Is it me, or is racing unbalanced?

"
tagpt wrote:
In order for a game to be entertaining, you need an extremely high level of execution so the audience is in awe when amazing things are achieved (starcraft) or high levels of RNG so the audience laughs (hearthstone).

Interesting. I never thought of it like that. Nice point.
I think POE racing takes skill, but the skill gap is not nearly as large between new racers and elite racers as in others games. In games like Starcraft 2, Quake or League of Legends the skill gap is huge, not only between new players and elite players, but also that the top players in those games are miles ahead of everyone even just one tier below and no amount of practicing will help a player one tier below a to catch the very top elite players. In starcraft 2 or League of legends, a new player could practice a few hours every single day for a year to improve and get better and still on end up as a gold player, just middle of the road, they just don't have the necessary skill and end up hitting their skill ceiling and practice only helps so much until a threshold. Whereas in POE racing, a new player that put in the same effort to practice a few hours a day at racing, timing their splits, and trying to beat personal bests and analyze mistakes, could very well get into the top of POE racers, and even win certain races from time to time against established racers that have been racing multiple years at the top level. In SC2 or LOL it would be so incredibly rare for a player with only one year of total experience in the game to end up at the end of the year at the elite level of competition and being able to take games off the top pros who've been at the top for multiple years.

In very high skill gap games, many players end up peaking at where their mechanics and skills take them, and for the majority of players it is nowhere near the top, no matter how much they practice. In a low skill gap game like POE racing, the skills and mechanics required to be the best are much lower and accessible for the majority of players given enough practice and time.

"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Jan 4, 2015, 7:34:31 PM
Spoiler
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
I think POE racing takes skill, but the skill gap is not nearly as large between new racers and elite racers as in others games. In games like Starcraft 2, Quake or League of Legends the skill gap is huge, not only between new players and elite players, but also that the top players in those games are miles ahead of everyone even just one tier below and no amount of practicing will help a player one tier below a to catch the very top elite players. In starcraft 2 or League of legends, a new player could practice a few hours every single day for a year to improve and get better and still on end up as a gold player, just middle of the road, they just don't have the necessary skill and end up hitting their skill ceiling and practice only helps so much until a threshold. Whereas in POE racing, a new player that put in the same effort to practice a few hours a day at racing, timing their splits, and trying to beat personal bests and analyze mistakes, could very well get into the top of POE racers, and even win certain races from time to time against established racers that have been racing multiple years at the top level. In SC2 or LOL it would be so incredibly rare for a player with only one year of total experience in the game to end up at the end of the year at the elite level of competition and being able to take games off the top pros who've been at the top for multiple years.

In very high skill gap games, many players end up peaking at where their mechanics and skills take them, and for the majority of players it is nowhere near the top, no matter how much they practice. In a low skill gap game like POE racing, the skills and mechanics required to be the best are much lower and accessible for the majority of players given enough practice and time.

You're putting an RTS where build order losses and cheese occur on a regular basis and LoL (not even starting on that) in a league with Quake and think PoE has a low skill ceiling? Okay.
Besides, the first race season started in february 2013.
Who knows what we will be capable of in like a year, records are constantly getting broken.

E: not bitching about sc2, my point is, if a worse player really wants to beat a better player there are cheap and dirty tricks to do so that have a relatively high chance to work compared to other RTS games i've played
Last edited by FrAgGy on Jan 5, 2015, 11:09:09 PM
"
FrAgGy wrote:

E: not bitching about sc2, my point is, if a worse player really wants to beat a better player there are cheap and dirty tricks to do so that have a relatively high chance to work compared to other RTS games i've played

Don't you badmouth my cannon rush strats. Them strats took skills.
throzz confirmed bronzie
GriefingGinger i didn't invite you fraggy, fl3ss did. remember that
"
FrAgGy wrote:
Spoiler
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:

You're putting an RTS where build order losses and cheese occur on a regular basis and LoL (not even starting on that) in a league with Quake and think PoE has a low skill ceiling? Okay.
Besides, the first race season started in february 2013.
Who knows what we will be capable of in like a year, records are constantly getting broken.

Not really. All good players scout, so if you lose to cannon-rushes or other cheap stuff like that then I can confidently say you are low-ranked.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Jan 6, 2015, 5:12:34 PM
"
SlixSC wrote:
All good players scout

I'll just return to lurking, got better things to do than getting Slix'ed
The only imbalance is that people are using maphack without repercussions.
"
The only imbalance is that people are using maphack without repercussions.

This.
IGN: KoTao

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info