[2.0] SuperNova - whole screen 137K DPS Ice Nova | Atziri ez GGG featured

"
GOdliked wrote:
Ice Spear is suggested...
What about Glacial Cascade? We got the AoE nodes to be able to use Conc' with it... and still hit 2-3 times with it on act/map bosses.

Sry missed your post.

My rationale of choosing Ice Spear for single target dps is as follow:
1) the major reason is 2nd form 600% increase crit chance is very op. When fighting bosses, there are cases when u have no power charges up. The second form bonus will allow the spell to function quite well even without power charges. All the crit multi from tree or gear will still be useful in this way.

2) there won't be a slot for Conc. effect I am using a 4L vertex(with innate +1 gem), my original idea is Ice Spear - spell echo/faster casting - cold pen - lv3 empower. This make ice spear lv 24. probably the best scaling for a 4L (have not done any calculation or testing yet.)

3) i want a long range spell, where a can dps from a long distance if i can't tank boss. ice spear fits this notion. Glacial cascade might have a similar range (no idea), but have i drawback i want to avoid - travelling on ground, meaning positioning is very important for the skill which i don't like.

4) Glacial Cascade is half phy, half cold dmg, so half of the damage is not scale by cold damage -> not good.

1 drawback of ice spear is its tricky to aim.
and if using echo, it may lock you in a position for half a sec or less.

An alternative is to use
Remote mine - vaal spark - gmp - lightning pen

To conclude, that ice spear is optional. I, myself, just like the idea that there is a skill i can fall back to without swapping gem if close range ice nova is not working or being too risky. you can do whatever you like with the spare 4 link. Maybe +1 to HoI, HoT, PoI and swap the gem setup a bit.
Update to the Carcass Jack build.
Physical Damage has always been the weakness of carcass jack against lightning coil.

Today, I got one shot by a pack of devours (a rare in the pack) in 73 dark forest where i don't have endurance charge. Furthermore, I have several near death scenarios with those f**king devours in the map too.

Before that I received some warning when playing in a inc. 30% monster damage + vulnerability Dry Peninsular Map. In that map, i got hit to 40% hp by a pack of range trash human throwing stones.

As a result, I decided to swap the gem setup to hopefully remedy the problem.

The defense mechanics of the build is Cwdt setup for dealing with big physical hits; AA for smaller physical hits.

I have made the changes as follow.
1) Include enduring cry to solve the no endurance charge embarrassing situation.
2) Boost Arctic Armour to lv24 provide a stronger defense against physical & fire damage.
3) Vaal Grace for extra layer of defense

Unset Ring - 9/0 Vaal Grace (req. only 106 dex fitting Lv20 cold pen. 108 dex req.)
Vertex: 20/20 AA - 3/0Empower - 20/0 Clarity-20/0 Reduced Mana (Around 740 unreserved mana)
Windscream: 10/0 Cwdt - 10/20 Immortal Call - 11/0 Enduring Cry - 20/20 Inc. Duration

If no unset ring (around 540 unreserved mana)
Vertex AA-Empower-Clarity-Vaal Grace (Be careful with the lv of vaal grace)

Note. Clarity is placed with empower to make sure that the build can still be run in immune curse and half regen mods.

Although now with strong clarity which is able to sustain ice nova spamming, I think I will still keep Warlord's Mark as the second curse for its life and mana leech and endurance charge generation which is better than enfeeble or temp chain as a defense curse. Other offensive options, such as Ele weakness or frostbite, are a bit of overkill as we already have enough dps.
Last edited by MinaGing on Nov 13, 2014, 2:33:00 PM
This is why I use lightning coil and over max lightning resistances.

4500 life becomes 7500 EHP with lightning coil.
4500 life is 4500 EHP with Jack.

Before I started doing Atziri trio I never used a CWDT setup and still dont when mapping. Have not died whole time 91-92 player lvl. Lightning Coil is the defensive setup for this build IMHO. Since you have one maybe try it on that same rare devourer again?

Defocusing on crit also weaken defenses as well since crit is freeze status effect. Higher crit the more freeze the less monster bother you.

