About yesterday's AMA

"
Jaerin wrote:

Can I make a version without all those features in it? Yes, I could even do that, but at this point do you want to risk getting the same ban someone using the full hack would get for just disabling the graphic effects?

Please do. I think at this point, it would be interesting to see how popular a GUI/graphics customization script would be versus the straight up cheating variety.

And because GGG needs to see just how badly people want these simple things.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Jaerin wrote:

It became more of a cart of nice to have features all in one place. You're right, hind-sight says that it would have been nice to strip the nefarious features out. See this an excuse, but I don't know that it would have ultimately changed anything.

Can I make a version without all those features in it? Yes, I could even do that, but at this point do you want to risk getting the same ban someone using the full hack would get for just disabling the graphic effects? We have no way of knowing for sure who will or won't get hurt by it. Maybe I will split things out and offer them up for use. Then GGG can decide to publicly speak about what they are okay with using. I mean I would say that auto-flask and auto-quit scripts are in some ways worse than many of the features, but they are seen as semi-legit and okay to use.

This is the annoying part :( We lose access to what could have been a really useful addition to the 3rd party software for the game because it was originally designed as a cheating tool.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
"
b15h09 wrote:
"

Is it fair? Possibly not in some cases. Do GGG have the resources to make judgements in each individual case? No, and that's not what people are supporting them to do.

Is it fair to let GGG off so easily, though? Particle effects and loot filters (or at least the ability to change drop colors) have been requested since at least when the game went OB, maybe sooner? I have a hard time believing they lacked the resources to implement something so basic over the last 2 years. Sure, it's their game, they can do what they want. But their choices have consequences, just as ours do.

I don't have a dog in that fight, I am too n00b to argue it with passion and experience.

But my point stands, regardless of culpability of parties the only group that will actively have to invest significant resources into applying 'fair' judgements are GGG, and simpy put - tying them up in huge number of individual interactions about the use of this tool in a "non-cheating" manner will very quickly scuttle resources that could be better used for achieving the changes you've identified.

My only dog is I fucking absolutely detest currency color, and that alone intrigues me about this tool. I luckily have a Potato Mk 2, so my FPS are fine in a Dom fight.

Still, had GGG been just a little proactive, they could do some clear cut banning, and have little concern about the innocents being caught in the shitstorm.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
b15h09 wrote:

My only dog is I fucking absolutely detest currency color, and that alone intrigues me about this tool. I luckily have a Potato Mk 2, so my FPS are fine in a Dom fight.

Still, had GGG been just a little proactive, they could do some clear cut banning, and have little concern about the innocents being caught in the shitstorm.

In this case then, we're very much on the same page.

As I said above, we've lost the opportunity for a very well designed 3rd party system to fix some of the stuff that bugs the community - primarily because it's original design was to be used as a cheating system.

If Jaerin goes ahead with his feature splitting, and lets GGG view it, maybe there is potential for it to be ignored by whatever anti-cheat system is in place. I imagine that would be a very difficult bridge to build, though, let alone cross.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

"
b15h09 wrote:

Did you know about 2-3 patches ago you could do exactly this with a modification of a simple txt file in the ggpk (the main game archive). Change the RGB value in that file and you could change currency color, colors of all the qualities, and the main display text. You could change the font size this way too. So the question is why isn't it allowed in the game?

Sounds like a design decision must behind it or something to me, but why they don't say that out loud I can't understand.
Self proclaimed noob to the core, but still hardcore
"
Jaerin wrote:
Some would say they shouldn't have to explain their game decisions and we should all just play the game. On the hand though, we live in a world where they could use the constructive feedback of their players to improve the game and make a potentially better experience. So who's right? Some would say that one of the reasons they like PoE more than other games is, that they haven't compromised in their design decisions. That's great, but in my mind they could at least give some definitive responses on whether they are entertaining the possibilities.

That way we can at least look at a previous set of suggestions and not keep asking for the same things we wish would happen over and over.

Simple fact is, few people would still be playing this game were it not for things like poe.trade, Procurement, the wiki, AHK, Looty, etc. I see some of what's in the program as being an extension of that. This game would have been sunk without the community addressing its many flaws.

In a way, it's good that the cheaty shit was in with some real, needed improvements. This kinda of forces their hand. One way or another, they have to make a stand, which they always seem loathe to do. It will be interesting and informative to see how they play this one. Maybe you'll actually get your definitive response.

Anyway, never used the tool, but thanks for your efforts. If this actually bring some long overdue and much needed improvement, I say hack that shit.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Jaerin wrote:
If you don't want to read it then don't.

Thank you for making the sacrifice, otherwise GGG would still be in full on turtle mode ignoring any of these issues.

And I agree with the other people in this thread, we really don't care about the cheats being enabled, but dear christ do we want the QOL changes.
- Lootfilter
- Extra zoom
- able to disable particles
- color coded map

And Charan: they'll probably delete it again, as they always do and try and pretend nothing is going on.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
Last edited by Hyskoa on Jan 15, 2015, 7:03:19 PM
"
If Jaerin goes ahead with his feature splitting, and lets GGG view it, maybe there is potential for it to be ignored by whatever anti-cheat system is in place. I imagine that would be a very difficult bridge to build, though, let alone cross.

The last thing I want to do is intentionally put people at unneeded risk. It is one thing to blatantly come out and say this is a cheat, we do nothing to protect you, you can and will be banned for using it.

It is completely another to try and put out something that MIGHT be okay to use or makes some guarantee to safety because they think they have enough protections to prevent detection.
Self proclaimed noob to the core, but still hardcore
If it's a design decision to not allow players to be able to make modifications that, in some cases, will simply be allowing them to *see* content, then GGG is reaping what they've sown.

They can and perhaps based on past history will out-stubborn the requests, but if they do, it's in the full knowledge that some, perhaps many players may be turned off the game.
"
Jaerin wrote:
"

The last thing I want to do is intentionally put people at unneeded risk. It is one thing to blatantly come out and say this is a cheat, we do nothing to protect you, you can and will be banned for using it.

It is completely another to try and put out something that MIGHT be okay to use or makes some guarantee to safety because they think they have enough protections to prevent detection.

Again, it's topics like these that ensure I do not envy the position GGG are in. Tough questions and tricky situations were never my forte.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info