot and quests continued all the way to 100. The problem is that the content effectively stops at 78. (Lets leave the Atziris out of this one)

So let us stop and think about that for a second. My highest level character is 92. That means I am 14 levels above the highest content the game has to offer me. You can see why many people start to lose interest around maps. If you have time to kill, you can keep progressing. Hardcore gets around this a bit since you could die at any time and have to start over, but lets be honest. Once you are 14 levels above content, if you die, it is your fault. It all becomes so trivial and pointless that there really is no point to continue.

So as Charan said, 100 is only there because its nicer to stop the level range at a flat 100 for those who want to push for it pointlessly than at 78.

Once we have quests and actual game content that lasts all the way to 100? I think even Charan will care about becoming powerful enough to take it on.

As it is now, beyond 78 becomes kind of pointless. You've basically finished the game and everything from there on is just a time sink because you enjoy playing the character. You certainly don't feel like you are accomplishing anything. At least I don't. Dumb and mindless, but sometimes that is all I want.

That is why I was kind of surprised when Chris said Act 4's content won't be pushing further, so I don't have to crush enemies 10+ levels under me anymore.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
I don't really get "hooked" on a character til the high 80s or even level 90 sometimes for some reason. Those last several skill points can really be a game-changer for passive pathing sometimes and I get addicted to those last little nuggets of life/damage/whatever.

Meh, maybe I'm just a masochist.

I feel the same way.

After the 1.3 changes to the strength section of the tree, I turned my Blood Magic Facebreaker Cyclone character into a variant that runs on Mana. It just struck me out of nowhere during the respec, when I realized I had a dozen extra points that were not fundamental to the build's mechanics.

That's something I couldn't have done if I had stopped leveling at 70. So when I see people pinpointing a certain level as the end of the game for them, it just boggles my mind. The passive tree is full of surprises to me and it's a good incentive to play a character as long as it remains fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info