[1.2] Whaitiri's "Igna Fakenix" - RF Firestorm/Fireball/Vaal Molten Shell [Videos added]

Hello, welcome to my Igna Fakenix build!

This build is based on an idea i've developed while mindlessly grinding in Beyond.
The general concept was creating an actually viable version of the Rogue Exile, Igna Phoenix.

It makes use of Righteous Fire-buffed Firestorm, Fireball and Vaal Molten Shell for offense.
Defense comes from Arctic Armour, Immortal Call and once again, Vaal Molten Shell.
Most of the skillset gets further buffed to max. duration through nodes and gems.

This build is aimed at solo players, parties may hate the lag Firestorm can cause.
If you are mainly a solo player and prefer Spellcasters like i do, keep reading!

--------------------------------------------------------

1. Passive Tree

2. Bandit Rewards

Help Oak
Kill All
Help Oak

3. Gems

Spoiler
Our AoE spell. A 4l-setup is already sufficient for mapping. Enhance reduces time between balls falling, effectively adding more balls per cast and increasing our AoE-coverage.
Here's a little table of time between balls/balls falling per cast per Enhance Level, with taking into account the game always rounds down: None/Lv1: 0.08s (30 balls); Lv2: 0.07s (35 balls); Lv3: 0.06s (41 balls); Lv4: 0.05s (49 balls).
Added Chaos adds some more Burst Damage of each ball but suffers from Firestorms Damage Effectiveness. You can also use Faster Casting for less burst/reduced cast time.

Spoiler
Our single target spell. Concentrated Effect and Fire Penetration both don't increase Fireball's tooltip damage, but they are infact the strongest supports for this gem.
LMP would be better than GMP, i'm just using the ladder one for Igna-authenticity.
No quality needed at Fireball.

Spoiler
Vaal Molten Shell is awesome! It's both, offensive and defensive without many supports. The high burst damage kills stuff charging at you quickly, while Life Leech helps surviving possible added elemental damage. We also throw Immortal Call in here for maximum efficiency of Increased Duration.

Spoiler
You either need a Lv21 PoF, or (way cheaper) have to put these into a +1 Gem item. Only a Lv2 Empower is needed for the ladder option, but the little extra regen you gain from a Lv24 Vitality doesn't hurt.

Spoiler
The first two should be self-explanatory. Decoy Totem to distract nastier targets.

Spoiler
Echo-supported Enduring Cry to generate charges for easy 100% Immortal Call uptime. Also throwing in Righteous Fire here, for easier item colouring. No quality needed on Spell Echo.

Spoiler
Whaitiri, you've used up all slots already! Wrong. This is one of the rare builds that actually need an Unset Ring to function properly. You could also put RF here and AA into your wand/shield, but this way chroming your colours gets way easier.

4. Equipment

Our main stats are Life and Mana Regeneration Rate. 45 Dexterity is needed on gear for maxing out GMP.

Weapon: A rare wand/sceptre with Spell Damage, Cast Speed and Fire Leech (Lv6 Catarina prefix) works best. Fire Damage % and Mana/Mana Regen are good additions.

Shield: Rise of the Phoenix. No other choices here.

Chest: I've tested many chests and came to the conclusion, Carcass Jack is the best choice. It's an overall strong and well designed unique and fits this build perfectly.
A rare EB chest with Life and Resistance rolls should work too, but you'll lose the AoE mods.

Helmet: Best place to get +1 Gems for PoF/Vitality in form of Geofri's Crest. If you're lucky enough to own a Lv21 PoF and Lv3 Empower, use any rare helmet with Life and Resistances.

Gloves: Nothing fancy here. Get solid gloves with Life and Resistance rolls. Also a good place for Dexterity. Cast Speed corruption would top things off, but it's not neccessary.

Boots: Like gloves, use a rare with Life and Resistances. I also recommend a high Movement Speed roll, as we don't have any Movement Skill. And once again, a good spot to gain Dexterity from.

Belt: If you got Fire Leech on your weapon, get a Leather Belt with Life and Resistances. Armour and ES are also nice to have.
Without Fire Leech on your weapon you should use a Doryani's Invitation with fire roll.

