Potential Elegant Max Resist Solution

Allow players to change in 25 of an elemental resistance for +1 max resistance of the same kind dynamically.

got 170 fire resistance? No problem, you can now change 50 or 75 for 2 or 3 max resistance in fire.

This would especially benefit chars that are capable of stacking alot of resistances. Chars that use alot of uniques like e.g. shavs+coe+unique rings etc. are not. Pure armour or pure evasion builds on life and es builds that dont use alot of uniques (which usually give no resistances) can.

That way melee/life and non crit builds could be buffed (crit builds use diamond rings and need more affixes for accuracy etc.) passively.

cap: 3
25:1
Either in the charackter sheet with small arrow up/down or at the bottom of the inventory
Either changing back and forth costs an orb like a regret or just make it for free.

Overstacking resistances now will give players a benefit instead of doing nothing.

This is smth that can be used to balance builds passively (the more uniques a build uses the less resistances it can stack). +1 +2 +3 also doesnt have too much of an impact so that it woulnd't run out of control.

Greetings
Last edited by LSN on Jan 26, 2015, 1:35:39 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
up
Maximum elemental resists have to be tightly controlled because the potential exists for elemental immunity. With this kind of mechanic, any amount of max res is available, which means its basically impossible to balance against.

inb4 Dirks words of wisdom
Last edited by Aggropop on Jan 26, 2015, 2:06:31 PM
cap would be 3 for that what I suggested.

Auras need a max resist nerf anyway, as they grant way too much advantage for builds that can use alot of them compared to those who can barely handly 2. Problem solved.
Last edited by LSN on Jan 26, 2015, 2:13:54 PM
missed the cap part, sry.

If your issue is with shavs builds/aura stacking/unique stacking addressing those directly would be a better idea. Roundabout solutions like this will mostly affect regular players with limited gear options and for them elemental auras are not really OP. Giving everyone free access to +max res smells of power creep too.
Last edited by Aggropop on Jan 26, 2015, 3:00:03 PM
"
Aggropop wrote:
missed the cap part, sry.

If your issue is with shavs builds/aura stacking/unique stacking addressing those directly would be a better idea. Roundabout solutions like this will mostly affect regular players with limited gear options and for them elemental auras are not really OP. Giving everyone free access to +max res smells of power creep too.

so auras giving +4-5 max resistance at once isn't anything gamebreaking (and this is only available for a very small minority of builds) but a fair system to gain +max resistances for any build in reasonable, strongly limitated and very hard to achieve way is?

If these elemental auras didnt give any or maybe just +1/2 max resistance, the builds that overstack resistances (also potentially with exactly these auras) could be given this ability with in the above described way.

What would this result in?

Creating a general trade-off balance for all builds that is: the more uniques with special abilities and none/low/few resistances a build uses, the less potential is there to overstack resistances and turn them into +1/2/3 max resistances. Then alot of uniques and builds that evolve around those like e.g. bor, shavs, romira's ring, etc. that make you lose on alot of resistances could be rebuffed and rebalanced (if needed) as using them then would give you the natural and intrinsic disadvantage of losing max resistances in the end of the day and we would have an almost perfect world where strong items naturally have their trade offs.

The now state is that losing on resistances can be made up for easily on other items. So they come with big advantages (e.g. shavs over ci) but the natural trade-offs are only minimal as you can get them easily in another way. Max resistances are something that you can't get in another way and therefore using several special uniques items that give you alot of power is justified with this trade-off.

This is how you balance games. And not making 3 elemental auras that only shavs builds can really use reasonably which give +4/5 max resistances at once while they have their other advantages too. This results in a big mess where no real trade-offs take place, constant displeasure about shavs being op (cause no real trade-offs), bor and kaoms getting nerfed to uselessness and so on.

The system that I suggest here fixes all this as it gives each and every single unique item that doesn't provide as many resistances as a rare could potentially do this trade-off, which in return justifies to make it especially powerful without making it BIS for every build (as you lose the max-resistances).

No need to make stuff more complicated, we just need easy & good mechanics & solutions.

Greetings

Last edited by LSN on Jan 26, 2015, 4:52:10 PM
"
LSN wrote:
cap would be 3 for that what I suggested.

Auras need a max resist nerf anyway, as they grant way too much advantage for builds that can use alot of them compared to those who can barely handly 2. Problem solved.

No, if you can afford to run all three specific purity auras with Empower then you should be able to benefit from it. If you can't then you don't get that benefit.