I really want to use Carcass Jack though...maybe like you said with Arc 25 inside vertex pumped by empower. But then I lose a an aura.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 13, 2014, 7:39:59 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
This is why I use lightning coil and over max lightning resistances.

4500 life becomes 7500 EHP with lightning coil.
4500 life is 4500 EHP with Jack.

Before I started doing Atziri trio I never used a CWDT setup and still dont when mapping. Have not died whole time 91-92 player lvl. Lightning Coil is the defensive setup for this build IMHO. Since you have one maybe try it on that same rare devourer again?

Defocusing on crit also weaken defenses as well since crit is freeze status effect. Higher crit the more freeze the less monster bother you.

I really want to use Carcass Jack though...maybe like you said with Arc 25 inside vertex pumped by empower. But then I lose a an aura.

Lightning Coil is far superior in defense without a single doubt.

In terms of phy dmg mitigration potential, cwdt straight up win. Phy damage immune >>>> any EHP. I think i will keep this setup for carcass jack and see how it performs in higher level maps.

De-focusing on crit less defense? Yes and no. Yes i have less crit chance, less freeze chance, but i will definitely kill the mob in a certain period of time due to stable dps output and non-reliance on power charges (which i enjoy a lot). Power charges and endurance charges generated by curse on hit are kind of like rampage bonus to the carcass jack build, giving more damage and defense.

Another skill aside ice nova is a bad idea (I got side-track). I will be trying to use those 4 excess gem slots for anything to boost the physical damage reduction of the build. Molten shell and vaal molten shell are potential candidate, but i see how my new setup works for now.
"
Mujics wrote:
Getting close to the 30k

With 6 power charges ( dont have 20 regrets to respect bandits ) and no atziri flask
DPS = 28,6K

Gear
Spoiler

Passives
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMC_gQHBUIHHgelCPQMfQ5IEFgQfxEPEZYUsBZAFr8XVBo4HRQfxyKBJpUo-io4K3gsnC2LNZI9X0GHQZZCw0WdSVFJskwtTLNQMFJTU1JVS1XGVkpYrltZXfJfKmHiY0NknWaeakNtGXBScNV_xoIQgh6Cx4PbhX2J04w2jjyPRo_6kFWVLpeVmuCboZ6hn7Sio6cIp4SpbqyYrrOvm7Xytz64k7zqwBrAVMHzxp7Q9di92wvbXt-E34rfsOvk6-7r9fDV8h331_no-tL-Cg==

Nice ammy bro.. YOLO some spell dam on there maybe? You got two chances! That one maybe worth eternal though....

I'm 27K now with no conc will be 30+ when I wear the vertex and pump the heralds to 25. Don't care for short range of conc and even 20K lays waste to all maps and even in apex so I think it's overkill compared to range utility.

Couple questions. How are you doing with Carcass Jack in survival department? Is CWDT setup enough? How about power charges? Can you make whole map charges up with only 18% duration on tree? I find 36% to be bare minimum and you have to really push it. Like mazes like underground river I lose it a couple times.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 14, 2014, 3:57:16 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

I'm 27K now with no conc will be 30+ when I wear the vertex and pump the heralds to 25. Don't care for short range of conc and even 20K lays waste to all maps and even in apex so I think it's overkill compared to range utility.

Lightning Coil definitely no conc. effect.
Carcass Jack definitely conc. effect. Only lost 2.2 radius with conc. effect. See my spreadsheet calculation please.

Because of conc. effect, dps with no power charge is still decent.

BTW Deep you should read Etup Crit Ice Nova Build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/924551
I think with a larger life pool on Carcass jack since we are gear similarly, we will do just as good as lightning coil.
Note: Etup is too using rumi's, Cdwt and Empower AA for phy defense. Carcass jack just save all those points going into Templar tree.

To Mujics, don't use Atziri Promise. Rumi's is far superior as damage boost nice not necessary, leech negligible due to vaal pact. Only useful stuff is chaos resist.