Rings: Life, Mana Regen and Resistances is what you should get. Useful additions are Cast Speed, Fire Dmg%, ES, Mana, Dexterity. Keep in mind that one ring must be an Unset Ring.

Amulet: Same as rings, with the addition of Spell Damage.

Flasks: A Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline to make up for our lack of a movement skill. A Topaz Flask of Grounding to counter Lightning Thorns and Shock. Fill the other three slots with either Ruby or Life Flasks with Staunching, Warding and Heat. You could also switch out the Heat flask for Atziri's Promise. All flasks should have either Perpetual or Ample prefix, if you use Life Flasks a Seething one is good too.

5. Leveling

Leveling is possible with the Firestorm/Fireball combo and Lifesprig+Crest/Dual Lifesprig, you just won't be able to sustain RF until endgame. Use Life Leech in your Firestorm chain for more survivability while leveling. Cruel Sceptre of God/Dominus can get a bit funky, take it as your first real tutorial for proper Decoy Totem placement.

Here's the recommended passive tree progression:

The build is basically done here. Once you got all the Life Regen nodes and can wear RotP, you should be able to run RF. Don't take Inner Force before you got Lv23 PoF/Vitality.

6. Gameplay

First of all, the build is not a simple facetank build and requires your full attention to work.

Most important thing: always keep up Immortal Call! Depending on map layout you'll also be able to keep up Vaal Molten Shell all the time.

Firestorm and Fireball are both ranged abilities, so make use of that advantage. Most lesser rares/bosses will die in your Firestorm, for bigger HP targets you're better off using Fireball.
Reflect is no issue due to high Fire Res and Arctic Armour. Lightning Thorns can get problematic, pop your Topaz Flask or use Fireball against this.

The build has one huge nemesis in form of high burst Cold/Lightning damage. Distract these kind of enemies with Decoy Totem and spam Firestorm at them.

All mapmods are possible, but some require a bit tweaking:

- -max Res: Disable RF and watch out for high elemental damage.

- Elemental Weakness: Depending on your total Fire Res, you may have to disable RF here.

- Half/No Regen: These are possible, but i highly recommend to avoid them. You lose both RF and AA, and you need a 5L to switch Enhance for Mana Leech to run this.

- Added Cold/Lightning Damage: Watch out and don't let too many things get close. I recommend keep casting Decoy Totem into the direction you walk and let it taunt possible stuff that waits offscreen to charge at you.

- Vulnerability: Either turn off RF, or use Ruby Flasks between packs.

- Blood Magic: Turn off RF and all auras here. You also lose AA, so play a bit cautious.

7. My Gear

8. Media

- Lv76 Crematorium [last stage + boss]
- Lv75 Plateau
*This video was recorded by a friend using my tree and gear.

Screenshots

*All screenshots are without temporary buffs.

9. FAQ

Q: How expensive is this build?
A: Pretty cheap actually, atleast in the targeted SC-leagues. You only need a 4L and no really expensive uniques for mapping. You can potentially fully gear this char for less than an Exalt in Rampage.

Q: Is this build HC-viable?
A: Yes and no. For the current Beyond League, i'd rather recommend a Maxblock-Build. Let's see what the future brings.

Q: Can this build kill Atziri?
A: Yes. Dual Vaals can get a bit tough, stay in motion and keep your Topaz/Sapphire Flasks ready. Trio is faceroll, keep Immortal Call up and avoid the degen ground. Atziri is fairly easy, try to avoid Storm Calls and her spears.

Q: Why didn't you go Crit?
A: Not enough points to effectively pull Crit and RF off. All the RF-relevant nodes are on the path we go for Inc Duration nodes, while Crit is in completely different directions.

Q: No Low-Life, Staff or Chance to Ignite? That's not very Igna-like!
A: A 1:1 Igna-build is just not viable for endgame maps. I've did some changes for maximum performance, while still being very close to Igna Phoenix.

Q: Why don't you use..
.. Doryani's Catalyst?
A: Don't get me wrong, it's a solid weapon and works well with this build, but a good rare wand outperforms it in terms of Cast Speed and possible Mana Regen at a lower price.

.. Apep's Rage?
A: One of my earlier drafts was more focused on Chaos Damage, and used this weapon. The huge cast speed is nice, but it doesn't really have anything else to offer for this build.

