Suggestion : XP GAIN/LOSS || OFF / ON SWITCH

I like idea, but could be abused.

Someone could do Apex get to atiziri, turn off xp, and kill atziri.

Or do that with any hard boss, get xp from commmon enemies and switch of only for bosses.

IGN: Pumar, Pumam , PumarR , PumaPunch , PumaWander , PumaCleave, PumaSlams
And there is no problem with that. There is still the 6 portal rule, so really it cant be abused more then cast on death portal. lol

just lets you have a little more fun with maps
Standard League
Lokailith - Level 100 Max Block Static Strike Marauder. Ranked #87 In World
Helped 7 Players Grind To 100 PRE Awakening & 3 Players Post Awakening
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Streaming @ twitch.tv/levy42088
"
levy42088 wrote:
And there is no problem with that. There is still the 6 portal rule, so really it cant be abused more then cast on death portal. lol

just lets you have a little more fun with maps

They added XP loss for punishment if you die in SC, how is this still going to be the case if you could turn it off? Thats why this isnt going to happen.
because its still a punishment. if your going to die, you not going to level. u gotta risk to get reward and thats what this game is about
Standard League
"
levy42088 wrote:
because its still a punishment. if your going to die, you not going to level. u gotta risk to get reward and thats what this game is about

if you turn off XP loss you safe your XP at that state its in though, how is that punishment? You do atziri and lock your XP before the fight so you cant lose any and after for lvling you turn it on again. Wow, such punishment.
"
levy42088 wrote:

So how does removing all risk fit into that? I think OP just wants free stuffz for his pals and isnt willing to put in the effort.
Really, whats the difference between my whole group doing a palace map, then i solo the boss and give them the map drops. Its the same thing except more people get to experience a fun fight. and the fights are tough enough that the reward is nice.

If you can kill the boss, wether it takes u 1 portal or 6 portals, you still going to get the boss loot. So this just allows you to do that same thing but u wont lose the xp if u chose not to gain any.
Standard League
OP has a point, lackluster as his suggestion might be.
I rarely ever do any bosses or any map that's not an easy one. Why should I?
There is no reward to the risk, only a little item quantity, which is the equivalent of just buying two lottery tickets. It doesn't raise your chance to get the jackpot by that much.
And I bet most players, if they feel threatened by any high amount of damage or anything, either just Alt + F4 or run like hell, fearing to lose precious XP, which negates hours of playtime.
The main method to tackle a dangerous situation in this game is just to nope out. Why should you kill a map boss like Carnage? Will he drop anything good? Most likely not. Why risk your xp?

While I oppose any XP penalty because, believe it or not, dying sucks even without devastating consequences, I am in favour of a "xp-tax", meaning that upon death, you'll get xp at a reduced rate until you've paid off the xp you'd normally have lost.

Now you can jump at my throat for being a glass cannon apologist or an entitled subhuman or a dirty casual for daring to criticise the "hardcore" mindset of the devs.
Running away is the opposite of hardcore.
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
"
Running away is the opposite of hardcore.

Retreat is a completely valid tactic both IRL and in games. Alt - F4 spam is a blight, sure, but changing the way XP penalties are applied won't change that one bit.

Its pretty simple IMO: Either your spec can survive an encounter or it can't. If it can't, it shouldn't be entitled to any rewards. I don't think this kind of thinking is remotely "Hardcore". As to XP loss: The only other valuable commodity in PoE besides XP is loot. And since penalizing loot on death would be even more annoying, XP is the natural choice.

Last edited by Aggropop on Jan 24, 2015, 3:54:16 PM
"
If it can't, it shouldn't be entitled to any rewards.

"
it shouldn't be entitled to any rewards.

"
any rewards.

"
rewards

Literally what rewards?
There is none to surviving a particularly dangerous encounter, and you damn well know it.

Every single item Carnage or Magnus "desync" Stonethorn might drop can also be dropped by a pack of trash mobs of the same level. Hell, you can get the very same items from just breaking a damn barrel.
Every point of xp those murder machines might give you if they actually don't succeed in just killing you before you know what's going on can be received by killing, again, a pack of trash mobs.
Why would anyone even attempt to kill any boss which doesn't have a 0% chance to kill you?
We aren't talking about "Oh, this guy's buff. he BUFF. I'll let him live."
We are talking about "Well, my well geared and finished build can probably kill him, but I don't want to lose another day of playtime, so I'll just skip him."
Skipping by default =/= retreating after noticing some challenge is too much.
Also, there is hardly any of the latter in this game. It's basically "Hey! See this guy? Boom. you're dead. git gud. l2p noob."
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info