[2.0] Cold-to-Fire Pyre Ice Nova Marauder Tank (Cheap!)

Heyo,

1.) Is this build able to clear high lvl maps and atziri?
2.) Although numbers doesnt matter, do you have a tooltip number anyway for ice nova damage at about Charlvl ~75 and mediocre to decent gear?

Idea: The Consuming Dark (Dagger, 75%) and Infernal Mantle (Cheast, 25%), together they convert 100% of your fire damage to chaos damage.
Would that work? Base Cold -> pyre ring Fire -> Consuming Dark+ Infernal mantle Chaos? Chaos has some advantages, so I am wondering if you could transform your Nova to a "Chaos nova".

Thanks for answers.
"
Curls_amaZing wrote:
Heyo,

1.) Is this build able to clear high lvl maps and atziri?
2.) Although numbers doesnt matter, do you have a tooltip number anyway for ice nova damage at about Charlvl ~75 and mediocre to decent gear?

Idea: The Consuming Dark (Dagger, 75%) and Infernal Mantle (Cheast, 25%), together they convert 100% of your fire damage to chaos damage.
Would that work? Base Cold -> pyre ring Fire -> Consuming Dark+ Infernal mantle Chaos? Chaos has some advantages, so I am wondering if you could transform your Nova to a "Chaos nova".

Thanks for answers.

Hi i' m playing this build(blood magic) with a level 91 marauder and it's definetely able to do high level map, this is my gear, nothing special, almost all self found:

I usually use fire trap for pack of monster and flame surge for bosses, since it cause burning status with 100% my damage thx to celestial punishment and gang's momentum ramp up to 40%+50%(flame surge), along with fire pen and 25% as chaos i can melt everything even with elemental resist and curse immune!
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
Last edited by crazyjake on Jul 22, 2015, 2:41:35 PM
Hey Crazyjake, I'm glad that you like the build. With your build, I'm assuming you tweaked a few other things:

1) You didn't take any of the +Cold% damage nodes
2) You took both Heart of Flame and Breath of Flame in the Witch area

I didn't see any Ice Nova in your links or any other cold spells, so I'm not sure that the Pyre is actually doing much for you - this is probably more of just a tanky fire caster, which is still really cool. I'm glad that the build is versatile enough.

@Curls_amaZing:

I took my 85 Marauder on Standard and added the Blood Magic tree to him to try that version of the build out. I'm using a 5-Link for my Ice Nova (with 20% quality). The links are Ice Nova -> Spell Echo -> Increased AOE -> Concentrated Effect -> Fire Penetration

It's got 9400 dps on the tooltip, but keep in mind that only Ice Nova, Spell Echo, and Conc Effect are doing anything there. I ran a level 75 map quickly and just plowed through it. Toss a fire trap, Ice nova (it echoes), and then anything left standing typically just burned to death. There was absolutely no problem just mowing down everything. Also, with a 20% Quality Ice Nova gem, the AOE hits almost the entire screen. 9400 dps might seem low, but remember, that's hitting EVERYTHING on the screen pretty much. I'm not sure what other spells have that kind of coverage. If you have 20 monsters pulled together, that is going to be almost 200,000 dps. Just tooltip though, don't forget that we are rocking a fire penetration gem which means absolutely nothing for DPS numbers.

DPS BAD. CLEARSPEED GOOD. Don't forget that :)

With respect to 100% Conversion to Chaos damage - yes, that would work. But I'm not sure that it would really be that much of a benefit. Yes, you'd be immune to reflect, but reflect isn't that big of a deal with Warlord's Mark + a Ruby Flask.

Don't forget a few things:

1) If you are taking the Templar Illuminati Wheel, Celestial Punishment gives a 25% damage boost vs Frozen, Shocked, or Ignited enemies. If you aren't dealing fire damage, you aren't going to be igniting them, and you'll never get this bonus (you might get it occasionally from shocked enemies when you have Herald of Thunder running, but it will be rare).

2) The Pyre ring offers a lovely 35% Increased Burning damage. That's a lot of extra damage, and means that packs are going to just die once you've nuked them. That means you can move from pack to pack faster. When you combine that with the 15% damage against Ignited enemies that the Gang's Momentum boots offer, you are potentially throwing away a 50% damage increase here.

3) The Pyre ring also explodes the corpses for you, but only if they are ignited (Chaos damage won't ignite them). This is a Quality of Life thing. Necromancers have a hard time resurrecting exploded corpses. Strongboxes aren't able to resurrect exploded corpses. If you get a nasty Necrovigil pack on some Bloodlines mods, the exploded corpses aren't going to leave behind a green marker to keep their friends invulnerable.

