Lord of the Dead. (Witch Summoner Build) Updated 2.0 patch

"
pitiful DPS is always better than contributing 0, which is what the OP suggested doing.

Your suggesting using arc + whatever else would be better than running Elemental Weakness(enemy's lose 44% to all elements resists) and Flammability(enemy's lose 45% to fire resistance) that's -89% fire resists gone permanently, with a cast time of .5 sec in a giant aoe? Your giving spectres almost true damage to any mob.

Not to mention their are a ton of other curses you can use in combination with each other. Something like enfeeble to reduce their damage to you. I think you greatly unappreciated the power of curses. How in any way is this "contributing 0".
Last edited by blacksheepnz on Feb 12, 2013, 2:36:24 PM
Our minions kill normal, magic, and rare mobs nearly instantly once they engage them. Arc would do pretty much nothing there. Against map bosses, which typically take me ~10 seconds to kill, having a 40% damage buff that lasts about one second that will only be up on the boss once or twice before it dies is such a minimal overall dps improvement that it's not worth it at all. I'd much rather have more life or resists.

Maybe you play your summoner differently NastyPants, but adding a few Shock passives and spamming Arc would not improve my map clears by any noticeable amount.
"
blacksheepnz wrote:
"
pitiful DPS is always better than contributing 0, which is what the OP suggested doing.

Your suggesting using arc + whatever else would be better than running Elemental Weakness(enemy's lose 44% to all elements resists) and Flammability(enemy's lose 45% to fire resistance) that's -89% fire resists gone permanently, with a cast time of .5 sec in a giant aoe? Your giving spectres almost true damage to any mob.

Not to mention their are a ton of other curses you can use in combination with each other. Something like enfeeble to reduce their damage to you. I think you greatly unappreciated the power of curses. How in any way is this "contributing 0".

Arc isn't a curse its a damaging spell, you would keep the curses and add DPS to them... not sure what you thought arc was.... you are maybe confusing it with conductivity?

No reason you can't add arc to curses....

"
Our minions kill normal, magic, and rare mobs nearly instantly once they engage them. Arc would do pretty much nothing there. Against map bosses, which typically take me ~10 seconds to kill, having a 40% damage buff that lasts about one second that will only be up on the boss once or twice before it dies is such a minimal overall dps improvement that it's not worth it at all. I'd much rather have more life or resists.

Sorry but this is utter BS. Sure if you run white maps with no stats you can do this, but what happens when you get enemies with a 60% HP bonus?

Unless you are in a party full of summoners, you aren't killing anything instantly. If you are in a party, it doesn't need summoners to kill things instantly anyways....
Last edited by NastyPants on Feb 12, 2013, 2:47:41 PM
"
blacksheepnz wrote:
"
Snowhammer wrote:
I think you are wasting alot of skill points getting a second totem - just use a quality faster cast with one totem to the same effect (getting skellys out faster).

That frees up a ton of skill points for more health and you can apply shock charges or somthing else with your own spells.

The reason i ran 2 spell totems is because of how i play the necro i try to get as many skeletons up as possible and to get them killed just as fast(If you read over Killing boss by suicide part).

Yeah i thought about that but Fast casting, but it uses a skill slot i just cant afford to have. Minion Damage and Minion Life are really strong, even though they don't show dps(i hope they will show you their actually value later).
The chest is the only slot the goes higher than 4 slots, and its reserved for my raise spectres.

Im only missing 4 of the health nodes, So what would you do with the spare 11 points? and why?

Very late response to this - sorry!
I think in fairness to you and your build (Its great btw) my earlier comment came from the point of view that maxing the number of minions you have and not doing damage your self, is not the right way to go.

I prefer boots, for example, that have alots of stats on them (Health, Mana, Quanitity or Quality, and of course 20+ Speed) But thats because I'm not depending 100% on spectres, so 2 are plenty for me.

Having 4 Spectres would be great = espeically if your going all out 5-6L Spectres.

Any way - its not fair of me to say your wasting points getting two totems. If part of what you want to do with your build is absolutely nothing except watch your minions do the work (which is and can be fun) then this is a great option. I might use the second totem for Healing or Ice Spear though. Just cause I would think you would be overidding your skellies REALLY fast with that.
"There is friend who sticks closer than a brother"
-Samwise

IGN: Snowhammer
"
Snowhammer wrote:
"
blacksheepnz wrote:
"
Snowhammer wrote:
I think you are wasting alot of skill points getting a second totem - just use a quality faster cast with one totem to the same effect (getting skellys out faster).

That frees up a ton of skill points for more health and you can apply shock charges or somthing else with your own spells.

The reason i ran 2 spell totems is because of how i play the necro i try to get as many skeletons up as possible and to get them killed just as fast(If you read over Killing boss by suicide part).

Yeah i thought about that but Fast casting, but it uses a skill slot i just cant afford to have. Minion Damage and Minion Life are really strong, even though they don't show dps(i hope they will show you their actually value later).
The chest is the only slot the goes higher than 4 slots, and its reserved for my raise spectres.

Im only missing 4 of the health nodes, So what would you do with the spare 11 points? and why?

