WINDESTANZ WAND POWER SIPHON - FLASKS, EVA/BLOCK+SPELL BLOCK *ATZIRI*

LIFE POWER SIPHON RANGER - EVASION, ~MAX BLOCKS *ATZIRI*

Windestanz = Wind Dance

This is a physical wand build using life with evasion, very high blocks, easy shocks, high freeze, and proliferation.

A key piece of this build was buffs to flasks for block and massive boosts to damage.

This build was made in Feb'15.

Updating for Ascension

PRIOR VIDEOS:

Atziri Video:

http://youtu.be/GLY51zl5rdo

Level 78 Palace Map - 2x Dominus Compilation:

http://youtu.be/lAybuz-NOvg

New vid showing double Palace bosses. I try different strategies for this map. First map shows CWDT + Arc+ COH + Temporal Chains and CWDT + Frost Wall. 2nd map uses Arctic Breath instead of Frost Wall and linked to CWS so that I can use a higher level Arctic Breath which gives longer duration for ground ice. The ground ice provides chill which stacks with the slow from Temporal Chains resulting in a massive reduction in enemy speed. The 3rd map I tried something different - I used the ascending stairs by Dominus to avoid all his lightning ghosts which made the fight a lot easier.

Death and Taxes:

http://youtu.be/2c2GVxxdQNk

Olmec's Sanctum:

http://youtu.be/zHD651nngB0

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Spoiler

BACKGROUND:

Spoiler
I am coming from my Lightning Strike build but wanted to try something new. I have always liked the idea of a Ranger Wander and wanted to make a build that had similar defense to my Lightning Strike build (evasion, blind, max blocks, dodge from Vaal Grace) and also retained high offense (high crit, freezing, shocks, etc.).

The major hurdle for me was that without Bringer of Rain it is hard to get max block and max spell block. However using the flask nodes by the witch and the Witch shield nodes that give spell block you are able to get to max block and max spell block using only the Rathpith Globe and Rumi's flask. If you are in new leagues then you will have to use Stone of Lazhwar to get to your max spell block since the Rumi's flasks have lower mods.

Since this is now a pure range build we take much less damage from enemies since we can fight from far away. As a result our block chance against attacks is less important than for melee characters.

Instead of using LMP, I wanted to keep a single 6L that could be used for single target AND AOE. I found having Pierce and elemental proliferation (on Herald of Ash) gave the best AOE without reducing single target too much. If I need more single target (i.e. for Atziri) then I swap Pierce for Additional Accuracy.

Given that I am using Pierce, I decided to use Frost Wall linked to CWDT. This is a good setup for a ranged build as it creates spacing and interrupts enemies that are fast and close to you. I found having 100% pierce is the best if you are using Frost Wall (so you can still hit enemy and leech through your Frost Wall), so I grabbed more pierce nodes on the tree and took out some DPS nodes.

If you decide to use CWDT - Frost Wall, then recommend to use a quality Frost Wall linked to Inc. Duration so you get a longer wall, that lasts for ~3.3seconds.

The other CWDT set-up I am using is Arc - Curse on Hit - Temporal Chains. This is a very potent set-up that slows enemies. Regular mobs will be incredibly slow and the slow against bosses is very good.

The only downside to this build is that I do not use Blind. However if you really want to feel tanky then swapping in Blind for a damage gem works well, or having a separate 4L Power Siphon with blind and GMP would work. You can also use Smoke Mine.

Damage-wise, this build hits extremely hard thanks to Phys to Lightning, wand nodes, and flasks. These all work to add a % of physical damage as elemental damage. See OFFENCE section for more details.

PLEASE NOTE: this is a physical wand build, as a result it is more expensive than an elemental wand build. The 3 most expensive items on this build are: wand, Taste of Hate Flask, Rumi's Flask.

DEFENCE:

- ~40% base evasion
- ~71% block
- ~73% spell block (if I can find a better Rumi I will be at max blocks for both)
- CWDT - COH - Temporal Chains
- CWDT - Frost Wall (only use if you have 100% pierce chance)
- Vaal Grace

OFFENCE:

- Hatred + Taste of Hate + Flask Buff = extremely high cold added as % of physical = FREEZE
- Phys to Light support gem + Witch Wand Nodes = extremely high lightning added as % of physical = SHOCK for 1.5x MORE damage multiplier
- Atziri Flask + Flask buff = very high chaos added as % of physical AND elemental damage
- Easy to use full set up for AOE and single target. If you need more single target you can swap in Additional Accuracy for Pierce like I do in the Atziri video.

