UI Request: Option to show where the server thinks the monsters are

I understand that the client tries to predict monster behaviour and actions but often does not know, in other words, the infamous desync. I get that trying to guess where the player and monsters actually are (as opposed to where they show up on your screen) is an intentional part of game balance, and that without it, the game would be too easy.

I guess what I'm asking for, is a "Beginner Mode" setting in the "UI Options" which shows icons or something where the monsters actually are, like, on the server, so players can more successfully attack and avoid them.

Veteran players who are more skilled will want to keep "Client Position Guessing" on, in order to preserve the intended flavour and challenge of the game, but for newer players, an option to disable that and show where things actually are would be really helpful.

What do you guys think?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You seem to understand why desync exists, but I think there is a small logical jump here to make. There is monster prediction which results in desync because the client is unable to stay perfectly in sync with the server. Thus, it stands to reason that if icons were implemented, they would suffer from all of the problems that would occur if there were no monster prediction for monsters.

Basically the end result is that icons would never be in sync if implemented without any form of prediction. And prediction will result in desync. It's possible to get accurate information about monster positions if the icon position updates are delayed (basically not real time). But milliseconds are very long in PoE. False information could be lethal.

Or in other words, the icon system would have to mirror the current prediction system used on monsters already, just with icons. If they could get a workaround for this problem with icons, then it stands to reason they could use that same workaround on monster prediction and completely fix desync.

Kind of confusing but meh, my thoughts on it.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Jan 24, 2015, 3:51:38 AM
Um, it doesnt work the way you think it does. If you could have icons to show where something really is it would also desync therefore making this useless. Desync does change all positions, including the position of those icons or whatever you want them to use.

Also, this is a suggestion and suggestions is that way ------->
Rofl, desync isn't there to make the game harder... I don't think you understand the underlying issues there friend.
Dem metal chickens
"
Vorthaz wrote:
Rofl, desync isn't there to make the game harder... I don't think you understand the underlying issues there friend.

Well, that happens when gullible people buy into these comments people make about desync. From it being some anti cheat thing to it being there to make the game harder, we had it all.

Desync is here to prevent cheating :P

OP, if the game would be able to show you 'icons' of where the monsters are on the server, then it might as well show you the actual monsters, no? And get rid of desync completely :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
Desync is here to prevent cheating :P

OP, if the game would be able to show you 'icons' of where the monsters are on the server, then it might as well show you the actual monsters, no? And get rid of desync completely :)

That was my thought when i read the thread title. There are not enough palms in the world to facepalm with.
Oh my o.o

Sorry op, but what you are asking is impossible. However good the intent is behind it :').

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
I understand that the client tries to predict monster behaviour and actions but often does not know, in other words, the infamous desync. I get that trying to guess where the player and monsters actually are (as opposed to where they show up on your screen) is an intentional part of game balance, and that without it, the game would be too easy.

I guess what I'm asking for, is a "Beginner Mode" setting in the "UI Options" which shows icons or something where the monsters actually are, like, on the server, so players can more successfully attack and avoid them.

Veteran players who are more skilled will want to keep "Client Position Guessing" on, in order to preserve the intended flavour and challenge of the game, but for newer players, an option to disable that and show where things actually are would be really helpful.

What do you guys think?

There are times when I think the server uses client prediction, and when the player fails to move their character, the game just moves it for them to where the server thinks they should have moved.

Without running movement skills a lot, I don't get desync often enough to rigorously test this out. Maybe someone with 2 computers or a fast enough machine can test this out.

Basically, two characters would try moving through an area they could easily survive (to be able to ignore monster attacks for a few seconds). Maybe something with lots of doors and clutter, like the Vaal Pyramid. The stronger character would advance into the room. The weaker would then move very quickly around door ways, but careful not to actually enter a room on the first several movements.

What we'd be looking for is when the client does NOT go into the next room, but the server places them there anyways.

I'm 75% sure this happens some of the time, and this isn't what is stated is supposed to be happening.

I might try to run a second instance of PoE on my old machine, but the additional latency would likely destroy any sense of congruity.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
There are other UI options I would prefer to be able to select from the UI options menu, for example like show ilvl, automated out of synch every X seconds, enable/disable weather effect, select desired items only to show on the ground, skill bar scaling/positioning etc.
I get desynched very very rarely and it means nothing, sometimes I barely notice. Never died to it tho.
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Jan 24, 2015, 11:05:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info