Limbo for Hardcore Characters

First of all I'm not a hardcore player. I do play a little bit from time to time mainly to try out league mods and do the challenges. But I do prefer SC, mainly because I prefer a more aggressive (i.e. suicidal) play style.

That being said, you have to ask yourself why people play hardcore (and you should ask yourself why YOU play hardcore and not softcore)...

1) The thrill of a no-return when you die.
2) A more stable economy (because people who die lose their gear).
3) Some other reason I can't think of at the moment.

If you introduce a fee for dying a) some of the thrill is lost and b) that will upset the economy.

The only reasonable "fee" that I could imagine would be that you lose all of your gear in your inventory. But that would mess with the ladder.

So (even as a softcore) player I don't think your idea is feasible.

Now, let me ask you a question: Why do you play hardcore and not standard leagues?
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
Last edited by qwertz on Jan 28, 2015, 1:33:12 PM
Pes_Planus,

If I reflect on my own desires to play HC, I think reasons #1 and #2 are my primary reasons.

My goal with the "limbo/sacrifice" proposal was to find a way to keep most of the sting resulting from a character death, while providing a really tough path to recovery, in the event that you lose a six-link or something due to desync.

In the end though I've come to agree with you. HC is HC is HC. Desync is part of the game, no matter how many threads players create pleading for a fix.
"
Pes_Planus,

If I reflect on my own desires to play HC, I think reasons #1 and #2 are my primary reasons.

My goal with the "limbo/sacrifice" proposal was to find a way to keep most of the sting resulting from a character death, while providing a really tough path to recovery, in the event that you lose a six-link or something due to desync.

In the end though I've come to agree with you. HC is HC is HC. Desync is part of the game, no matter how many threads players create pleading for a fix.

So we found the real reason you made this thread, whining about desync. Awesome, you people get sneakier every day.

News flash: Desync will never be fixed, HC will always be the real HC and people who QQ about HC deaths and blame desync instead of themselves are always going to be the msot petty people on this forum.

So, now reroll, SC, HC, nobody cares because guess what, at the end of the day its just a fucking GAME. You play it to get away from REAL LIFE. So while you lost your precious HC char you can be glad your lived another day.
"

So we found the real reason you made this thread, whining about desync. Awesome, you people get sneakier every day.

News flash: Desync will never be fixed, HC will always be the real HC and people who QQ about HC deaths and blame desync instead of themselves are always going to be the msot petty people on this forum

Wow. Thank you DirkAustin. You're so superior and I'm so petty for talking about something you don't agree with. Get a life and take your elitist attitude elsewhere. These forums are here for people to talk about a game they like to play.

And I was totally being sneaky about whining about desync, cause I never mentioned it, except for every post where I did.
"
I get it, it's hardcore. You get one chance in Hardcore. There's just something about dying due to desync (cyclone skill anyone?) that makes some players feel cheated.

I think Nurvus has a good idea around creating a non-hardcore league around a limbo theme, with that league being more "hardcore" than standard. I bet a lot of people would play it.

Sure, but you're talking about creating a League to deal with a problem that shouldn't exist to begin with.
GGG needs to find a way to deal with desynch and there will be no frustration or cheesy deaths.

But if GGG manages to deal with desynch, they must also deal with alt-f4 abuse and other ways of "cheating" hardcore rules.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
That is a viable league with its own name: Limbo League. A between option for both standard and hardcore, meant to be more punitive at death than standard without being one-shot character at death as hardcore is.
+1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info