Here are some rough numbers I get PER HIT, with only Hatred and Herald of Ash (no Taste of Hate and no Atziri flask) on my regular 6L (PS - WED - FA - PPAD - PhysToLight - Pierce).
- Phys: 860 - 1570
- Light: 3170 - 5800 (this is almost double the amount of light I get on my Lightning Strike build)
- Cold: 1420 - 2590 (with Taste of Hate this goes up to 2580-4700 cold damage per hit)
- Fire: 750 - 1370
- Chaos: with Taste of Hate + Atziri Flask my per hit chaos damage is 1800 - 3260.

You can get higher numbers by unspeccing from Pierce nodes and into more damage nodes, and taking out Pierce Gem for Inc. Crit. Damage gem.

As a result of the high lightning damage, shocking is very easy which is a big boost to our damage. With Eleemental Weakness + Curse on Hit weapon swap this results in another massive boost to damage.

If you use corrupted Stone of Lazhwar for +1 curse then you can add in Assassin's Mark for even higher damage.

PASSIVE TREE:

Current Tree below.

Key Nodes:

Alchemist: key piece of this build that helps us get close to max block and max spell block, as well as increasing the effects of ALL our flasks. This cluster gives 30% increased effect of Flasks, and 12% increased Flask effect duration.

Mind Barrier: helps us get to max spell block by giving a total of 7% additional chance to block spells.

Tempest Blast: key damage node that adds 30% of wand physical damage as lightning (similar to Hatred aura for cold). Combined with Phys to Light gem this gives a total of 59% of your physical damaged ADDED as lightning damage, enabling this build to apply shock easily.

Wand Slinger: this gives a big attack speed boost for wands, as well as a generic 16% increased damage which affects all your damage: phys, light, cold, fire, chaos.

Elder Power: insane physical damage node: 40% increased physical damage with wands. Directly boosting our cold, light, and fire that are based on % of physical.

LINKS:

Chest: Chest: Power Siphon - Phys to Light - WED - Faster Attacks - PPAD - [Pierce / Additional Accuracy / LMP]
Since I like using Frost Walls, I decided to use Pierce + pierce nodes (100% pierce chance) so that I can still shoot through the frost walls. I swap Pierce for Additional Accuracy if I need more single target (i.e. Atziri).
and then ONE of:

Boots: Reduced Mana - Hatred - Herald of Ash - Ele Prolif

Gloves: CWDT - Frost Wall - Inc Duration - Blood Rage

Helm: CWDT - Arc - COH (20/20) - Temporal Chains (20/20). I swap COH to my weapon-swap bow linked to Ele Weakness if I prefer to use Ele Weakness instead of Temporal Chains (i.e. Atziri).

Wand: Light Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration

Shield: Vaal Grace - Faster Casting - Inc. Duration

CWDT SET-UPS:

I am really liking the Arc + COH + Temp Chains set up as anything close gets slowed to a crawl. The Arc is low-level and can chain 3 times so I can slow up to 4 nearby targets.

The Frost Wall setup is to prevent getting rushed by melee enemies, it helps a lot with giving you space but ONLY if you have high pierce chance close to 100% chance to pierce. Otherwise you may not be able to sustain your attacks because they will not pass the frost wall and so you cannot leech.

FLASKS:

Flasks are a HUGE part of this build with the Alchemist node. You are getting a massive buff to Taste of Hate, Atziri, Rumi, Jade etc from the Alchemist nodes.

You also get a massive boost to elemental resistance flasks.

Your flasks also have increased duration.

Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 10, 2016, 2:29:34 PM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2016, 2:11:28 PM
hmm. if i had to guess (tho im not sure what your main attack would be) i'd have to say you're using high evasion with QoTF (movement speed), no acro, and rearguard with rumi's flask in order to do "high survivability". the blind would replace dodge. stone of lazhwar with curse corrupt in order to get lots of spell block too. but thats just a guess.

im interested to see how you develop this and what the details are, especially vs atziri because relying on 3x curse vs her wouldn't be ideal.

keep us posted!
Last edited by xMustard on Dec 27, 2014, 9:37:22 PM
One thing I liked about my LS build was the flexibility to play range, I am trying to do the opposite with this build which is to take a bow character and make it able to play in melee range with the bow.

