I just bought an airbrush for my boyfriend for the Holiday's...UPDATE!

"
Brings back some great memories of painting the old lead TSR D&D figurines as a youngster. Time well spent. We used fine brushes and model paint back then if I remember correctly. Wonder if one of my brothers hung on to that stuff? Hmmm

The "official" TSR D&D minis? Ghod, those remind me of Diablo 3. Such anticipation, such disappointing crap! TSR had no business making miniatures; that kine actually diminished their reputation as a gaming company, for a while.

Started with Testor's enamels before I learned better and switched to water-based acrylics. So many tricks you can use to get impressive effects. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
That's all there was available back then! And stupid expensive as well. Had to mow many yards in order to afford the leads & paint!

Think they had a bit of a monopoly on the D&D miniature scene back then. Bastages!

You're right about the quality too. It was really inconsistent. I remember some being quite nice, then some looking like they were designed and manufactured by act 2 forest monkeys :D
I'm guessing you didn't have access to dedicated gaming stores, back then. There were manufacturers making really exquisitely detailed figures long before TSR decided to cash in, poorly. Grenadier, Minifigs (well, not exquisite, that one, but better than TSR), Ral Partha, Citadel, and others, all produced NON-official minis (Citadel, and later, Ral Partha got the license after the TSR line folded).

Oh, and, yeah, the TSR minis were horribly overpriced, as if the "Official" label warranted it.

Here's a page with pics of vintage lead:

http://www.dndlead.com

Enjoy! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Great link there, Ray. Thanks for that :)

Its pretty likely that we had a mix of model manufacturers after looking at that site. Probably explains the major quality differences I recall.

We had a pretty cool hobby store at the time, but they probably hosed us kids pretty hard. Lol
Nice job Ray, you operated on a similar level to mine. Too bad there was no digital photography widely available before I sold mine.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
I remember saving up my allowance to buy a RP Balrog fig. I was so excited to finally get it only to discover I suck at painting.
I recently gave my five year old son a whole bunch of my old d&d lead figures, unpainted. We spent ages telling made up stories about them. It was lovely, even if he did get a bit scared at times.

P.
It's really cool to look at what he has (and you too, Ray). He spent a few years in England where Warhammer is incredibly prevalent so he got to learn a lot and BUY a lot as it is soo much cheaper to buy from there than in Canada (Games Workshop is soooo expensive) BUT we found a company in BC that ships within the country so that helps with the nerding costs.

I also sorta messed up
Spoiler
- he needs an air compressor :p

I informed the parents and they are getting that part.
POE is life. POE is ♥.
I bought a bunch of the TSR and Ral Partha ones in my youth. Mainly the Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Ravenloft setting based boxed sets.

later on a bought a few of the Shadowrun leads they were pretty cool

I always loved that Lord Soth was a Ravenloft/DragonLance crossover

Spoiler
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
We need a lead series of PoE miniatures! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info