Phys bow crafting - alt/regal method

I've managed to 6L an iLvl 73 Harbinger which I want to craft into a nice phys bow for my TS ranger. I've been reading a lot of posts on the best way to do this, but a lot of these are pre-Tora nerf, so I'm looking for advice on the best approach since that patch.

For context, I don't play the game crazy amounts so I'm not after BiS - 300/350 pDps and high crit would be awesome.

My original plan was to alt spam until I hit one of the higher tier phys rolls like cruel or tyrannical. Having looked at what Tora still offers, I was wondering whether that maybe isn't the best plan for a few reasons:

1. From a suffix perspective I only really care about getting crit chance, crit multi or attack speed - hitting cruel/flaring will be difficult enough on its own, let alone with a usable suffix

2. I can still hit the hybrid phys mod up to 80% (emperors) with alts/regals

3. Tora can only bench craft what is effectively a 'gleaming' phys roll - alts could land me anything less than flaring

4. Tora can bench craft up to 79% phys

With that in mind, I was thinking that I should maybe look to regal when I hit a decent hybrid roll or a decent flat phys roll, combined with a decent suffix like crit or attack speed? Say I hit a decent hybrid roll, I can then craft Tora's 79% and end up with a nice 140/150/160% phys bow with crit.

TL;DR - Seen as you can master craft up to 79% phys, should I prioritise a high flat phys and/or high hybrid phys over something like cruel/tyrannical phys% ? Considering hybrid is the one mod which cant be crafted, is that now the more valuable mod to get during the alt/regal step?

Last edited by KingTen87 on Feb 26, 2015, 7:41:44 PM
This topic has been up some times on reddit, check it out..
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/search?q=craft+bow&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=all
Also you use http://poedb.tw/us/mod.php?type=14 to get a impression of your odds when crafting. Good luck.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
a good option is to sell the bow along with a prismweave and a blacksmith whetstone for a 105%-ish phys roll, prims cost about 1c so you can scour and do the recipe again if you aug or regal something awful.
Good Luck
Crafting is way harder these days. What I do now is ALT until I get at least a T3 Phys roll (any of the three, but I still prefer physical damage % since it seems to be the hardest to regal) and a T3 crit chance or attack speed for the second mod. I don't waste regals on anything less than double T3, because you still need to regal a useful T3 or better to even make the 2 EX investment for multi mod worth it. And for anything decent you'll still want at least one or two of them to be T2 or T1.

Truthfully though, crafting isn't worth it anymore from a purely investment perspective. It's just way too hard these days to make a good bow. Before they nerfed it, it usually took 10 or so EX's to get a really good bow. Nowadays you can spend 10 EX's in currency and quite likely not even have a 320 pDPS bow. You're better off just buying a decent bow.

Here's what I've got after about 15 EX's spent not including the currency it took to 6L it:

It's fun to craft and I still do it, but you can almost always buy a better bow for the same currency these days...
k im going to be helpful for once

step 1: roll razor prefix on your bow
step 2: vendor your bow with a granite flask + 1 whetstone/aug (I forget which one it is)
step 3: regal your bow with its new t2 tempered flat phys roll
step 4: see below

cost 4 ex to craft btw. Even if you're unlucky you can easily hit 330-340 pdps (lower hybrid roll) which is still higher than what most people manage to craft. From my personal experience 310 pdps is the 1st threshold for bow crafting. After that 330 is the next step up. After that 340, after that 350 and then finally we jump into 400+ pdps territory.

rolling for t1 imo is very stupid unless you have the currency to do so/you get lucky. Not many people even know about the above recipe because people cant into google. The bow I linked is 367 pdps. The hybrid and flat phys are both tier 2.

Obviously you dont need to follow this recipe as you can deff regal a cruel roll or even bloodthirsty. Regals are only 2c so dont be afraid to burn through 10-20 of them before getting a nice result. However you should follow this recipe because in just 100 alts you will probably hit razor twice. In that same 100 alts your chance for tyrannical/cruel/emperors etc are very slim. At the end of the day you do not want master crafted flat phys on your bow unless you already rolled 190+ ipd %. Only then is mastercrafting flat phys acceptable. Any lower and your bow will come out subpar. Same rule applies if you roll flaring and then get stuck with master craft 60-79 ipd%

good luck

IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
Last edited by GreatWhite47 on Feb 27, 2015, 12:30:39 AM
"
GreatWhite47 wrote:

Info

Thanks for the info, much appreciated but why Razor?
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
"
rockmassif wrote:
"
GreatWhite47 wrote:

Info

Thanks for the info, much appreciated but why Razor?

because it sounds cool
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
Thanks for all the replies guys. I know crafting bows got harder and that I could buy one for cheaper, but trawling through poe.xyz for upgrades on my poison arrow ranger is part of the reason I was starting to get fed up with the game. I set myself a project to craft a bow so I farmed 73+ maps for the base, jewellered it to a 6S and then farmed ALTs to trade up to fusings and 6L'd it myself last night. I actually got crazy lucky with it too - I had two harbingers, spent about 150 fuse and got one to 5L. Decided to scour the other one which I'd had for a while which was iLvl 74 and perfect implicit and managed to hit 6L in THREE fuses! /minifistbump

Anyway, I don't play the game loads so I don't really need to buy the bow immediately to clear high content - right now the game for me is this craft and then I'll push my character on to try atziri.
"
VixTrader wrote:
Crafting is way harder these days. What I do now is ALT until I get at least a T3 Phys roll (any of the three, but I still prefer physical damage % since it seems to be the hardest to regal) and a T3 crit chance or attack speed for the second mod. I don't waste regals on anything less than double T3, because you still need to regal a useful T3 or better to even make the 2 EX investment for multi mod worth it. And for anything decent you'll still want at least one or two of them to be T2 or T1.

Truthfully though, crafting isn't worth it anymore from a purely investment perspective. It's just way too hard these days to make a good bow. Before they nerfed it, it usually took 10 or so EX's to get a really good bow. Nowadays you can spend 10 EX's in currency and quite likely not even have a 320 pDPS bow. You're better off just buying a decent bow.

Here's what I've got after about 15 EX's spent not including the currency it took to 6L it:

It's fun to craft and I still do it, but you can almost always buy a better bow for the same currency these days...

i miss the hybrid master mod/ better roll chances so very much
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Feb 27, 2015, 8:04:18 AM
"
GreatWhite47 wrote:
k im going to be helpful for once

step 1: roll razor prefix on your bow
step 2: vendor your bow with a granite flask + 1 whetstone/aug (I forget which one it is)
step 3: regal your bow with its new t2 tempered flat phys roll
step 4: see below

cost 4 ex to craft btw. Even if you're unlucky you can easily hit 330-340 pdps (lower hybrid roll) which is still higher than what most people manage to craft. From my personal experience 310 pdps is the 1st threshold for bow crafting. After that 330 is the next step up. After that 340, after that 350 and then finally we jump into 400+ pdps territory.

rolling for t1 imo is very stupid unless you have the currency to do so/you get lucky. Not many people even know about the above recipe because people cant into google. The bow I linked is 367 pdps. The hybrid and flat phys are both tier 2.

Obviously you dont need to follow this recipe as you can deff regal a cruel roll or even bloodthirsty. Regals are only 2c so dont be afraid to burn through 10-20 of them before getting a nice result. However you should follow this recipe because in just 100 alts you will probably hit razor twice. In that same 100 alts your chance for tyrannical/cruel/emperors etc are very slim. At the end of the day you do not want master crafted flat phys on your bow unless you already rolled 190+ ipd %. Only then is mastercrafting flat phys acceptable. Any lower and your bow will come out subpar. Same rule applies if you roll flaring and then get stuck with master craft 60-79 ipd%

good luck

The only downside to this method is that you need to get really lucky on the Regal. Since we can't craft the hybrid phys% anymore, you need to be lucky and roll a high Phys% or decent Hybrid Phys%.

With a perfect T2 flat damage roll (33-57), and a master crafted 79% physical, you end up with 133-290 DPS at 20q. Assuming you're unlucky with the Regal (no Phys% or Hybrid Phys%).

With a perfect master crafted flat damage roll (18-31), and at minimum a Cruel prefix (130%), you end up with 130-300 DPS and 20q. Slightly better.

The benefit of this method is that the flat phys recipe removes other mods, meaning you have a better 1-mod crafting base to Regal. Best case is to get T2 flat phys from the recipe, and then a hybrid phys% roll or T2/T1 phys roll. Hybrid is preferred since we can't craft it anymore. At minimum it's 10% more phys damage. Odds are it would be higher than that.

Because of the limitations, you need to pay attention to your Alt rolling. If you hit 130% or better as one mod (cruel), or 130% and a good suffix (crit chance/multi/AS), those are probably worth regaling as well and hope for a good flat phys, hybrid phys% or alternate suffix roll.
Last edited by nEgativezEro89 on Feb 27, 2015, 1:48:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info