Mechanics thread

Since with resolute technique you never get crit hits, does that mean you will never set something on fire, freeze it, or shock it?
"
robble wrote:
Since with resolute technique you never get crit hits, does that mean you will never set something on fire, freeze it, or shock it?

You always can burn/freeze/shock but not with critical hits, you need skills/nodes/items with a X% chance to burn/freeze/shock on hit.
Question about how Energy Shield reduces chance to be stunned by 50%.

I probably answered it myself but I just wanted to be sure. I can't really think of another way for it to work so this must be it, right?

Stun_Chance = 200 * Dmg / Defender_Max_Life

Anything 25% or under is ignored and there's no stun.

I am attacked my a monster for 26 Damage, I have 200 Max Life.

200 * 26 / 200 = 26% Chance to stun, it's over 25% so it's not ignored and there's a dice roll with a 26% chance for me to be stunned.

With ES up is this 26% halved to 13%, thus it doesn't stun (being 25% or under)?

This would effectively raise the minimum amount of damage needed to be done in order to stun from 12.6% of the defender's max life to 25.1%, meaning you need to take 1/4 of your life in one hit to be stunned. Sounds pretty nice to me, a perk of the CI builds.
|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

"

Someone mentioned to me that:
Spoiler
arranging 8 gems of the same colour in a box shape and having a Scroll of Town Portal in the middle will give you a Town Teleport gem.

I lol'd so hard.

No, it won't work, and it's because there's no such recipe in the game. You got troll'd.

"
I would like to know how certain things that slow an opponent down interact.

1) Are the slows from temporal chains and the chill effect additive or multiplicative?

2) The path of exile wiki says temporal chains affects the duration of status ailments. How does this interact (multiplicative, additive) with increased chill/shock/freeze duration?

3) Do temporal chains and chill affect stun recovery?

3a) If yes, how do they interact with passives/items that alter enemy stun recovery, or that alter one's own stun recovery?

3b) And, following q1, are the effects on stun additive or multiplicative?

4) If an enemy would be stunned in the same shot that turns it into ice, will the enemy go through stun animation after coming out of ice?

5) If any enemy would be stunned while it is already ice, will the enemy go through a stun animation after coming out of ice?

6) Is the check to see if a status ailment is above 300 ms performed after all relevant modifiers (including temporal chains)?

(1)Yes, they can stack together as I believe.

(2)Temporal slows down the time count down (or buff expiring rate), increased duration passives increase the duration of the status ailments. So if you hit a monster, and cold damage is too little to do chill (less than 300 ms), temporal chain won't help you, but increased chill duration might increase that duration more than 300 ms, thus chilling the monster. And they both work together I believe.

(3)Temporal chain should work on stun as well. Chill has no effect on stun.

(3a-b) Your own stun recovery works only on you, temporal chain cast on enemy monster will not change how long you're stunned. Again, temporal chain slows down the expiring rate, so it will be multiplicative with stun as well.

(4)No, both will count down at the same time.

(5)If the stun last longer than the frozen, then yes, but highly unlikely as stuns are generally shorter (for me that is).

(6)Refer to (2).

Source

Recommend OP update temporal chain mechanism working with status alignment.

"
Glowyrm wrote:
Question about how Energy Shield reduces chance to be stunned by 50%.

I probably answered it myself but I just wanted to be sure. I can't really think of another way for it to work so this must be it, right?

Stun_Chance = 200 * Dmg / Defender_Max_Life

Anything 25% or under is ignored and there's no stun.

I am attacked my a monster for 26 Damage, I have 200 Max Life.

200 * 26 / 200 = 26% Chance to stun, it's over 25% so it's not ignored and there's a dice roll with a 26% chance for me to be stunned.

With ES up is this 26% halved to 13%, thus it doesn't stun (being 25% or under)?

This would effectively raise the minimum amount of damage needed to be done in order to stun from 12.6% of the defender's max life to 25.1%, meaning you need to take 1/4 of your life in one hit to be stunned. Sounds pretty nice to me, a perk of the CI builds.

