Phys bow crafting - alt/regal method

So... I need some more advice :)

I've been following the tips above and I've been regaling on good flat phys mods but all of those attempts have been crap. The alt/regal gods have hated me somewhat.

Then this happened:

I really don't have much currency left, but is this something I should save for an eternal orb for? Or do I just yolo regal, see what happens and know that with at least multimod and crit I'll be getting something pretty good?
Well it's up to you really but to give you some pointers (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, this is not my strong suit):

If the statistics linked in the first reply are true and the chance for tyrannical is somewhere at 0.09% that means that the odds of getting it are stacked 1111:1 against you. That's about 2.5 ex worth of alts. Sometimes you will get a good roll with it, frequently a bad one, sometimes none like you did. An Eternal is 4-5 ex in Torment, don't know about standard. Considering the pairings you can get with your Tyrannical and that most of them are bad, it probably pretty much comes down to a wash between eternaling and just rerolling if you hit a bad regal.
Buying Alts is a bitch, buying Eternals too.

What I'm saying is: Do what you will :)
Don't think the 2 methods make a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. But I'm happy to be corrected by someone more into the whole probability thing.
honestly? sell that bow and restart with a good stock of currency
"
Hybrid is preferred since we can't craft it anymore.

thats not right surely?

max roll hybrid = 80%, max bench for ipd is 79% = total 159% taking up 2 prefixes if you hit max possible roll on both of them.

max ipd = 169% taking up 1 prefix if you hit max roll on just that 1 stat, which is far easier than hitting it on 2 stats at the same time.

Then you have a free prefix for a flat ele damage, wed, attack projectiles return mod (potentially sick), life/mana leech.... hitting top ipd is so much better than hitting top hybrid, this whole idea that now you want to hit hybrid because we cant bench it is a really flawed idea that I see a lot of people saying now days, it doesnt make any sense when you actually think about it, you always want the full ipd instead.

If that were my bow id regal it as it is now, if its a rip then so be it, back to the alts. Eternals are way too expensive to be using them on a single stat blue weapon imo. If I hit T1 or T2 flat phys, crit chance or ipd Id regal it, T3/4 flat phys do the granite recipe up to T2 and then regal, Id just keep going till something clicked into place. Sure Id regal T1 hybrid if it came up but its a second class stat compared to tyrannical, big time.

"
xMustard wrote:
honestly? sell that bow and restart with a good stock of currency

crazy talk
"
KingTen87 wrote:
So... I need some more advice :)

I've been following the tips above and I've been regaling on good flat phys mods but all of those attempts have been crap. The alt/regal gods have hated me somewhat.

Then this happened:

I really don't have much currency left, but is this something I should save for an eternal orb for? Or do I just yolo regal, see what happens and know that with at least multimod and crit I'll be getting something pretty good?

My advice would be to master craft fire dmg., and then regal it. After you can remove the master crafted mod. By doing it this way you eliminate 1 unwanted mod and raise your odds by a tiny margin of getting something good.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
Last edited by Dkodr on Feb 28, 2015, 7:27:44 AM
I've briefly had a look over what others have said earlier and I don't think my tip was mentioned.

If you want to roll a good bow, you need to realise that you have a 1 in 8000 chance of rolling a bow with dps of 360+ and 1 in 200 or so, of rolling one that does 300+ dps.

My tips (someone shut me down in global 3 yesterday saying this was stupid, but I reckon it is actually very smart if you are trying to meet requirements and NOT specific rolls).

1. getting a high "+local physical damage" is much more important than some absurdly rare "+% physical damage" roll. It seems a lot of people say a bow with +30% phys is bad, even if it has a flaring roll. These rolls are much easier to get.

2. burn a seventh as many regals as you burn alterations (seven is random by the way). Conditions for the regal are: if you are after 360 dps+, regal any T2+ physical prefix and if you are after 300+ regal anything T4+. A regal to a great mod from medium mods is the same as a regal from great mods to medium mods.

3. if you have the transmutes, transmute every harbinger (itemlevel irrelevent). If the harbinger is 73+ use 4 alts then vender, if it's 77+ use 20 alts then stick in storage for a later day (use for crafting days and spamming alts/regals)

4. you are going to need scourings to get rid of regals, so keep a few around.

5. if you want a perfect item you will struggle to afford it, so you should be willing to make sacrifices (such as one brick suffix or something).

6. If you have a single prefix/suffix T1 magic harbinger then you should regal it instead of augmenting. At least tora can add a mod of your choice and not a brick.

Now, before you say that all of this advice is expensive and stupid... After messing around with 100+ harbingers these last 2 weeks I found this ilv 77 with a crap rare roll. Scoured + transmuted and got T2 +local phys and red attri. That met my requirements for an upgrade to my current 300dps harb. So I regaled and randomly got tyrannical - this was done with around 3 chaos of rolls. I'm not saying that this is common, but it can happen eventually if you are diligent and willing to sacrifice many bows. I find that the 400dps out ways the critical roll so I use the 400 dps (I still have 60% crit chance which is fine).

I hope this helped,
Richard
Last edited by RichardFox on Feb 28, 2015, 2:14:27 PM
I think the thing which was causing the most indecision was the fact that a bad regal would knacker what was a really promising bow, whereas if I sold it off now it could potentially be worth a bit. Having thought about it though, the cost and sheer tedium of having to buy fuses, let alone 6-linking, has helped me realise that if a regal does brick it then screw it, I'll go back to alt spamming. Even crafting flat phys from Tora I'll get a 250 DPS 6L bow, which is a big upgrade on my 180 DPS 4L. I can then come back and re-craft later once I've got more currency and aim for 300 DPS+.
Update - as expected, the regal was a spectacular brick:

A number of unsuccessful alt/regal attempts followed on Harbinger number two with what I had decided would be my last bunch of crafting alts for a while. With about 15 alts remaining of my 300 stack I hit another tyrannical roll with a +dex suffix. Happily, even though +dex is an unspectacular mod, I went for it and this time the regal was more of a success:

I'm going to spend a few more ex on each of these and then call it a day. My plan is to craft crit chance or attack speed and then yolo exalt the remaining mods. In an ideal world I hit the missing phys roll, but I would quite happily take + bow gems, leech or WED. A decent attack speed roll puts the second bow at 340 DPS which would be a great outcome, plus there's still the chance it will hit hybrid on the exalt and become even better.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge on this thread, it's been much appreciated!
Last edited by KingTen87 on Feb 28, 2015, 9:02:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info