ShatterBolt [1.3 Viable end game Self substainable Herlad of Thunder/Ice build]

It's fun build but sucks (can't kill) on bosses. It's also very fragile when you actually take damage sometimes.
I'm using triple curse and standard CwDT+EC+IC+IncDur setup
compared to the oryginal build.
I tried like all the spells for applying curses and the Firestorm is just GREAT for it since you have both AoE and akill duration nodes and its much safer than ice nova since you don't have to run inside the packs. I'm also leveling it and it's actually doing some damage! (also a bit of shocks too).
I still level my gems but I can do shipyards and even kill the boss with two vall storms.
IGN: Drusek
This build is the funnest build I ever played. I am using berek's grip and if u use grip, u probably do far more dps since u can use spells almost indefinitely. I am using 6l carcass jack with little amount of mana left to cast my incinerate and vaal storm call. While playing this build, I noticed that elemental reflect was kinda problem even with berek's grip so I had to put life leech in both herald of thunder and ice. I think I can carry half of the group with this build since vaal storm call is so op.
Spoiler
Last edited by WeaponMeister on Nov 28, 2014, 9:12:33 PM
"
WeaponMeister wrote:
This build is the funnest build I ever played. I am using berek's grip and if u use grip, u probably do far more dps since u can use spells almost indefinitely. I am using 6l carcass jack with little amount of mana left to cast my incinerate and vaal storm call. While playing this build, I noticed that elemental reflect was kinda problem even with berek's grip so I had to put life leech in both herald of thunder and ice. I think I can carry half of the group with this build since vaal storm call is so op.

Drop Lifeleech and get Vaal Pact with the Grip. Reflect only is dangerous when mobs are frozen in the first place (because of chain HoI explosions), when Grips Leech kicks in. The build has way too low hp to profit of that much leech (2% ele from doris, 1% light from belt and 5% from ring) as it is. What is saving you is the quality from your leech (unless you already run VP, but then the gem is just as unnecessary!), not the leech itself. May look into vorici gloves too, but VP is easier and safer. The 6th gem slot can be added cold on HoT for the freeze chance from the quality, providing a substantial boost in survivability and clearspeed (Or something better you come up with, but def not Lifeleech)

No prolif on Ice is pretty bad as well, imo.

Agreed on all other points (VSC OP, funniest build ever)

Just wanted to point out, OP is not unaware of Grip, but he played it in temp league where it was a bitch to get one - he said as much earlier in the thread iirc.
Last edited by Inkompetentia on Nov 28, 2014, 5:41:16 PM
"
Inkompetentia wrote:
"
WeaponMeister wrote:
Spoiler

Drop Lifeleech and get Vaal Pact with the Grip. Reflect only is dangerous when mobs are frozen in the first place (because of chain HoI explosions), when Grips Leech kicks in. The build has way too low hp to profit of that much leech (2% ele from doris, 1% light from belt and 5% from ring) as it is. What is saving you is the quality from your leech (unless you already run VP, but then the gem is just as unnecessary!), not the leech itself. May look into vorici gloves too, but VP is easier and safer. The 6th gem slot can be added cold on HoT for the freeze chance from the quality, providing a substantial boost in survivability and clearspeed (Or something better you come up with, but def not Lifeleech)

No prolif on Ice is pretty bad as well, imo.

Agreed on all other points (VSC OP, funniest build ever)

Just wanted to point out, OP is not unaware of Grip, but he played it in temp league where it was a bitch to get one - he said as much earlier in the thread iirc.

I had to test whether it is safe without life leech gem after I spent points on vaal pact, after some testings, without life leech on herald of thunder, u will be getting reflect damage by herald of thunder so I had to put life leech gem on. Also I tested with ur added cold gem and 10% chance to freeze is nice but still not enough to cover the elemental reflect. Even after freeze, I got reflect damage so u probably need life leech gem. If u use life leech gem, life is leeched as herald of thunder even if it is reflect pack and for herald of ice, u still get some reflect damage if chain explosion crits an enemy. I think life leech gem is better since you can also deal damage with your incinerate on reflect packs while playing and recover some of your life back after taking some reflect damage from your spells.
Last edited by WeaponMeister on Nov 29, 2014, 3:27:13 AM
I have no problems with reflect having VP - when my IC starts activating and my life starts going down I just use fire and atziri flask.
IGN: Drusek
"
WeaponMeister wrote:
I had to test whether it is safe without life leech gem after I spent points on vaal pact, after some testings, without life leech on herald of thunder, u will be getting reflect damage by herald of thunder so I had to put life leech gem on. Also I tested with ur added cold gem and 10% chance to freeze is nice but still not enough to cover the elemental reflect. Even after freeze, I got reflect damage so u probably need life leech gem. If u use life leech gem, life is leeched as herald of thunder even if it is reflect pack and for herald of ice, u still get some reflect damage if chain explosion crits an enemy. I think life leech gem is better since you can also deal damage with your incinerate on reflect packs while playing and recover some of your life back after taking some reflect damage from your spells.

Since im using a lvl21 Herald of Thunder with lvl4 empower, im pretty youre not dealing more damage than me with your HoT, yet I take 0 damage from reflect with atziri flask, dual doryanis, lightdoryani belt, Berek's Grip and VP. Thats without even resist-flasking. Not sure, you must be doing something wrong.