Don't attack something needlessly.

But I do think turning resistances into maximum resistances would be a good idea. But to prevent it from being broken, make it a percentage of your resistances. Say 15:1, 15% of your fire resistance would be turned into 1% maximum resistance. So if you have 100, 15 of it is turned into 1. This way you can't break the game like we did when auras were numerical reservations.

It's one way to destroy low-life aura stacking, which is abused too much already.
I have the feeling that trading big amounts of resistance for a little bit of max res isn't something that normal players are going to find interesting. Sure, having your little additional 1-2% is nice, but it's not something they'll go out of their way for, unless they are going for highly optimized builds that are close to immunity.

I'd more likely go for something like : every 1% above 100% (not taking max res into account) gives you flat reduction. Maybe 1 = 1, maybe 1 = 2, maybe 2 = 1. I don't know how much, but that would definitely make some players go for that extra reduction, without rendering them immune to that element.
I dunno, it still seems strange to have one stat give bonuses in addition to what it says on it. Elemental resists should be elemental resists, +max should be +max. I'm not against the idea of trading one for the other but I think making it a core mechanic or toggleable at will is too weird. A passive maybe, or a stat on a unique, thats where an ability like this fits. There should be some cost associated with increasing the res cap too, just stacking more res feels too easy and too MMO-ey.

I also think your giving shavs builds way to much attention. Yes they're strong, but most people will never be able to own one. Balancing nerfs around an item so rare is mostly going to hurt innocent bystanders.
ppl ask to balance melee on pure life and armour builds and similar stuff better.

This is a way to go for it in the department of defences. Old legacy uniques then can get rebuffed to the legacy level cause another natural intrinsic trade-off will have been implemented that gives other "normal" items the advantage of potentially getting these max resistances instead in the very end.

We achieve several things:
a) getting rid of several legacy uniques (new players are not exactly motivated by the fact that they can't get them anymore)
b) balancing out stuff better and not giving only shavs users the option to increase their max resistances by 4-5 at once (big step) while they also deal the highest damage (which is why people complain with good reason about it).
c) exactly these builds that are now considered weak, cause they cannot make use of many uniques and special mechanics like e.g. shavs, kaoms, bor, romiras ring, etc. (many more) will benefit from it.
d) we create more room for new exciting uniques that people actually want to play (due to the new drawback it will be legitimate to emphasize the strengthes unique items in general more, as well as rebuffing other and formerly nerfed uniques)

It is a pure win situation for the game. It is in fact the missing link mechanic to create a drawback for using a dozen of uniques with all kind of special effects in your build that still allows you to max out resistances. It will then not allow you to get these additional 1, 2 or 3 max resistances.

Swapping resistances for max resistance at any time will be necessary in order allow people to adapt this to their newest gear changes. It can have a small orb fee tho.

This being said let me answer the following specific quote:

"
Aggropop wrote:

I also think your giving shavs builds way to much attention. Yes they're strong, but most people will never be able to own one. Balancing nerfs around an item so rare is mostly going to hurt innocent bystanders.

a) balancing around shavs? No. I am just taking shavs as one famous example for this. It affects all unique items that are no weapons and do not give 3x45 resistances in the end as well as items that have alot of other useful rolls like e.g. rings: +attributes, attack speed, accuracy.
b) nerfs? No. I am talking about buffs. Buffs for old unique items to legacy level (or even more?) due to the new little drawback for not being able to stack resistances on this slot and buffs for builds that cannot utilize alot of uniques.
c) Giving only shavs users the options to get 3x+4(or 5) max resistances is a plain stupid game design anyway. It should be the other way round: If shavs is the item that allows you to obtain the best damage, then it should not as well allow you to get the best defenses with allowing you to swap in 3x+4/5 max resistances whenever it is required. It is exactly the thing that is broken about it, what people complain about (if they do so) that would get fixed. It would even allow the game designers to emphasize the strengthes of shavs a bit more in return (and other uniques, shavs is just the example here again).

The potential of this suggestion is huge: It creates more room for designing unique items. Due to the new natural disadvantage that uniques which do not provide 3x45 resistances will have then, there will be more room to design interesting uniques without creating plain BIS items that replace normal items and less potential to make them just too weak (which happens oftenly as well). This results in more useful unique designs as the frame where they are going to have to fit in will be enlarged. The potential of balancing mistakes when designing new uniques will be lowered.
Last edited by LSN on Jan 26, 2015, 9:11:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info