.. Searing Touch (or any other Staff)?
A: I know, the real Igna uses a Staff. My very first draft was also using a staff, and it was indeed possible to sustain RF without a +1 Max Res Chest/Amulet, but it basically took up all nodes to get Life Regen passives, required +1 Frenzy Charge Blood Dance and was still too unreliable and squishy. I eventually decided against Staves and went the conventional, more viable way to sustain RF.

.. Shavs/Solaris Lorica?
A: Another change from the original Igna i've made for the sake of viability. All the good Life Regen nodes are, what a surprise, around good Life nodes while not much ES is in sight. Going Low Life RF Caster just doesn't make much sense with the current tree.

.. Infernal Mantle?
A: I've used it for a while, but took way too much damage from Lightning/Cold Spells since this build is always on Low Mana. A fix for this would be getting a RRRR Alpha's Howl, but yeah..

.. Cloak of Defiance?
A: It's a fine piece, but MoM isn't the solution to everything. Without Maxblock/Spellblock you easily get OOM when it matters, even with ~300 Mana/s. This, and the fact that we reserve most mana makes it not a viable choice.

.. Lightning Coil?
A: We got 100% Immortal Call uptime, no need for Coil.

.. Cherrubim's Malefience?
A: I really like this chest, and planned it with Apep's Rage in an earlier draft. But it would require getting 4 off colours, which may be possible for a few players, but absolutely inacceptable as requirement for any build guide.

.. Alpha's Howl/The Vertex?
A: I'll combine these both, as they share the same reason why i decided against them. You'd need 4 off-colours without gaining any real advantage over Geofri's Crest.

.. Saffell's Frame?
A: We just need the extra Fire Res from RotP.

Q: Aren't AoE-Nodes bad with Firestorm?
A: This is only true if Firestorm is your only damage skill, as it will greatly reduce the chance of hitting Bosses. Since we have Fireball and Vaal Molten Shell for Single Targets, i went with boosting our AoE-Coverage with AoE-Nodes, Carcass Jack and Enhance for faster pack-clearing.
Also, the nodes highly increase Enduring Cries, Vaal Molten Shells and Decoy Totems range for our convenience, and to an less important extent even damage for RF and Fireballs explosion.

Q: No Lightning Warp?
A: LW is suboptimal for Firestorm builds, or any build taking the Increased Duration nodes in general. We also simply don't have enough slots for a LW-Setup. Movement Speed from boots, quality Arctic Armour and Quicksilver Flasks make up for it.

Thanks for reading my guide. Post questions and concerns in comments.
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Oct 19, 2014, 1:39:42 PM
Video would be great, looks interesting.
Fireball and Firestorm tooltip DPS?
Just for comparison reasons.
@Azial: A friend offered me to hop into some maps with me and record, i'll try to get that done asap.

@nebunelux: Tooltip is 1.5k on Firestorm (average dmg per ball), with one ball falling per 0.08s for 2.47s. A Lv3 Enhance in 6L reduces the time to one ball per 0.06s.

Fireball is 2.2k with GMP, 3k with LMP. Damage is way higher though, since both Conc Effect and Fire Pen don't affect the tooltip DPS.
twitch.tv/enki91
Why didn't you went the Low Life route? Pros and Cons?
Low Life RF Casters are just not worth it with the current tree. You wander around too much just to sustain RF, then need to get into the complete different direction for PA. On top, RotP gives very low ES, so we'd have to pick up lots of ES nodes to reach a reasonable ES pool which are again in a different direction. This would leave us with a build with lots of travelling nodes (+10 stat) and very slow build progression, and probably lower damage than this build has.
twitch.tv/enki91
What do you think about RF vs Crit issue?
Why didn't you go for crit on this build? I know it is "Igna Phoenix" build, but for the sake of the argument, what's your opinion on this matter?
We don't have enough points to effectively pull off RF and Crit, so it's either or.

A RF-less Crit version is just not what i wanted to make, and RF also synergizes well with the direction we go in the tree for duration nodes and allows for a much better build progression than if you go into each direction just for 2-3 nodes.
twitch.tv/enki91
Updated a bit, got me a 6L Carcass Jack and most importantly, added two videos.
twitch.tv/enki91
The Plateau video is excellent.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info