Potential Elegant Max Resist Solution

TL;DR: Standard is full of GG stuff.
Easy answer: Get out of standard.
Last edited by Aggropop on Jan 27, 2015, 5:14:11 AM
I like the basic idea.

I'd have any resists over 135 (some set value), convert into +1 max resist for every 25 over cap, allowing this conversion up to 5 times cap.

This would require 260 resists for +5 max, but in merciless you get -60 to start, so you'd really need 320 resist to achieve. I feel this is a reasonable investment.

I'd reconsider some other items, that might give plus max resists easier with less investment, and consider nerfing them to balance as required.

This includes nerfing utility flasks max resists; however, the utlity flask regular resists now would convert into max resists through this mechanism, and the cap on how much can be converted in this way then also brings limitations to stacking of such items. Similiarly, other items could have less max resists, but their regular resists also again now convert...

But stacking all those items is now more limited... which is amazingly smart...
i like the idea of exchanging exeeding resistances for +1 to max of said resistance but they would need to first remove all sort of +max ress from auras and flasks, otherwise achiving 90%+ would be to easy.

if max resistance are removed from puritys and flask, 1 to max ress every 15-20 ress sounds about right to me.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Jan 28, 2015, 5:38:42 PM
"
caboom wrote:
i like the idea of exchanging exeeding resistances for +1 to max of said resistance but they would need to first remove all sort of +max ress from auras and flasks, otherwise achiving 90%+ would be to easy.

if max resistance are removed from puritys and flask, 1 to max ress every 15-20 ress sounds about right to me.

Agreed. Since the flask base resistance can now get converted into max, it needs less actual max on it.
I'm just gonna throw this out there for consideration - most of the heavy duty elemental resistances are down in the southwest part of the tree. There's basically nothing in the northeast.

At least - it seems that way. Every shadow I've ever run has been undercapped horrendously by mreciless, but every templar has been 130+ Allres. (no, I don't usually run sheilds on eithre character, so that's not the difference)

It seems a change like this would definitely benefit strength characters a lot more than evasion ones just by virtue of the tree layout. (not that strength builds don't need some love as is...)

Just something to consider.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Last edited by LostKavi on Jan 28, 2015, 8:25:26 PM
"
Aggropop wrote:
I dunno, it still seems strange to have one stat give bonuses in addition to what it says on it. Elemental resists should be elemental resists, +max should be +max. I'm not against the idea of trading one for the other but I think making it a core mechanic or toggleable at will is too weird. A passive maybe, or a stat on a unique, thats where an ability like this fits. There should be some cost associated with increasing the res cap too, just stacking more res feels too easy and too MMO-ey.

I also think your giving shavs builds way to much attention. Yes they're strong, but most people will never be able to own one. Balancing nerfs around an item so rare is mostly going to hurt innocent bystanders.

If you consider that those passives mostly give about +8 or +12 all resistances or smth like that, it is not the big deal.

The deal would be uniques with low to none resistances on them vs rares than can have up to 3x45 resistances on them. With master crafting it is not that hard to get 3x25-35 on an item anymore. So items like kaoms, bor, abyssus, shavs, coe etc. that all give you some special strengthes but no resistances would get more natural disadvantages and GGG would not have to nerf the shit out of them as in the past (but potentially even rebuff them a bit).
^260 all resist is enough for 5times cap if 25each. 260-60-75=125 :)

Big buff to coc build if this happens, take Alchemist node from witch side,
pop a ruby and RF all the way without Rotp :X
(consider they have infinite flask while in action)

Plus, if pt with an aura guy can easily become invulnerable to elements.

*There are already a way to make 100% resist to all element by CoC builds,
this suggestion can hardly be approve by ggg. :X
"
jacky5047 wrote:
^260 all resist is enough for 5times cap if 25each. 260-60-75=125 :)

Big buff to coc build if this happens, take Alchemist node from witch side,
pop a ruby and RF all the way without Rotp :X
(consider they have infinite flask while in action)

Plus, if pt with an aura guy can easily become invulnerable to elements.

*There are already a way to make 100% resist to all element by CoC builds,
this suggestion can hardly be approve by ggg. :X

You'd have to balance these auras and flasks around this menchanic. Meaning, the flasks and auras might give little to no max resists, as much of that would now be gained through this mechanic instead.

I think such a proposition seems less gimmicky, and more natural than the current state of things. That max resist is actually tied to having a high regular resist.

You could also still consider putting a cap on how much resistance can be gained in this way, or make it a system on diminishing returns. (First point could from the first 15 over cap, the next point could be from the next 20 points over cap, then 25, 30, 35, ... such that for +5 max you'd need 75 + 60 + 125, or 260 base; but for +10 max res you'd then need 75 + 60 + 385 = 520 base... see, such a growth function does such a great job at this... )
Yes, sure. The purity auras that now give max resistances would have to lose this and maybe give you a bit more normal resistances instead. These can be turned into max resistances if the player manages to overcap his resistances with the help of such auras, e.g.

This would give more space to design uniques in a relevant but not overpowered way and therefore make it easier to design them well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info