Mechanics thread

A question about burning damage. A search for "resist burning" turned up all sorts of stuff that wasn't relevant.

I am curious whether resistance affects burning damage directly, or only indirectly. What I mean is this:

Case 1, resistance affects burning only indirectly: 1000 fire damage crit. Target has 40% resist. 600 fire damage actually goes through. Burns for 800 damage over 4 seconds.

In this case the burning damage is only reduced indirectly, because the crit was made smaller by resists.

Case 2, resistance affects burning directly: 600 fire damage goes through. Burn would be 200 damage per sec for 4 sec, but after 40% resist it gets reduced again. Target burns for 480 damage over 4 seconds.

--------------

I'm pretty sure case 1 is right, otherwise resists apply to burning twice. That'd make fire a pretty lackluster element to use in general. Also it'd be a parallel to the way puncture works - DR only reduces the bleed indirectly. And other reasons.

But I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Try searching "burning" AND "resistance". Click the 1st thread. It's 6 months old but afaik it's relevant.

Long story short. Case 2.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Oct 3, 2012, 1:12:11 PM
ew :(

thanks for clarifying syntax on the forum search. I can never find good hits for my searches.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
"
Zakaluka wrote:
ew :(

thanks for clarifying syntax on the forum search. I can never find good hits for my searches.

Try google

site:pathofexile.com [search terms]

like this
I searched but didn't find an answer. Infernal blow has a critical strike chance listed on it. Does this crit strike override the weapon crit chance when attacking. Like if I got a weapon with higher than 7% innate crit, it wouldn't matter?
No, the listed crit chance is for the explosion, which is not weapon damage and thus can't use the weapon's crit chance.
Quick mechanics question:

Are more powerful rolls weighted equally with less powerful ones? For example, would the Healthy prefix (10-19 health) be equally likely to occur as the Athlete's prefix (80-89 health) assuming the item met the pre-requisites of both?

Also, is there a site or thread that lists which affixes and prefixes are possible on which items? For example, I know attack speed is possible on gloves, but not on boots? A comprehensive list of which pieces of equipment all the prefixes/suffixes are possible on would be awesome.
What I saw most recently was that when a rare is created, each affix has a 50% chance to be level restricted to <=50% of ilvl. That means 3/4 of affixes are low power and only 1/4 are high power.

I believe that new mods applied with regal/exalted don't have the same penalty applied.

As to your second question, not that I'm aware of.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 4, 2012, 12:33:40 PM
"
TeeloBrown wrote:
Also, is there a site or thread that lists which affixes and prefixes are possible on which items? A comprehensive list of which pieces of equipment all the prefixes/suffixes are possible on would be awesome.
Final 0.9.4 Patch Notes is goinng to be your best reference.
edit: changed the formula for h to reflect changes to determination

I came across an interesting thing a while back while I was graphing armour and evasion scaling. This one I think could definitely be of use to someone, though it's probably still a bit much for the main thread.

The amount of base armour you need to reach your reduction cap (in any changing situation) can be expressed as a ratio h:

h = A / D

Where A is base armour and D is unmitigated damage.

The interesting thing about this is that h is a constant, despite the reduction formula's odd hyperbolic scaling, and also despite the way endurance affects reduction. h depends on your build, specifically only percent increased armour rating and number of endurance charges.

What this means: if I told you that your build's h value is 8.0, that means "you need 8 base armour per point of unmitigated damage to cap reduction". Then you can easily figure out how much armour you need, from gear and buffs, to cap reduction against any given hit size. For example, against a 1k hit you'd need 8k base armour from gear and buffs.

This is about the only simple proportionality I can come up with to explain how armour/endurance work to new people. But it's still not super easy to understand.

note; all cases below assume a 100% iron skin flask effect, which is just an additional 100% increased armour rating (IAR)

h can have a pretty huge range. Some examples:
--------------------------
at 0 endurance, 0% IAR: h = 54.0. Armour on gear and from buffs is worth very little.
at 4 endurance, 0% IAR: h = 14.0. Those 4 endurance charges quadrupled the value of any worn armour towards the cap.
at 5 endurance and 150% IAR: h = 6.7.

If you can somehow cram in 8 endurance charges and you run determination at high %IAR, h can be as low as 2. This is post-buff determination.

h illustrates a little more clearly how much armour on gear is worth to you, in your build. Same thing for granite flasks, too.

The formula:
h = [ 216 - 12*N ] / [ ( 1 + %IAR ) * ( 1 + %DET ) * ( N + 2 ) ]
N is endurance, %IAR is percent increased armour rating.
%DET is your "more armour" figure from determination. If you don't have determination, just set it to zero.

substitute %IAR as a ratio. For instance, 79% IAR would be 0.79. If you want to account for an extra 100% IAR from an iron skin flask: substitute 1.79 instead.

Hope it is useful to someone, or at least helps a few people understand armour mechanics better.

In terms of character screen armour rather than base armour:
k = [ 216 - 12*N ] / [ N + 2 ]
The formula is simpler, but doing it this way can't show you how much you gain from %IAR. k ranges from 108 at 0 endurance to 12 at 8 endurance.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 15, 2012, 1:30:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info