UI Request: Option to show where the server thinks the monsters are

What I think we would find very instructive is a mode where we store a video of what is happening on the server to view later... or even a few videos made by GGG in parallel to show people what is actually happening and what they see happen in real time on a split screen.

They could even modify variables, like frequency of /oos, to show people that increasing the frequency wouldn't have the desired effect.

They've told us these things, but some people don't believe them, or don't understand them. Showing us would help teach.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
They've told us these things, but some people don't believe them, or don't understand them. Showing us would help teach.

I admit, that I don't understand them but that doesnt mean I have to understand these kind of staff to enjoy the game. One thing I noticed that desynch is barely noticeable after I switched from win 7 to 8.1 64 bit :D
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
There are other UI options I would prefer to be able to select from the UI options menu, for example like show ilvl, automated out of synch every X seconds, enable/disable weather effect, select desired items only to show on the ground, skill bar scaling/positioning etc.
I get desynched very very rarely and it means nothing, sometimes I barely notice. Never died to it tho.

They cant automate /oos, have you not been around when that was talked about in detail?

BTW, in what game can you select what items to show?
"
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
There are other UI options I would prefer to be able to select from the UI options menu, for example like show ilvl, automated out of synch every X seconds, enable/disable weather effect, select desired items only to show on the ground, skill bar scaling/positioning etc.
I get desynched very very rarely and it means nothing, sometimes I barely notice. Never died to it tho.

They cant automate /oos, have you not been around when that was talked about in detail?

No I wasnt around or I didnt paid attention because I didnt found these desynch threads important. It's a neverending story. And you can select which items to show or pickup in MuOnline for example. Another APRG. Classic and old, my 1st online game ever.
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Jan 24, 2015, 11:25:53 AM
"
I understand that the client tries to predict monster behaviour and actions but often does not know, in other words, the infamous desync. I get that trying to guess where the player and monsters actually are (as opposed to where they show up on your screen) is an intentional part of game balance, and that without it, the game would be too easy.

I guess what I'm asking for, is a "Beginner Mode" setting in the "UI Options" which shows icons or something where the monsters actually are, like, on the server, so players can more successfully attack and avoid them.

Veteran players who are more skilled will want to keep "Client Position Guessing" on, in order to preserve the intended flavour and challenge of the game, but for newer players, an option to disable that and show where things actually are would be really helpful.

What do you guys think?

Are you trolling or are you a very new Grandmaster Supporter? You are ignorant of why PoE has so much desync as it does. Please read this first:

Client-server Action Synchronisation

Ok, that having been explained by Chris, if you think about it then it becomes quite clear as to why PoE is full of desync and also why GGG is flawed in their overall reasoning about server/client programming. First of all, what Chris stated makes sense in that if the client waited for each and every monster position change to come from the server before displaying the next frame it would be way too slow. Even my very good 50 ms average ping time to Dallas would result in only 20 fps which would make PoE unplayable. So the client has to be allowed to move the exile faster and give us a higher frame rate for smooth animation and less input lag and the server side simulation has to do "action prediction" because what we see on our end is ahead of where the server simulation is. With the server constantly "predicting" (more like guessing as I see it) which way I'm moving my exile the likelihood of the server getting it wrong is high and thus desync when the client re-adjusts our exile and monster position to match the server simulation.

Now here's where I think GGG is way off base. GGG has coded PoE to place all important calculations such as the positions of all monsters on the server and then update the client every couple of seconds (not exactly sure how often) and then the client redisplays everything (re-syncs) in order to prevent client side hacks. Because the server side simulation is the authority and the client must adjust to the server this is why we see so much desync. But GGG has not prevented cheating in PoE (the resent posts on account banning attests to their failure to prevent cheating) and thus their attempts to prevent client side hacks is blowing up in their face. GGG and their "we must protect our precious PoE economy" at all costs is making the normal non-cheating PoE player (me) very unhappy.

Therefore since GGG can't stop the determined PoE hacker from finding a way to cheat in PoE then they should change their server/client simulations so that the client does the positional and movement calculations and allow the client to be the authority for this specific game logic and have the client update the server.

Note: If GGG were to make a Self-Found league (yes, yes, I know it's not happening) then they should reverse and make the client the authority for position and movement calculations since we wouldn't be trading and their "precious" game economy would not need to be protected. All solo players would be much happier and the result would be a higher desire to support GGG with mtx's or supporter packs.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:

There Are tons of arpgs that allow you to filter loot. For example, I played around 1000 hours of Grim Dawn. In that game, you can set it to show common+, magic+, rare+, etc. it still shows gold and crafting drops no matter what.

I would love a similar feature in Poe, and don't think it would be hard at all for GGG to implement. For example, I would like to only see rares+, RGB, 6s, and currency.
"

Also, this is a suggestion and suggestions is that way ------->

I followed your arrow and it lead to your name. I clicked your name and it took me to your profile.

I can't find where to submit my suggestions on your profile?

#banter
adania/93 --- ElementalNecro/91 --- GwanSauceMan/90
ScionFakeWitch/88 --- WikiWikiWitch/87 --- LArrowToTheKnee/83
Lethal_Injection/80
[b color="#FE2EC8"][b color="#FFAC12"][/b]
"
adania wrote:
"

Also, this is a suggestion and suggestions is that way ------->

I followed your arrow and it lead to your name. I clicked your name and it took me to your profile.

I can't find where to submit my suggestions on your profile?

#banter

So if i pointed to the door in real life and a person was standing in front of it you would try to walk through the person instead of going through the door? beat ya with logic dear. ;)
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Are you trolling or are you a very new Grandmaster Supporter?

Let's imagine for a moment that I was perfectly aware my request was impossible when I made this post.
"
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Are you trolling or are you a very new Grandmaster Supporter?

Let's imagine for a moment that I was perfectly aware my request was impossible when I made this post.
Don't worry, everyone's perfectly aware of the fact that is it possible - traps and shrine spells and so-on are always where the server says they are on the client. It's not a big stretch to extend this to monsters themselves.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info