I am using 2 Puncture set-ups - AOE and single-target Puncture. I am still trying to decide what skill to use but I am really liking the gameplay so far. I might actually unspec from the Point Blank key node and use the Point Blank support gem on my single target Puncture.

Why Puncture?

- Not sure if I will keep this skill but I works great with the Point Blank multiplier to get some nice bleeds

- The main thing I like about Puncture is that it allows me to drop Hatred and run a different aura

Offense:

- Trash mobs - clear with AOE Puncture - build survivability is good, I get up close and blast and move on the next pack
- Take advantage of Point Blank 1.5x multiplier on projectile damage to get high initial hit for single target
- Use tri-curse of Assassin's Mark + Vulnerability + Temporal Chains.

Assassins' Mark - for crit damage on the hit
Vulnerability - for DOT damage
Temporal Chains - increases duration of the buff, and very defensive for me because I am stacking movement speed - so it is great way to amplify my speed relative to enemies

- Since this is Puncture based I do not need Hatred. I use Grace + Haste. I sit at 50% base evasion which will go to 65%+ with a Jade flask

- Another thing to notice is that Taste of Hate flask gives you the opportunity to not run Hatred - you just take a sip when you need to quickly clear some tough mobs.

- This build is not meant for this who want to stay back at range, you will need to get up close to get HUGE hits from Point Blank which I think makes the build more exciting to play.

This is incredibly useful because one cool thing you can do with Point Blank is regulate your own damage against reflect by shooting from further away.

There is also no risk of off-screen one-shotting yourself on reflect mobs that you can't see.

Defense

- I use just evasion + dodge. I also use Vaal Grace if I am in very hard situations

- This is where Blind comes in. I am experimenting with this quiver right now:

This is very nice quiver so that when mobs swarm me I get smoke clouds. If they are Blinded they will take even more damage from my Puncture thanks to the quiver's last mod. So this works extremely well with being in melee range with Point Blank.

Now I am not sure if the % increased damage against Blinded enemies double buffs Puncture (both the initial hit and the DOT) but it is very nice and enables me to fight up close.

- I can easily avoid spells with my high movement speed and temporal chains is the perfect counter to spells as well

- Alternatively I am also using Blind linked to my weapon swap tri-curse so that I can Blind enemies from afar and apply the curses if I need.

- My movement speed and Temporal Chains help a lot with my survivability as well

Gameplay

- So far I am really loving this gameplay style and survivability is great. An example of how it works very well against Evangelists is I just run inside their bubbles and hit them at point blank, then run out and curse from afar and move on to the next mobs. Same deal with bosses.

- I need to find a good 6L chest so right now I am using Bringer of Rain for my AOE Puncture. Once I get a good 6L this will free up an extra set of sockets that I can use for maybe Frost Wall - CWDT or Smoke Mine or one of the new bow movement skills

So far this is my passive tree. I have taken a lot of damage over time and bleed nodes. I would like for my accuracy to be higher and I also need to figure out my resistances:

Last edited by Ceryneian on Dec 27, 2014, 11:25:26 PM
cool. ya just keep in mind you need to be purely physical dmg. hatred, that flask, added fire dmg and WED mean absolutely nothing to puncture anymore, which is kind of a weird change.

but ya, sounds pretty cool. will be keep an eye
Quick update on this build. It does very well for regular mapping but I have difficult time with hard mods on 78 maps. This may be more to do with how well I play the build using a "hit up-close and run" style. Seems like the increased damage and blind synergies you get from this build are not enough to outweigh being able to do your 100% DPS from far away like a regular build.

Regular mobs are not a problem and fast moving bosses are OK. I have difficulty with 2nd form Dominus, and also the spark lady on Courtyard because I have very little spell avoidance.
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Quick update on this build. It does very well for regular mapping but I have difficult time with hard mods on 78 maps. This may be more to do with how well I play the build using a "hit up-close and run" style. Seems like the increased damage and blind synergies you get from this build are not enough to outweigh being able to do your 100% DPS from far away like a regular build.

