The new Duelist starting area - OP for LLD?

Hey guys,

By looking at the new tree and thinking about the new LLD-Meta comming up, i was wondering if the Duelist starting area isn't a bit overtuned currently.

By now, you can easily get ~50% life, 100% Evasion, 70% Armour and 2% regen on top of it for solid defenses. If you go swords, you will be able to get ~150% increased melee physical damage, ~40% attack speed and +2 weapon range from "Master of the Arena". Also you get 23% block penetration for free (with a block reduction gem, you can ignore block on every shield available atm). He gets no movement speed, but that is perfectly counter fited by "Art of the Gladiator" notable - he also can wear armour gear without any penalty.

So you get:
- a very good health pool
- very good hybrid defense Armour/EV
- very high attack damage and attack speed
- free blockpenetration

Duelist overshadows the other classes by far, when it comes to 1h/2h melee/dualwielding. He is more tanky than a Marauder could be at this level and nearly as fast attacking and agile as a ranger (ranger only gets 8% attack speed more). Ranger also gets Acrobatics, which Duelist can't, but also less evasion despite being the pure evasion class on the tree. Ranger also can't get block penetration any more and has less access to damage nodes when comparing wit a Duelist.

Duelist is going to be a, nearly, unstopable killing mashine in LLD it seems, but i really wanted to hear the thoughts of the experts here. What do you think about the Duelist in case of LLD in 1.3.0.

Discuss!
duelist is pure crap for pve though, it was the weakest and will be even weaker now
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
I have been looking at it too. One thing to note is that he actually gets less block pen than previously. Other than that I agree that the duelist has gotten insanely strong for PvP without crit, only exception to that is twin terrors.

The APS is insane and so is the damage. U get acces to unwavering stance somewhat easier aswell (for some builds, which can mean the difference of 400 life, resists and other stats.)

He still does not get acrobatics tho, and currently 70 percent of llders seem to be Shadows or Rangers and Witch. The dex side of the tree is the only tree that seems to be introduced to LLD, but now the STR/DEX class actually got introduced more aswell. (Not that it sucked previously.)

I quess we are going to figure out if stuff is op or up by seeing how marauders and templars are going to perform. Currently the templar is actually the strongest for extremely early PvP. (Very high damage on hit early on while still getting life, talking about current tree.)

IMO the balance is not only related to classes, but base weapons associated with the characters, which are going to be extremely hard to change in order to balance better for PvP, but with this duelist tree revamp I hope we could see more weapons being viable.

The templar is also interresting. I def think its a buff for him in LLD (For melee. dont ask me about casters.) The problem about the templar is that 1: There are no good melee skills associated with him for LLD other than possibly Glacial Hammer, which got fucked by a nerf and introduction of Multistrike (Possibly increased mana reservation for Hatred, as it costed alot of mana to use GH), and 2: His base items suck dick, which encourages you to use duelist weapons on a templar for LLD in Melee. One thing that might change is the new upcoming elemental melee skill, which I hope for Gods sake will be some sort of high damage multiplier ele skill. If it doenst help, the be prepared for Melee templar to suck dick even harder than you have ever seen in LLD in the history of PoE, because he can no longer use duelist weapons, which tells you alot about how base weapons are not taken much into consideration when it comes to LLD balance.

I know im talking about other classes, but thats because the base weapons are associated with these characters. I play the Duelist only because the templar is a piece of shit, and because base tiers are better for Duelist. Its just rly retarded how the templar works with current tree for LLD.

Duelist did need a smaall buff imo, im just more concerned about base item balance more than I am with tree balance as of this update. (Mainly because Fell The Weak and, the Sword node under it got removed near templar.)

FIX THE TEMPLARS BASE WEAPONS FOR LLD, and for God sake give the poor old man a skill that doesnt suck dick.(And then nerf the skill that somewhat sucks dick???) The only reason duelist is "killing machine" is because it was possible to make him due to base item tiers, so GGG grabbed that option. (Which will prob, introduce some more variety hopefully.) It seems they cant do that for Templar, but we will see.

I rly dont feel like commenting on Marauder due to lack of experience. He got some sword nodes now tho, and u can potentially get block pen nodes with him, which does give him something at least.

