A look back in time : Design of Cloak of Defiance

I feel like their moving of MoM after taking off the extra 10% made this really useless.

I think they need to revert that nerf to CoD and maybe make it MoM + 20% or something to make mana sheild actually take a dent out of what would otherwise go to the dome.

I think this was just a perfect storm of Flameblast being OP making spell casters the best choice and AA as a def (AA should of been a huge degen per sec, not only when moving.... lighting warp was a way around that loophole...), the change to Auras to take a large % and I think this was the same time there was a nerf to life % from 7,8 and some 12% down to mostly 5's and 6's.

Sad really to find a CoD like me and see it's worth maybe an alch or MAYBE a chaos. The main benefit of CoD was not to have to travel the tree, but they put it right along the path to the main people whp use it, which is great, but now why use CoD?

And a good point that MoM WOULD be best on eva chars to be that extra buffer for when they get hit because of their low life on that side of the tree, but I guess that idea is gone now :(
Nice necroing
I think the other huge hit, aside from moving MoM and the nerf, was the change to AA. People built mana sustain for AA when moving and MoM when standing still.
This item isn't nearly as useful as it once was, but I did make an archer that utilized it, acrobatics, and % of dmg returned as mana that was really strong in the last beta. Still a good item, maybe falls further into the niche appeal originally intended.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Mar 17, 2016, 1:48:27 PM
Ok guys, i think i won't drag anymore and will post what i have came up with. First, here is a video with lvl 73 templar on lvl 73 white colonnade:

https://youtu.be/iu7XD3e2TwU

There was 62% MoM effectiveness while on 7 power charges. This kind of defense type works, but probably it takes a little too much. There was 2 major things which allowed to pull it off-

*first it was amazing enchant i got from labyrinth "2% regenerates mana", this mod is simply nuts! (watch in video how quickly mana regens) it does not only add 2% mana regen, but it adds those 2% to your base 1,75% mana regen which basically doubles your mana regen and its irreplaceable mod on heavy MoM character.

*and second- vinktars ofcourse. it allows to extend life pool by leeching ES with ghost reaver.

Without those two its really difficult to make it work, and those two to get- costs a lot and requires rngessus blessing to get that mod on boots.
Defensively it kinda works, definitely not the best defense, although there is more space to get better. Offensively, straightly- it sucks, in video i used four link with pseudo 5th echo in pledge of hands (used lightning penetration, power charge on crit and elemental focus), dps were 14k, potentially with 6link and jewels i expect to be 30-35k.

How much its viable, its up to you to decide:)
Last edited by Andrius319 on Mar 17, 2016, 6:48:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info