Not sure about the mechanism part, as I really never looked into that part.

But CI build probably won't benefit from the 50%, as their max life are usually very low, low enough that you're guaranteed to be stunned by big hits all the time. (For those who don't know, CI do have a max life of 1 hp, but when it comes to stun/status effects the life value before converting to CI is used.)
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Last edited by wxyjac on Feb 1, 2013, 12:51:14 AM
ci stun chance is based off original hp. also the stun chance reduction is separate i think. lastly, for the previous person, vulnerability can reduce foe's stun and block recovery, multiplicative duration increase for stun time for foes. would be silly to use both at once but they'll be two separate multipliers as they're doing two separate things.
"
aswan wrote:
Quick mechanics question: How is the chance to freeze, shock and burn calculated (not the duration, the chance it actually happens) and how is it improved my +XX% chance to cause status ailment X?

Quoting myself since nobody answered yet! Help plox! :P
When you Crit, Freeze/Shock/Burn are applied.
With +X% Chance to, non-Crits can also apply Freeze/Shock/Burn.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 1, 2013, 3:44:28 AM
"
Malice wrote:
"
Deen1983 wrote:
From what I've seen, it seems the phys damage on non-weapon items is not working as described in the main post, it is not modified by the passive skill damage bonus. Has this been changed in one of the patches?

Spoiler
---------------
Another example calculation
If you had a sword whose unmodified damage is 10-20, with the following modifiers:

50% increased physical damage on the weapon;
20% quality on the weapon;
5-10 added physical damage on the weapon;
6-9 added physical damage on a ring;
passive skills granting 30% increased sword damage;
a skill that does 40% increased damage and 30% less damage;

the calculation would would look like this:

Base damage: 10-20
Stage 1, on-weapon modifiers: (10-20 + 5-10) x (1 + 0.5 + 0.2) = 25.5-51
Stage 2, all other modifiers: (25.5-51 + 6-9) x (1 + 0.3 + 0.4) x 0.7 = 37-71
---------------

It may well have been changed. That example was correct last time I tested it, although that was quite some time ago.

"
Kissan wrote:
Only Physical Damage (like the one on Redbeack) and Projectile Damage are applied to jewelry physical damage.

How certain are you of this? If this has been tested I'll update the thread.

Just checked again,
without an iron ring my normal attack damage is
195-302
with an iron ring (add 1-4 damage)
196-306
Heavy attack without the ring
355-549
Heavy attack with the ring
357-558

The ring is not modified by passive skill damage bonuses or by strength, only by skill damage. Do the elemental off-weapon damage bonuses get multiplied by passive skills? If yes, the physical damage should definitely be fixed as well.
Immortal King WW Marauder build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348782/page/1
ign: Peresvet
Oops i didn't pay attention to your post Malice. Like Deen, i tested it, with differents configurations and in the character sheet the only time i see damage from rings/amy upgrade is when i have %projectile damage and %physical damage (with nothing else). For DPS the sheet is broken but for damage per hit it seems always true.

I made a mistake in my previous post Redbeak has %increased damage so this is why it's work.

"
Deen1983 wrote:
Do the elemental off-weapon damage bonuses get multiplied by passive skills?

Yes they are by %increased elemental; %incresed cold if cold... and %projectile damage.
Last edited by Kissan on Feb 1, 2013, 8:17:00 AM
"
Kissan wrote:
Oops i didn't pay attention to your post Malice. Like Deen, i tested it, with differents configurations and in the character sheet the only time i see damage from rings/amy upgrade is when i have %projectile damage and %physical damage (with nothing else). For DPS the sheet is broken but for damage per hit it seems always true.

So are you saying the damage numbers in the character screen are incorrect, and the correct numbers are displayed when you hover over the skills?

Or if not, and this was not an intended change, is there a place to report this 'bug' to GGG? Because it would make a whole lot of difference to melee damage output.
Immortal King WW Marauder build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348782/page/1
ign: Peresvet
Last edited by Deen1983 on Feb 1, 2013, 7:59:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info