What about SANE “Set mechanics”?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
(1) There would be zero instances where standard mod is superior to set mod. I'm not talking virtually zero, I mean literally zero.

When people are trying to get ideal gear up, they're min-maxing things. Maybe want a lot of life and weapon elemental damage; maybe you want a lot of energy shield and spell critical chance... it doesn't matter, you want a lot of your mods and not very much of other mods. (2) Set items just give more rewards for what people are doing anyway — streamlining their gear.

(3) If anything, this would make uniques less attractive. Why have a cool and interesting twist on your build, when a key stat in your build would suffer tremendously?

(4) This is another one of those ideas that sounds cool but a little theorycrafting proves it would be a terrible mechanic. It's not a matter of balancing it — what it is trying to do in the first place is fundamentally flawed.

Okey, just answer one-by-one.

1. Generally it's 99% cases standart mod is superior to set. Only because of balancing summary set bonus equal for good 1 unique's "main" standart mod. You just CAN'T sacrifice all your items for single set bonus, because in that case you cannot progress in game further. PoE is way too hardcore for this. So, players would use best items to "have a cool and interesting twist on their builds" rather then just collecting similar set property on crap gear)

2. Set items give a little more reward compared to one good unique but cannot even be compared with two on them in summary. So collecting set crap isn't working for min-maxing. Lets look at my example. Player wants to collect "Vitality set". For example, there is 10 kind of sets in game. So, chance to get unique item with desired property (with any number, not literally the best) is 10%*10%=1% of initial chance to get desired unique. Yes there's trading with other players, but what's the cost of SUCH an item? And chances really too small anyway, so this mechanics wouldn't break anything! Let see another example. Maximum possible reward for perfect rare set in my case is (5(additional HP on one rare item)*10(items slots))*3(multiplier for 4 and more set items) = +150 max health. It's as good as 1-2 good uniques, but it cannot replace all other items stats. And don't get me wrong, it's the best and thus impossible case! Just think of collecting 10 rares with similar "set" property (Vitality in this case) and maximum bonus number! If we think about average possible number it would be (150+30 (minimum possible full set bonus))/2= +90 max health, which is good just as additional life boost. And it takes weeks and months of gaming to collect even non-perfect rare set. Keep in mind that fact items must be YOUR level (being too weak at their base they cannot help you to play the game).

3. and 4. I've just explained my ideas to prove those statements wrong too, at least i think so.

"
I once made a suggestion, way back when, of creating Set Gems. Tat way, if you have two pieces of equipment with a Set Gem, you get some bonuses. 3 gives you more, etc.

First, this just removes any sense about collecting things, and it hardens game balancing, giving players new possibilities and boosting their power without a problem. And of course those "set gems" can be removed and then inserted into another item, right? With a "little theorycrafting" it's clear that such set mechanics can ruin gameplay)
Suggestions I support:

Brand new, without flaws, set mechanic: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/117837
Last edited by narical on Feb 9, 2013, 1:19:17 AM
I've just found another post with similar suggestion, but less concrete.

And one from GGG team was very pleased with this idea! But he's afraid of balancing troubles.

I think that:

1. My variant isn't hard to balance, as far as I can see
2. My variant seems not so hard to implement
3. Big part of PoE community wants set mechanics for a long time! (With another part which wants from set better look and common style, which restricts player to rigid item set with particular consequences - I don't look at them)

Can anyone from GGG team to shed the light up about chances to see something described above, in game?
Suggestions I support:

Brand new, without flaws, set mechanic: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/117837
Hope, developers will pay attention on this thread and make some comments.
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
didnt read the whole wall of text but narico is right,OP's ideeas are BAD. :) no hard feelings mate :D
UP for whatever reason)
Suggestions I support:

They could at least give us 2 or 3 item sets. That would be easy enough to balance and implement.
I wander if somebody from devs reads "suggestions" forum ever :/

Do you mean sets as I described above btw? Or just d2-like sets?
Suggestions I support:

Last edited by narical on Jul 25, 2013, 4:56:31 PM
i like the idea but i think it would increase the gap between "rich" people and normal player

no normal player is ever going to afford a full set with the "right" stats, good loot is already hard to come by as is

Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
It's an interesting idea, but it could probably be simplified.

I think it would be better if the mod just said "Vitality Set" and the game merely counted the level of each set and gave a corresponding bonus. It could have a level like "Vitality Set Level 3" if it's really important to have a rollable stat, but then it would feel more like a cross-item mod instead of the collection of a set since pieces have different magnitudes in terms of "how much" of a set piece they are. It would also be harder to balance the power from tier-to-tier when the bonus is not flat.
Example

Vitality Set (just count number of items in set / set mod has maximum level of 1)

Case 1 (flat progression)
-Tier X: +40*X health

Case 2 (amplifying progression)
-Tier 1: +40 health
-Tier 2: +80 health
-Tier 3: +120 health
-Tier 4: +175 health
-Tier 5: +240 health

Case 3 (tapering progression)
-Tier 1: +40 health
-Tier 2: +80 health
-Tier 4: +150 health
-Tier 5: +175 health

Case 4 (bell curve progression)
-Tier 1: +20 health
-Tier 2: +65 health
-Tier 4: +155 health
-Tier 5: +175 health

As you can see, it's easy to model the progression as it would best fit the game and the scaling of the individual attribute which has the set mod. Related characteristics could be granted more easily with this format. For instance, Vitality Set might give Armor and Evasion on Tiers 4 and 5 instead of more life.

Anyway, this also makes for a good new Orb to manipulate the Set status. Though I don't see why Uniques should be able to roll as a set piece. That seems counter-intuitive not only to their uniqueness, but also to player expectations from how uniques are handled in other games.
Don't seem to be too complicated imo.
And I don't get the idea.
Suggestions I support:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info