Regular mobs are not a problem and fast moving bosses are OK. I have difficulty with 2nd form Dominus, and also the spark lady on Courtyard because I have very little spell avoidance.

Hiya... glad you're enjoying the quiver I designed. It is interesting to see how players are using it. It was never inteneded to be BiS for high end content, but I have used it reasonably well up to mid 70 maps. The following contains some more details about the quiver: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1138596
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
"
Kaysee wrote:
"
Ceryneian wrote:

Hiya... glad you're enjoying the quiver I designed. It is interesting to see how players are using it. It was never inteneded to be BiS for high end content, but I have used it reasonably well up to mid 70 maps. The following contains some more details about the quiver: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1138596

Hi thanks for posting your writeup, the quiver worked great but unfortunately the concept for me as Point Blank didn't work out so well. I could have switched to be regular bow build but I felt there were already too many builds like this.

Appreciate you making the quiver it really is a very good unique.

Right now I am working on dual wield wand ranger.
Hi !
I know you are now working on your dual wander, but I'm actually thinking of trying out the Point Blank bow build, with a slightly different tree from yours, with more evasion and life.
Now I'm wondering whether I want to go for Frenzy or for Puncture. However, the more important question remains : what was your AoE setup for Puncture and how good was it at clearing groups of mobs ?
My biggest fear is that without Tornado Shot, the AoE clear will be pretty bad, even though the single target damage will be gigantic. And I don't think I could play with a bad AoE clear, I'm too used to clearing fast right now :/

Also, I'm really looking forward what you come up with for dual wield wanding, you always have original ideas so it makes it really interesting to follow your build posts ! :)

Thanks in advance for your answer !
"
Vadler wrote:
Hi !
I know you are now working on your dual wander, but I'm actually thinking of trying out the Point Blank bow build, with a slightly different tree from yours, with more evasion and life.
Now I'm wondering whether I want to go for Frenzy or for Puncture. However, the more important question remains : what was your AoE setup for Puncture and how good was it at clearing groups of mobs ?
My biggest fear is that without Tornado Shot, the AoE clear will be pretty bad, even though the single target damage will be gigantic. And I don't think I could play with a bad AoE clear, I'm too used to clearing fast right now :/

Also, I'm really looking forward what you come up with for dual wield wanding, you always have original ideas so it makes it really interesting to follow your build posts ! :)

Thanks in advance for your answer !

Hi, sorry for late reply. My AOE was Puncture + LMP + Inc. Crit Damage + Faster Attacks (optional) + Inc. Crit Chance + Added Fire Damage. Then I would weapon swap to use Split Arrow + COH + Vulnerability + Assassin's Mark.

It was pretty good at clearing mobs, however I was using a very high damage bow. I feel that Puncture was just nerfed way too much that even with the bleed nodes and Point Blank it took a bit too long for my liking to kill mobs UNLESS you could reliably crit (i.e. 75%+ crit chance).

Tornado Shot would give much better AOE clear. However that was why I decided to stop the build - if I can't use Point Blank effectively to get better DPS than someone using regular Tornado + Puncture single target, then their really is no point in doing this type of build.

If you like the DOT aspect - I recommend you check out xMustard's Burning Arrow build and maybe you could use Burning Arrow + Point Blank node instead of the Puncture set up.

Thanks! I have seen a few dual wand builds before but nothing since 1.2 began, hopefully I can make this into a strong, fun, unique build!
Actually, I think I'm going to go for Frenzy and Split Arrow + Chain on my Point Blank build, with massive MS (Queen of the Forest, Rat's Nest, Atziri's Step + MS from the tree) to play the card of running up to ennemies and destroying them instantly with the damage of Point Blank and dodging their attacks.
The extra %evasion from Frenzy synergizes with Queen of the Forest very well, Chin Sol and Point Blank bring tremendous damage to the build and taking some aura nodes to run Grace + Hatred + Herald of Ash ensure elemental damage (with some AoE) and survivability.
The final tree, if anyone's interested :

Featuring 31% Movement Speed, around 230% evasion and 165% life, which should be more than enough to keep me alive while destroying everything that comes near me :)

I will try that quite soon, but right now I'm having a blast with my tanky Marauder. I'll keep you posted to see what happens. And I'll follow this thread to see what happens with that dual wander as well ;)
Last edited by Vadler on Jan 17, 2015, 12:57:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info