Mechanics thread

"
faerwin wrote:
"
In general, if a mod can be local, only the local one can spawn on the item type it can be local to - i.e. weapons can get local attack speed mods, but not global ones, whereas other items can only get the global version (because local attack speed on something other than weapon wouldn't make sense).

If a weapon got local crit chance, it can't get global crit chance too (assuming both are a possibility initially)?
No, I mean that if there is a mod with both global and local versions, then the item types which could have the local version can never have the global (except implicit mods, which are separate from restrictions of generating mods).
They aren't both a possibility - weapons can spawn local attack speed mods, but not global. (some) armour can spawn global attack speed mods, but not local.
There are no cases where an item could have either the local or the global version of the same mod spawn on it - the type of item determines which version could occur.

Implicit mods don't spawn on items, they're just a part of them, and thus get around that, which is why daggers can have a global crit chance increase as their implicit mod, despite that mod being impossible to spawn on them as an explicit mod (one of the ones it gets for being magic/rare), due to the global one never spawning on weapons.
then there might be something up with your mod creation tool because 2 days ago, I made a storm bow that had local crit. During my attempts to make a cruel one with alteration orbs, I got global crit countless times.

Unless I'm not understanding :S
@faerwin: something like
Unavailable
?

This should be ok as it is limited to spell and the 2nd one "this weapon" would be any type of weapon.
I did not have one with the "global" (not spell only) crit and a "for this weapon" crit chance on it at the same time i think.
cya Deathtiny
level fast, die young and leave a nice looking corpse!
Tinyshideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3260135
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Hmm.. Are these possible examples of both local and global crit chance/crit multiplier? Or are they ALL local with different wording? Some have 'With this Weapon' while others do not. From what Mark is saying, the Global increases should not be possible on weapons. You can even tell the difference with the Crit Chance mods. The local mod alters the weapon's crit chance and displays in blue while the global mod does not.

Local Crit Chance and Multiplier(with this weapon):
Unavailable
Unavailable

Global Crit Chance and Multiplier:
Unavailable
Unavailable

It seems to me that BOTH local and global crit modifiers are possible but just not at the same time because they use the same exact mod classes(groups or families, whatever you want to call them). As we know, it's impossible to get 2 mods of the same family. I.e. you can't get both 'Bloodthirsty' and 'Cruel' on the same item because even though they represent different tiers they are still of the same family. The same concept applies to the crit mods. Even though one is local and the other is global, they are still considered in the same family because they share the exact same affix names, 'Ire-Ferocity' for either of the crit multipliers and 'Needling-Penetrating' for either of the crit chances.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Feb 5, 2012, 11:52:54 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
My apologies, that always used to be the case, and was intentional, but checking now it has in fact changed for those mods. I'm gonna talk to chris today and ascertain whether this was intentional or something got confused.

But yes, at the moment it is actually possible for both the local and non-local crit mods to spawn on weapons.

I can confirm that local attack speed only spawns on weapons, and global attack speed only spawns on non-weapons.

EDIT: This was not intentional, and global critical strike chance spawning on weapons is a bug which I am now fixing (so it should be fixed in 0.9.6). This will not affect items generated before that patch.

Apologies for all the confusion caused by this - I knew it wasn't like that a couple of months back and wasn't meant to be like that, but it turns out it was like that anyway for a brief period.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 5, 2012, 5:54:45 PM
It's ok, thanks for clarifying all this stuff - we even found a bug as a result.
"
Malice wrote:
It's ok, thanks for clarifying all this stuff - we even found a bug as a result.
No problem, I'm happy to help, and thanks to you guys for questioning this stuff, because we would probably all have assumed that the mods were generating as intended for a long time if this hadn't come up here.
I'll be taking a look at the other local/global mods to see if there are any other weird ones, but haven't found any so far.

For the record, local crit chance and attack speed on weapons are likely to change in a future patch to behave like the local increased damage and defenses mods already do which will a) be more intuitive to players looking at those items, and b) mean that all local mods behave similarly (I think - I'm not aware of any other local mods off the top of my head, but I'll be sure to check when doing this), which makes the system as a whole easier to understand (and for you to describe here). So I'll let you know when/if that actually gets in, but it won't be 0.9.6
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 5, 2012, 11:49:11 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
local crit chance and attack speed on weapons

I'm not aware of any other local mods off the top of my head

Looking at the item data section, there's local mods for accuracy, crit damage multiplier, and integer added elemental damage.
Right, I knew crit damage multiplier (but forgot to mention it), and both accuracy and integer added damage are additions, and thus don't need to change their behaviour to be affecting the 'base value' since all the additions occur before any increases anyway.
The only thing I can think of would be if the sword accuracy auto-mod was local, but it's not is it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info