Very late response to this - sorry!
I think in fairness to you and your build (Its great btw) my earlier comment came from the point of view that maxing the number of minions you have and not doing damage your self, is not the right way to go.

I prefer boots, for example, that have alots of stats on them (Health, Mana, Quanitity or Quality, and of course 20+ Speed) But thats because I'm not depending 100% on spectres, so 2 are plenty for me.

Having 4 Spectres would be great = espeically if your going all out 5-6L Spectres.

Any way - its not fair of me to say your wasting points getting two totems. If part of what you want to do with your build is absolutely nothing except watch your minions do the work (which is and can be fun) then this is a great option. I might use the second totem for Healing or Ice Spear though. Just cause I would think you would be overidding your skellies REALLY fast with that.

Skill tree has be fixed, should take a look at the final Skill Tree hopefully :)
"
Sorry but this is utter BS. Sure if you run white maps with no stats you can do this, but what happens when you get enemies with a 60% HP bonus?

Unless you are in a party full of summoners, you aren't killing anything instantly. If you are in a party, it doesn't need summoners to kill things instantly anyways....

I don't think you understand how much damage spectres can do in the endgame. Check out the Spectre section if you haven't already.
Last edited by blacksheepnz on Feb 12, 2013, 2:56:19 PM
"
blacksheepnz wrote:
"

I don't think you understand how much damage spectres can do in the endgame. Check out the Spectre section if you haven't already.

I'm at endgame and I have 4L-ed spectres, I know they do great DPS but they are far from viable in all maps. Get a roll of fire traps across the map? Your spectres will die and you'll be left with whatever the map gives you. Get a reflect spell damage map? The solaris drapes kill themselves.

Spectres are great but they can't handle every map, whereas the summoner itself is versatile enough to adapt to more situations and can solo even the most difficult maps without relying solely on spectres.

Besides, not everything dies in 1 hit. You will get maps where things will not die in 1 hit, and when you do what is wrong with spamming arc for added DPS? Nothing at all... it buffs your minions DPS, and you are doing something other than standing there doing nothing.
Last edited by NastyPants on Feb 12, 2013, 3:02:58 PM
@NastyPants

we are not arguing that arc and shock stacking isn't viable. It is and its another build/playstyle. Am not trying to disprove the viability of your build. In fact its great.

Am talking about pure summoner (no spells none of that nonsense) With the our unique item setup does not allow for reliable shock stacking.

Also the spectres in maps are even better then the ones u find outside of maps anyways all they cost is mana when a spectre dies just revive one, easy.

I rather have more auras on my character then an equipment + slots solely used for arc(b/c it needs to be supported by faster casting + chain)

I don't know who said mobs dies in 1 hit. They don't, THEY DIE IN 2 HITS HAHA =P.

P.s. please get a 5-6 link seectre it makes a world of difference.

@the guy who said no spell totems

It might be your playstyle but i rather not bother with summoning skeles. My hands and focus is on dual cursing, laying conversion traps, and dodging projectiles. And most of all just staring at the ground and waiting for loot to pop up ( cuz u know u can do that if your not preoccupied).
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon
Last edited by mattc3303 on Feb 12, 2013, 3:12:29 PM
"
blacksheepnz wrote:
Skill tree has be fixed, should take a look at the final Skill Tree hopefully :)

Ahh - didn't look! Everything about it looks much nicer :)

I think Im going to make a second summoner :)
"There is friend who sticks closer than a brother"
-Samwise

IGN: Snowhammer
"
mattc3303 wrote:
Am talking about pure summoner (no spells none of that nonsense) With the our unique item setup does not allow for reliable shock stacking.

I am this exact build more or less, there is nothing preventing me from spamming arc to apply shock. It doesn't stack often (and again it really isn't necessary to do so), but I have enough mana regeneration that it is a no brainer. The alternative is literally doing nothing at all. I mean, its great if you want to roleplay a "pure" summoner, but there isn't any gameplay reason to not be spamming arc if you have enough mana regenration to handle it (which is insanely easy to come by).

"
Also the spectres in maps are even better then the ones u find outside of maps anyways all they cost is mana when a spectre dies just revive one, easy.

The problem is you may not always have the "ideal" spectres. If you roll a map with nothing but skeles and its littered with fire traps, your useful spectres will die and you'll be stuck with the skeles which will limit your DPS potential to "1 hit" everything. It happens, a lot, and fire traps are a fairly common roll on magic+ map rarities.

"
I rather have more auras on my character then an equipment + slots solely used for arc(b/c it needs to be supported by faster casting + chain)

Now there you may have a point, but I haven't this issue. I have enough space for arc, spectres, skele totem, zombies, purity, discipline, wrath, and clarity. And my gear isn't particularly ideal (no 5L+). We aren't as starved for links so it isn't a BFD, but if you particularly build around auras I can see why you would want the extra space. But that really wasn't part of the issue earlier.

"
I don't know who said mobs dies in 1 hit. They don't, THEY DIE IN 2 HITS HAHA =P.

P.s. please get a 5-6 link seectre it makes a world of difference.

I always get crap for rolls on 6s ~_~
Last edited by NastyPants on Feb 12, 2013, 3:21:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info