Duelist still doesnt get acrobatics, just keep that one in mind. Anyways thats just my opinion on the topic.

By all means tho, strength based Melee needed a HUGE buff in LLD, Duelist just happens to be str/dex so he gets DOUBLE BUFF, at least thats the reason I see as to why he got so strong. Next step is to make "int based melee" work.

if resolute technique was closer, it might have been a nice counter to crit daggers as you'd cut through part of their block and their evasion.

Looking forward to free lvl 28 chars though to help out with testing builds
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Why do people make these kind of threads when they've never even played with the tree.

Just wait till release and then post relevant feedback if you still have it.
"
Lordsidro wrote:
Why do people make these kind of threads when they've never even played with the tree.

Sry, i just wanted to compare the starting areas stat-wise and the numbers alone seem a bit overtuned. That is only my personal opinion. I would like to see more diversity in LLD, don't get me wrong, but i also don't want it to become something like this:

- Step 1) Get a Sword with Vegan's signature mod, regal it and master craft the rest
- Step 2) Get a Flicker Strike gem and whirling blades gem to rush the opponent
- Step 3) pop flasks (if needed) and double strike the opponent down

Your opponent can not evade your attacks (Vegan's mod) and can not block (blockpenetration from tree + gem), he can only dodge some of them if he has the Acrobatics cluster. He can not flee easily because of Flicker Strike and Whirling Blades. Smoke Mine has also no effect...

These are just some thoughts, nothing more. And i am wondering what the community is thinking.

I know you are a honerable PVP LLD player, no one has played with the tree yet on a live version, this is correct, you are right, but why not sharing some thoughts with each other about it?
crafting a vegan sword will leave you with a 100-115ish dps sword if you get a lucky regal.

Id still take a 165+ pdps foil over a vegan sword.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
andkamen wrote:
crafting a vegan sword will leave you with a 100-115ish dps sword if you get a lucky regal.

Pretty sure this can get to 140ish pdps, with bench mods and divines. And it can get crit I guess.
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
"
Lordsidro wrote:

Sry, i just wanted to compare the starting areas stat-wise and the numbers alone seem a bit overtuned. That is only my personal opinion. I would like to see more diversity in LLD, don't get me wrong, but i also don't want it to become something like this:

- Step 1) Get a Sword with Vegan's signature mod, regal it and master craft the rest
- Step 2) Get a Flicker Strike gem and whirling blades gem to rush the opponent
- Step 3) pop flasks (if needed) and double strike the opponent down

Your opponent can not evade your attacks (Vegan's mod) and can not block (blockpenetration from tree + gem), he can only dodge some of them if he has the Acrobatics cluster. He can not flee easily because of Flicker Strike and Whirling Blades. Smoke Mine has also no effect...

These are just some thoughts, nothing more. And i am wondering what the community is thinking.

I know you are a honerable PVP LLD player, no one has played with the tree yet on a live version, this is correct, you are right, but why not sharing some thoughts with each other about it?

The main thing is, duels aren't that one denominational in practice (in higher skill play). Even in the melee ditto, clubbing it out right-click war is a terrible strategy (assuming your gear isn't strictly better than your opponents). Gaining an edge on your opponent via, positioning, traps, flask usage, curses, untraded ranged attacks is superior to clubbing it out and praying for good RNG.

I understand that your perception is that it's overtuned. I'm saying how the builds actually play out matters more than the raw numbers. Facebreaker does a billion damage but the build is still poor because the maneuverability is poor.

Swords(and duelist) are very solid but they don't do anything exceptional or surprising. You always know what to expect, the mileage doesn't vary a ton and you can plan accordingly.

Edit: the availability of keystones and diversity of the starting area is what makes the classes unique. Duelist has it's strength of being very well rounded.
Last edited by Lordsidro on Dec 5, 2014, 3:07:31 PM
"
"
andkamen wrote:

Pretty sure this can get to 140ish pdps, with bench mods and divines. And it can get crit I guess.

Ill just leave this here.

Last edited by lapiz on Dec 10, 2014, 5:03:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info