Lastly some random thoughts
I am using
Vertex AA - Empower - Clarity - Reduced Mana
If there is no mana issue, clarity should swap with HoT (Yes not HoI, not mistyped)
for boosting lightning damage on lightning warp and ice nova so shock status aliment will last longer.
Last edited by MinaGing on Nov 14, 2014, 12:43:52 PM
With Conc you lose your green socket for swap to GMP shotgun with boss. I am now killing apex bosses before they fire a shot most of the time @ 5 x 21K DPS. Without conc even apex map magic monster die one two shot. I feel FN DPS is solid enough in all map and losing GMP shotgun effect not worth running conc in map. I guess you could reoll staff everytime but that that gets expensive. Taking Cold Penetration out is out of question.

I promise you when you guys start doing atziri let alone UBER you will see utility in coil where you run CWDT and rumi too but with ~35% more EHP on top of all that and GMP shotgunning. Beyond that I will be running 96% lightning and fire resistances when I get my double curse +1 aura boots from standard. Virtually immune to damage with instant leech.

Eventually w/UBER I will actually spec out of AOE nodes and take flask right above them to get 96% resits under flask. 75% base cap, 8% for purities, 13% flask = 96% with resists that high uber easy just like with RF arcer. But now you got 4-5x DPS over the arc build and even more than RF flamesurge. LC gets even stronger at 96% resits since there it really has 40% phys damage reduction instead of only 30% with 75% resits. So now you're at 40% more EHP vs phys than Jack.

When I get in Standard I will test apex with my 6L jack (dont have one in rampage) to see how viable it is though.

2%? Conc is 30% reduction to AOE Jack gives 20% back therefore should be 10% less AoE than running Added Cold LC. Not a big deal either way main reason I run Added cold is for GMP shotgun swap on superboss like in apex and eventually uber.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 14, 2014, 6:54:21 PM
It's definitely squishier but I'm not planing on doing uber and with a full Inmortal call setup and good reflex on the pots I've survived for now.

If I get some better gear, like +1 level boots and finish the amulet maybe I'll try atziri and think of uber using the LC.
8 deaths today while doing 74 map. Yes, i f**king suck. Lucky, I am only 87, and spamming 74 maps. I think i only wasted like 25-30 74 map of exp which is around 60c.

Still it underlines weakness of this build.
Ironically, after boosting defense against physical, I die to spell not a single time to physical damage .... :(

This build has the same problem with all melee build, when fighting boss, it is either a hit or miss.
Either you wreck boss, or you have a hard time fighting with a 50% chance dying.
I die 4 times to vaal to the laser. (some cause by lightning warp, some are due to stupid map mods which are not damage related)
I die to dominus 3 times and fail to kill him (that soul thing just kill me so fast). <= warp in ice nova is not a viable way to fight.

Will using lightning coil (with purity of lightning) make a difference, probably, but i think i still have 80% chance of dying still.

Map mods the build not recomend doing
Blood magic <= just can't
Anything relate to regen <= no AA, might oom
ele reflect <= it only take 1 mess up of flask usage to die

Not recommend fighting boss
Curse immue <= no freeze , no flask refill... <= no crit, killing boss take ages
% ice resistance <= can't freeze, or kill boss quick inc. chance dying
temp chain, chill ground <= make dodging much harder
% inc. Monster Life <= freeze duration of boss decrease sightly more dangerous

I think a gem swap for fighting boss is absolutely necessary. I think ice spear is better than arctic breath. (My fighting style is keeping to the farthest distance from the boss while in sight to allow more time to react.)

Current Ice Nova skill link
Ice Nova - Concentrated Effect - Added Cold - Cold Pen - Faster Casting - Life Leech

Gem swap
Ice Spear - Power Charge on Critical - Less Multiple Projectiles - Cold Pen - Faster Casting - Life Leech

Reason
Ice Spear
- first form 100% pierce (in short range) better clearing of mobs
- second form high crit chance = more damage&freeze > more defense
Power Charge on Critical
- Hopefully Permanent Freeze Mobs, and more damage
LMP
- Can aoe clear mobs
- Easier to aim.
Faster Casting
- reduce the locking time caused by echo.

PS. Arctic Breath will do more damage if have the power charge, but due to the mediocre crit chance, i have a hard time generating power charges.

Side notes: I like righteous arc more than this build, rf arc clear slightly slower, but far more safer and more versatile to map mods in my opinion. swapping to dual wield when - max or half regen.
Last edited by MinaGing on Nov 16, 2014, 2:09:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info