Is it me, or is racing unbalanced?

"
Pam wrote:
"
HeaT1 wrote:

How then do you explain you placing the best in your class every race that you participate in in which you do not die? what do you attribute that success to?

-HeaT

8th templar in tendrils champions and 4th shadow in bruthud kill is not top
only the first place matters, and sometimes 2nd if it's really close but otherwise it's mostly a matter of "you're the only one taking it seriously"

A more lengthy text I wrote a while ago but never posted since it's bad, but more in depth about how I feel
Spoiler
"no carto, no untainted paradise, pure skill"

A quote from Zenocide genius in his most recent podcast

When I talk to players or read forums and the word skill appears in the conversation, it's always with reticence that I keep on talking, I usually stop and it's hard for me to express how I feel about this whole thing. The most recent was with a friend who told me that the most skilled player in the game was the one in standard with the biggest amount of exalts in stash tabs. I started talking about pvp as a counterpoint and how you can categorize certains aspect of the game where one player is shining but right as the words left my mouth there was no heart behind it because of the disbelief I was in.

It was a concept I never thought of and it was at this point that I realized of much of a schism there is between MMO players and ... normal ones ?

Before PoE, I played a bit of Rift for relief, because my previous game was starcraft II. While I started SC2 badly by spending all of my time in random 2v2 playing random, I finally started playing 1v1 (still random) after 6 months and this is where I discovered that I wasn't good. Here's a picture http://i.imgur.com/yrVO31y.png which represents how I feel about the ranking in that game and how being good (high master KR) is far from enough.

Young it was easy to be "the best" at home or in the neighborhood, in mmorpgs or arpg the only requirement for being "top guild EU-NA" is not being retarded and play the fotm, but starcraft 2 while being known for being accessible mechanically was the first game where It required actual effort to win. How relevant was it to be 1 of 100 000 when you have to play (at first I wanted to use compete but being slaughtered would be closer to the truth) against koreans and be the first amongst millions where the mentality to push for competition is present. More recently, I watched the smash brothers documentary and caught on the competitive scene, and it's only strenghtened my point of view. Skill is a word used to represent a wall of effort, talent, power of will and mental discipline that you can't evaluate the height until you're good enough to reach the clouds of competition, but it's still going up. And have that word thrown away for leveling the fastest in a game where you optimize your right click just does't feel right.

Path of exile is not a game where players push its limits, "competition" in leagues relies on luck and playing safe aka avoiding any hard content and you play it for fun. There's nothing wrong with that but don't bring skill into the discussion, the only part of the game which could be qualified as somewhat competitive mostly relies on knowledge identifying layouts and even then it's plagued by cheating just like the regular game.

I think poe players are in the bottom 90% of any other competitiv game aka pure garbage, and half of that 10% remaining is usually a one trick pony retard anyway
tl:dr, racing competition is just an illusion exile

It's definitely quite different from the outside looking in as opposed to the inside looking out, a few parts at least. Thanks for sharing. No season may be perfect and not all changes will probably be positive across all racers but S10 did show some improvement from s9 at least from the schedule. There are still many ways to improve the competitive scene. Some factors I feel will never be right, random shrines and boxes.... Vendor bs etc..

PS... Sorry about warehouses. :(
Last edited by terrex on Dec 26, 2014, 12:07:01 AM
"
Pam wrote:
it's mostly a matter of "you're the only one taking it seriously"

Probably for the best, considering how much rng exists in every single race mode. If this game had a strong player base, race results would look completely random as the 100 or so "top" players of each class took turns at 1st each event based on whoever got wanderlust from hillock etc.

For that matter, this still occurs now even with there being only 2-3 players on average in any given race that are really trying to win- the only time we see the same player consistently take 1st across a full season when theres actual competition is when that player is cheating.

"
Pam wrote:
I think poe players are in the bottom 90% of any other competitiv game aka pure garbage, and half of that 10% remaining is usually a one trick pony retard anyway
tl:dr, racing competition is just an illusion exile

The same can be said for the players of any arpg or mmo. Genres designed to reward grinding and trading over thinking and executing (assuming theres much thinking or executing to do in the first place) generally arent going to attract or create serious competitive players.
IGN: KoTao
so the reason i'm not doing well is because i'm not taking it seriously enough

thanks pam
"
mallow wrote:
so the reason i'm not doing well is because i'm not taking it seriously enough

thanks pam

Well, in a way, yes. The "skill" to reach the top in poe is really low compared to most games. But it's not like poe was suppose to be some kind of a e-sport in the first place.
[quote="Hilbert"]
CT should be around the art of PKing and not griefing lower levels.
[/quote]
http://www.twitch.tv/zoroxo123
people who are already good rarely have a grounded perspective. i bet you arent even aware of many of the things you do better than 95% of the players racing. if it so happens you and other top racers think it was easy to get good in comparison to other games you play then good for you i guess

doesn't mean there's no element of skill just because you think it's easy nor does it mean there arent people out there still trying to get gud but falling short, e.g. me :p
Last edited by mallow on Dec 26, 2014, 11:18:46 AM
"
mallow wrote:
... doesn't mean there's no element of skill just because you think it's easy nor does it mean there arent people out there still trying to get gud but falling short, e.g. me :p

I'm with you here, Mallow. Perhaps other games require even more skill, I wouldn't know. However, Path of Exile requires SOME kind of skill, or something a lot like it, anyway. If it was just RNG, I wouldn't finish so far down so consistently.

ZoRoXo, you don't know how seriously I take it...you may be underestimating how unbelievably unskilled I am :-)

That said, I'll have to trust those of you who say other games require a higher skill level. I'm truly in no position to judge.

In summary, never underestimate the awe-inspiring depths of my incompetence :-)
"
mallow wrote:
i bet you arent even aware of many of the things you do better than 95% of the players racing.

I'm aware of all the wrong decisions I take multiple times per zones which makes me lose dozens of seconds
I'm not playing with a timer 99,99% of the time, but the few times I tried it it was depressing to see how much I can lose on dumb mistakes, but worse is how little it matters compared to rng
"
That said, I'll have to trust those of you who say other games require a higher skill level. I'm truly in no position to judge.

Yeah I can argue with that
An analogy I used before: If there was a ladder to scale the skill required between games to perform well in it, poe would be a few feet underneath the ground
you're making yourself depressed from dumb mistakes that cost you dozens of seconds

meanwhile worse racers, or whatever you want to call them if you dont believe in poe skill, can lose a dozen minutes compared to you just from things like worse inventory management, worse pack selection (i.e. what to skip, what to kill), worse pathfinding, worse strats, i'm sure the list could go on. this was in fact the point i was trying to make with the statement you quoted, pretty much....

not quite sure what you were intending to convince me of with that post but you haven't succeeded as of yet.
"
mallow wrote:
... can lose a dozen minutes ... just from things like worse inventory management ...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses time on this stuff.
i'm not necessarily talking about myself, just giving general examples :P

but yeah, i'm quite sure pam is better than me at those things

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info