Even if HoI crits, the damage scales the same way the leech does (DUH!), and with VP, as long as you arent oneshotting (LITERAL 1shot = one instance for all of your hp), it doesnt make a difference whether it crits or not. If youre trying to lifeleech 15% of your damage on a 3k hp pool, however, youre probably dead. There must be something else vital you're doing terribly wrong in your VP setup.

The only reason Im replying is that you said "you will get damage from reflect" - cause Im not, and no one else is either with VP-Bereks setup. Its only you, what are the chances?
Last edited by Inkompetentia on Nov 30, 2014, 12:58:31 PM
"
Inkompetentia wrote:
"
WeaponMeister wrote:

Since im using a lvl21 Herald of Thunder with lvl4 empower, im pretty youre not dealing more damage than me with your HoT, yet I take 0 damage from reflect with atziri flask, dual doryanis, lightdoryani belt, Berek's Grip and VP. Thats without even resist-flasking. Not sure, you must be doing something wrong.

Even if HoI crits, the damage scales the same way the leech does (DUH!), and with VP, as long as you arent oneshotting (LITERAL 1shot = one instance for all of your hp), it doesnt make a difference whether it crits or not. If youre trying to lifeleech 15% of your damage on a 3k hp pool, however, youre probably dead. There must be something else vital you're doing terribly wrong in your VP setup.

The only reason Im replying is that you said "you will get damage from reflect" - cause Im not, and no one else is either with VP-Bereks setup. Its only you, what are the chances?

Well if u try to play reflect maps, u'll have to get ur atziri flask up all the time but do u think u can handle that? Of course u won't get reflect damage if u use atziri flask, but u have to kill mobs in 5~6 seconds before atziri flask ends. Well I hardly doubt u can kill mobs faster than that and if u try to kill mob with incinerate, u'll get damage. Your Herald of Thunder is hitting with 8.6k damage per mobs when u get near it. Skipping is nice but I prefer more safe. Did u even try reflect maps? U will be having hard time clearing since you won't even have life filling up and going down if u not kill before atziri flask ends, and u eventually will spend all life flasks too. You can put added cold instead and be killed more faster, but u will have to skip reflect maps and if u use life leech u can play more safer.
Last edited by WeaponMeister on Nov 30, 2014, 9:45:19 PM
i kill myself easy with bereks setup, it oneshot me offscreen more then 1 time, so i gonna try life leech at 6th link and i hope it gonna help.
This build looks amazing! Will try this one on the reset day :D
"
WeaponMeister wrote:
"
Inkompetentia wrote:
"
WeaponMeister wrote:

Well if u try to play reflect maps, u'll have to get ur atziri flask up all the time but do u think u can handle that? Of course u won't get reflect damage if u use atziri flask, but u have to kill mobs in 5~6 seconds before atziri flask ends. Well I hardly doubt u can kill mobs faster than that and if u try to kill mob with incinerate, u'll get damage. Your Herald of Thunder is hitting with 8.6k damage per mobs when u get near it. Skipping is nice but I prefer more safe. Did u even try reflect maps? U will be having hard time clearing since you won't even have life filling up and going down if u not kill before atziri flask ends, and u eventually will spend all life flasks too. You can put added cold instead and be killed more faster, but u will have to skip reflect maps and if u use life leech u can play more safer.

Yeah, no. So you want to tell me that leech rate with 3k hp is safer than VP versus reflect. Just believe what you want, in the end Im clearing reflect 75+ maps without breaking a sweat, while you die with that exact same setup (?)

The fact you believe added cold kills you faster just shows how you still dont understand the mechanics. Added colds only purpose is getting a more reliable freezechance (25% --> 35%), so you have BEREKS' LIFE LEECH more reliably versus reflect.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leech#Recovery_rate

Remember the most dangerous moment (only one, really, for any setup) is when Herald of Ice's explosion makes a chain explosion - something that happens EVERY PACK with the way this build works, for ALL MOBS EXCEPT THE FIRST ONE TO DIE. You then hit every mob X times, whereas X is the number of mobs that lived before it. On a pack with 8 initial mobs, that is 7+6+5+4+3+2+1 hits of herald of ice, assuming every explosion hits every mob (not unreasonable with the AoE increase the build has), which makes 28 instances of damage. You leech off one at any time, or multiple up to your leech rate. Which is, again, 20% base, or for your setup 24% of your maximum life per second. Assuming 3k hp, thats 600 base, or 720 for your 20q lifeleech setup. With Bereks you already have 7% lifeleech, the only way that the extra leech off the gem makes a difference is if you were to not go up to your leech rate with the 7% leech from 2x doryianis and bereks. The only reasonable difference the lifeleech gem makes, is the aforementioned leech rate increase.

Whats better than leech rate increase? Instant leech. Vaal Pact with 7% leech becomes 2.8% leech. Reflect is 15% of incoming damage, resist takes that down to 3.75%, leaving a whooping 0.95% of the initial damage unleeched. Activating any flask (ruby, atziri, hp flask) would completely negate this loss of life, something one does instantly when encountering reflect. Its also not NEARLY enough to kill you unless youre actively trying to get killed, or doing something HORRIBLY wrong, even when not using flasks (dying offscreen? At what resolution does that guy play?)

If you insist on wasting a gemslot, then fucking use your lifeleech gem, i dont care. But for the love of god, go VP with the 3k hp this build runs around with!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info