If the advantages that chaos damage offers outweigh the reasons I've presented, then by all means, go 100% Chaos Damage with the build. It should still be pretty darn strong (although slightly less tanky because you are using an Energy Shield chest instead of rocking a Chestplate with 1000+ armour).

I'll see if I can pull together a Sacrifice set and try Atziri. The single target DPS isn't as amazing as some other builds, so it would likely take a while (I guarantee that none of the zombies would ever make it to Atziri during her add phase though...). The build would probably do very well against the Trio, too. The adds that come at you will get obliterated, and the high amount of phys mitigation means that you probably won't have as much problems against the cycloner or the physical rain that comes down from the Tentacle Miscreation.
Last edited by Kesselya on Jul 22, 2015, 3:20:37 PM
Well, Atziri is ... doable. But very, very rough for me. I tried with my level 85 Marauder, and it was pretty rough to be honest. I'm not sure that 85 is quite strong enough to tackle Atziri, but I had a good idea about that going in.

I had to run Purity of Lightning and the Saffell's Frame to get enough Lightning Resistance to not get completely obliterated by the Vaals. I died a few times, but eventually got it. The single target is lacking at the moment to make this where I'd like it to be. I ended up just nuking them down from a distance until they were both quite low and then finishing them off at the same time with Ice Nova.

The Trio was also pretty rough. Without the Granite flask bringing me over 30,000 armour, the physical rain was ridiculous. The gear I tried it with only had 4200 life, so this fight consumed pretty much all of my portals, leaving me really nothing to do Atziri herself with.

I've done Atziri enough that I know what to look out for, so I was able to dodge a lot, but eventually I died during the split phase (and didn't have enough portals after the trio demolished me a few times).

Realistically, I'd want to be in my 90s with this, and I'd want to craft some really nice jewels. I ran it without a single jewel socket, so that's where I'd have put my points next.

I'm pretty sure that a Saffell's Frame is required for this build to do Atziri. No question about it, the +4 to Max Resists and the chance at spell block is pretty much essential. For Atziri herself, I think a Rise of the Phoenix swap for the Saffell's along with Purity of Fire would be what was needed to push my DPS over the edge and make her killable - that's because I'd try and get Righteous Fire running to bring the damage up to where it needs to be for single target.

Ultimately, if you want to kill Atziri, you are better off with a build designed to kill her. This build can do it, if you know exactly what you are doing, and you are willing to sink a lot more currency into the build.
I see that you are specced for blood magic. How do you like it over the aura version? What's the benefit?
"
RIPnRhyme wrote:
I see that you are specced for blood magic. How do you like it over the aura version? What's the benefit?

Any mana problems that the build had before are completely gone. That's the big advantage. The other advantage is the 25% life on the other side of Blood Magic. Those nodes are just absolutely crazy.

I've found that I can still run one 25% aura (which gets reduced to 12.5% life reserved, which isn't too bad in practice). This lets me run either Herald of Thunder or Arctic Armor (for big bosses and reflect maps).

Both have some real advantages. You could run 2 heralds or a herald + AA (or maybe even all 3), and with the changes to the Hallowed Mana Flask (only requiring 4!!!! charges), you could solve all your mana problems that way.

I've played the build twice now with mana, I figured I'd give blood magic a try. The life regen the tree has fills up your life almost instantly after casting a spell.
I ripped today at 76 on my melee sweeper..Giving this a go. I'll keep you updated?
"
RIPnRhyme wrote:
I ripped today at 76 on my melee sweeper..Giving this a go. I'll keep you updated?

Please do! It makes me happy to see people giving this a try. I've got absolutely 0 ego with respect to the build, so any suggestions you have will very likely get incorporated into the build. Already I've had recommendations for a Saffell's Frame, to use Blood Magic, and a few other things - all of which have made it into the core writeup.

My gut feeling is that currently in 2.0, the Blood Magic variant is going to be the stronger of the two. It has significantly more life than the mana variant.
I tried the cold to fire skill tree and it was fine, but i adapted it to my play style, since i wanted to play a trapper :D
However i remember i tried different skills for single target, even with 100% cold converted to fire noone was superior to flame surge, even if dps on paper was almost the same the 50% against burning was too good.
The closest one was freezing pulse but since it doesn' t have the area tag conc effect doesn' t work and so the 20% area damage of the skill tree.
i my opinion ice nova/fire trap for trash clear and flame surge for bosses would be the perfect setup
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
Last edited by crazyjake on Jul 23, 2015, 10:21:43 AM
i am wondering how works secondary dmg of herald of ice. i mean that dmg after shater of enemy. how it works when we converted all cold dmg to fire...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info