Mechanics thread

So on the first page it says that the drop rate for currency items is decreased if you are overleveled for the area, as does the experience gained. What about the drop rate for other item types like gems, rare items and uniques?
"
mr48 wrote:
So on the first page it says that the drop rate for currency items is decreased if you are overleveled for the area, as does the experience gained. What about the drop rate for other item types like gems, rare items and uniques?

No, it only affects currency items - orbs, scrolls, whetstones, etc.

Anything on this page: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/currency
"
st0rmie wrote:
"
Malice wrote:
Item level
Each item has a level associated with it that is equal to the monster level of the area it dropped in. The monster level is shown on the map overlay. Rare and unique monsters have +2 to their level, and will yield items with an itemlevel two levels higher than other monsters in the same area.

Blue-named monsters (Champions? not sure what we call them in PoE) appear to drop items with an item level of +1 over the area's monster level, similar to Rare and Unique monsters' +2.

Thanks, that had been overlooked, I've added it in.
"
Deen1983 wrote:
From what I've seen, it seems the phys damage on non-weapon items is not working as described in the main post, it is not modified by the passive skill damage bonus. Has this been changed in one of the patches?

Spoiler
---------------
Another example calculation
If you had a sword whose unmodified damage is 10-20, with the following modifiers:

50% increased physical damage on the weapon;
20% quality on the weapon;
5-10 added physical damage on the weapon;
6-9 added physical damage on a ring;
passive skills granting 30% increased sword damage;
a skill that does 40% increased damage and 30% less damage;

the calculation would would look like this:

Base damage: 10-20
Stage 1, on-weapon modifiers: (10-20 + 5-10) x (1 + 0.5 + 0.2) = 25.5-51
Stage 2, all other modifiers: (25.5-51 + 6-9) x (1 + 0.3 + 0.4) x 0.7 = 37-71
---------------

It may well have been changed. That example was correct last time I tested it, although that was quite some time ago.

"
Kissan wrote:
Only Physical Damage (like the one on Redbeack) and Projectile Damage are applied to jewelry physical damage.

How certain are you of this? If this has been tested I'll update the thread.
"
Malice wrote:
"
mr48 wrote:

No, it only affects currency items - orbs, scrolls, whetstones, etc.

Anything on this page: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/currency

Awesome, so its perfectly viable to farm lower level bosses without any loot penalty? (other than in currency items)
I've got mechanics questions about elemental status ailments.

As I understand it, the 4 elemental status ailments (ignite, shock, freeze and chill) can be applied in 2 ways.

1. If you get a crit while dealing the corresponding elemental damage (be it a spell or attack), the ailment will be applied.

2. You use a spell that gives a "chance to ignite/shock/freeze".

Is that correct?

My questions are in relation to chill and freeze.

First of all, if both are applied on a crit with cold damage, what decides which one of the 2 is actually applied?

And second, AFAIK there is no spell that gives a "chance to chill". Why is that?
Last edited by HealthRex on Jan 31, 2013, 3:54:40 AM
You are correct. Just a bit of additional, related info:
-There's also passives that grant Chance to Status.
-Shock and Freeze require a minimum amount of damage to be dealt to work at all. With 1 point of Cold damage, even Crits are unlikely to actually Freeze. Ignite has a fixed duration.

Chill always applies if sufficient Cold damage is dealt. There's no Chance to Chill because it's a 100% chance anyhow :)
On a related note: How does the passive "Breath of Rime" work?

As I understand it, enemies are chilled after a freeze ailment ends. What determines the length of that after-freeze chilling ailment (ie what damage is used for the calculation)?
Last edited by HealthRex on Jan 31, 2013, 5:57:28 AM
Have a mechanic question about landing crits on burning targets.
I read somewhere on the forum that criting a burning target will consume a burn and deal it's damage immediately. Does this work only for crits from initial burn source of from any member of the party? So if i placed burn and my buddy landed a crit will burn implode? And if it does and mob dies will it be counted as my kill, giving me mana from Soul Siphon for example? Or burn implosion damage will be applied before my buddy's crit damage and this will be his kill?
Another mechanics question:

How does the "+x maximum life/energy shield" stat from items or passives interact with the passives that give "x% increased maximum life/energy shield"?

Is the +x increased by x% or is it added afterwards?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info