Mechanics thread

I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong section:

How many characters will the player be able to create, without buying more "character slots"? Only one?
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong section:

How many characters will the player be able to create, without buying more "character slots"? Only one?

I can't remember exactly, but it's a lot, probably more than some people will ever use. From memory it's in the range of 18-24.

edit: found it - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/30905/page/2#p441280

"
Chris wrote:
This reply is only about character slots:

Character slot sales are not what our business is about. I don't want people to be arbitrarily limited in their freedom to play the game (and forced to make new accounts) when they hit some number of characters. I would rather that we make money from things that are aligned with making players happy (more visual customisation options).

The limit of 24 is just because there had to be a limit. In many ways I'd rather it were higher than this.

This game is designed so that you play it for ten years. You'll accumulate a lot of characters. People are already buying character slots. I understand you may not need 24 in a Beta that has two main leagues, but you'll see what I mean in a few months!

With character slots, we're competing with people making new free accounts. It's much better for us if we encourage people to play on one account each. It reduces the problem of external account sales, makes people value their accounts more (so they are less likely to risk bans) and helps us track metrics.
Last edited by Malice on May 30, 2012, 7:09:43 AM
@Malice, thanks!

24 sounds quite a lot (even if you take leagues in account). I thought it would be much lower as major way to get income from players. (my first reason to buy points would be char slots, for example)

GGG are too generous :)

(I hope they thought their business model through, and wont end up with a too low income to sustain the game after release)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
@Malice, thanks!

24 sounds quite a lot (even if you take leagues in account). I thought it would be much lower as major way to get income from players. (my first reason to buy points would be char slots, for example)

GGG are too generous :)

(I hope they thought their business model through, and wont end up with a too low income to sustain the game after release)

I think the devs even said that they'll 'support' multiple accounts, so there are ways to get even more character slots and storage space (IIRC they also said that once the trade interface will be finihsed you could pass items between your characters even when they are on different accounts) - and i agree that they are VERY generous (and very comunicative as well, IMHO one of the best devs ever here ;)), i hope that the playerbase will see it and return their generosity :D
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
This is amazing, thank you for taking the time to do this for us.
Support Indie Game Devs! Even if it's only a little bit. 150 of the little bits goes a long way!
"
Sony_Black wrote:
I think the devs even said that they'll 'support' multiple accounts, so there are ways to get even more character slots and storage space (IIRC they also said that once the trade interface will be finihsed you could pass items between your characters even when they are on different accounts)

Are you sure about that? The last comment on this I saw from Chris mentioned they wanted to be generous with character slots to avoid people running up multiple accounts.

Ah, here it is:

"
Chris wrote:
With character slots, we're competing with people making new free accounts. It's much better for us if we encourage people to play on one account each. It reduces the problem of external account sales, makes people value their accounts more (so they are less likely to risk bans) and helps us track metrics.
Can anyone add formula for item drop (rarity) calculation, probably with examples? There's not enought information about in first post in topic.
Suggestions I support:

Brand new, without flaws, set mechanic: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/117837
"
narical wrote:
Can anyone add formula for item drop (rarity) calculation, probably with examples? There's not enought information about in first post in topic.

What exactly do you want to know?
I think he's asking what the odds of getting rarity on dropped items. I'd love to see the drop rates of white mobs(i.e. base quantity/rarity numbers), the drop rates of blue mobs (i.e. the added quantity and rarity %), the drop rates of yellow mobs (same as with blues). Not sure the devs would give us that info, though.

I imagine Blues are quantity multiplier of at least 1000% over whites, meaning investing in 100% quantity only boosts the drop rate of blues but 10%, from 1000% to 1100%, not doubling it, as the number would make you initially believe. And since the drop rate on whites is so low (I read 12.5% or something recently) 100% increase barely makes a difference there.

Again, would love to know the actual stats.
IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by Milhausen on Jun 1, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
"
There are two modifiers that affect drop rates in the game, increased item rarity, and increased item quantity.
There are three potential sources of these modifiers:
- the player (skills, passives, gear etc.)
- monsters (such as bosses and champions)
- Party bonuses
Modifiers from the player stack additively with each other, and are subject to diminishing returns.
Modifiers from the party bonus and monsters stack additively with each other, and are not subject to diminishing returns.
The total player bonus stacks multiplicatively with the total party & monster bonus.

I mean formula of this part, with calculation examples. It's also good to know white/blue/yellow/boss monsters quantity&rarity multipliers too :D

I don't see the point of hiding these numbers from POE-community,
Suggestions I support:

Brand new, without flaws, set mechanic: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/117837

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info