[1.3 Beyond/Bloodlines/Hardcore] "Budget" Ondar's AA Phys Wander aka. The Wandarcer

The build is extremely agile,

freezes most bosses (single target),

one shots most packs (GMP Chain ~150k total),

is immune to projectile attacks (devourers, tornado shot, suppressors, porcupines), and combines VERY well with your curse/aurabot friends. And can carry parties. Sold? Read on :)

End of league DPS, 5-link:
Spoiler

Videos are at the bottom of the post.

============================================================

1.3 TEMPORARY SKILL TREES & COMMENTS - scroll past for the original guide

The Crit Multi nerf hits us as hard as any other crit build, but it will absolutely still be playable in 1.3. I'm still waiting to see the effect of the final mana regen changes to the witch tree.

As close to the original as possible:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOprF5UgLR_B88UoTLOio4Ie9ltQMAQHf8YUsNsLWbzr5IPbEZbBxZphXypVxgceDkj678Jzx8o6WJUuY0Nd8vxkc3DJRPDVcNVKmp-Ivu5JUYnTogT25z9zcFLOcGznKgsJoPPqtUhtbAYjNj3ndB9BnarssOjWAx5irGyMjAsi6psmBbUWv7l8m7UyAY2_5oEmlRmKshlRR8u9YeL7Cc9651QwfFVL9tok_Y19fyuMNhqP_94j9nfX1opNklb6_MVnoId2459KfQ==

or (less life, a little more DPS)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOprF5UgLR_B88UoTLOio4Ie9ltQMAQHf8YUsNsLWbzr5IPbEZbBxZphXypVxgceDkj678Jzx8o6WJUuY0Nd8vxkc3DJRPDVcNVKmp-Ivu5JUYnTogT25z9zcFLOcGznKgsJoPPqtUhtbAYjNj3ndB9BnarssOjWAx5irGyMjAsi6psmBbUWv7l8m7UyAY2_5oEmlRmKshlRR8u9YeL7Cc9651QwfFVL9tph6yT9jX1_K4w2Go96U__eI_bWik2SD8Q7fLjK_5Owkg==

Who is this guide for?
Anyone who would like try try one of the cheapest ways of building an effective non-CoC wander after the 1.2 patch. You can start from scratch and casually level up a new character at your own pace using the beginner friendly levelling guide, or, if you have the currency, respec your old character and dive right in.

While no Chain-based wander spec is truly cheap, this is about as close to budget as you can get.

I came up with the concept for this build after weeks of brainstorming the 1.2 skill tree as soon as it was released. After playing the build the entirety of the Beyond league, I can only say it really works, and I love it. I've never had more fun in PoE.

Disclaimer
Spoiler
This build is mainly designed for climbing the ladder effectively in a new temp league, where extremely good gear is hard to find, and you have to make do with what's available. There is no other purpose. It's a fun way to enjoy Path of Exile, with the end goal of clearing end game maps (77/78) with ease, to reap the rewards.

While a wander can scale to infinity with better and better gear, it is functionally a mid-budget, entry level wander spec. However, no wander spec is truly dirt cheap, it's still somewhat gear dependent.

This build is specifically designed for being easier to gear up in a newer league, which may make some gear choices seem suboptimal, but they all work very well in unison. It's designed to be flexible with aura slots, allowing you to run purities or Grace instead of DPS auras if needed. It's a build with a lot of moving parts, you always have to be flexible and able to adapt when you're playing in a hardcore league with limited gear available. If you suddenly find yourself with a lot of currency, ignore this guide and go buy a Shavronne's + Acuity's. This build is not designed to faceroll everything in PoE, run Atziri, or even some map bosses, but rather designed to be able to run most maps effectively with limited gear and resources.

How to level (extensive, beginner friendly):
Spoiler
If you have a few chaos to spare, get a Lifesprig, Crest of Perandus, Wanderlust, and Goldrim. Add in an Elreon ring and you're golden.

Choose Freezing Pulse as Hillock reward. This will be your single target skill until you get Flameblast.

Pick Ice Nova from Mercy Mission. You will be using Ice Nova linked to Added Lightning as your AoE skill until lvl 31.

At Brutus, grab Flameblast and buy a Clarity gem. Running Flameblast + Ice Nova + Added Lightning in your Lifesprig, you're set for AoE and Single Target DPS.

Get an Arc gem and start levelling it.

At level 31, buy Faster Casting and Spell Echo, link them to Flameblast in Lifesprig and get rid of your Ice Nova.

Skill Tree at this point (Path of Life Nodes)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMEBwceB6UI9A5ID6sRlha_JpUsnC0fNj06WElRSbJMs1VLVcZXK13yYeJirGpDaxdsjG0ZbWx_xoIQg9uMNpUglS6dqqKjvOq9gsBUwfPfit-w44TpAvDV_rM=

Start levelling up Grace, Hatred, Herald of Ice, Herald of Ash, and 2x Reduced Mana gems. Also start levelling Purity of Fire/Ice/Lightning gems, they will be nice to have in the future since the build is very flexible in gem/aura slots, and can adapt to all kinds of situations.

You may struggle with enough Strength, just grab the +30 STR nodes in the tree until you get STR on gear later on.

This setup will last you to Merciless Fellshrine. Get level 57-59, then get a wand with +2 lightning gems, some combination of spell damage and cast speed. Link Arc to Spell Echo and Faster Casting. With this setup you should now have roughly 2-3k Arc DPS. This is enough to solo progress A2, and the grind out City of Sarn until lvl 62.

Buy some random gear pieces with 70+hp and resists. Get your resists maxed without Goldrim, and make sure you have 3k hp+.

At level 62, you can start running easy 66 maps solo with Arc.

Skill Tree after a few maps (grab Aura nodes, then Mana Nodes, as soon as you have enough mana you can run Grace+Clarity+Herald of Ice and lvl 10-ish AA)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMEBwW1Bx4HpQj0DkgPqxGWFr8ZihqPIuoj9iaVLJwtHzB8Nj06WElRSbJMs02SUUdTNVVLVcZXK13yXyph4mKsakNrF2yMbRltbH8rf8aCEIIeg9uMNo19jb-VIJUum7WdqqKjvOq9gsBUwfPLvdaK2wvfit-w44TmgejW6QLr5PDV9tr7Cf6z

You'll be playing as an Arcer until level 75-78, at which time you are ready to respec a few points into becoming a Wander.

Levelling up as Arc, your Skill Tree should end up looking like this:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMEBwVCBbUHHgelCPQOSA-rEZYWvxmKGo8i6iP2JP0mlSycLR8wfDIBNj06WEGWSVFJskp9TLNNklFHUzVVS1XGVvpXK13yXyph4mKsZ6BqQ2yMbRltbHBScNV3138rf8aCEIIeg9uHdonTjDaNfY2_lSCVLpsmm7WdqqKjrrOyGbzqvYLAVMHzy73PetD11orbC9-K37DjhOaB51To1ukC6-Tw1fba-wn8xf6z_94=

Why level as Arc? Crit Arc is very viable, and the build takes the same route as the final Wander build.

Respeccing to Wander
Spoiler

You will need no regrets to do the full respec. You should be able to cover it by doing all the respec quests available, it's between 12-18 respec points.

Once you get close to 78, start preparing your gear. Scour poe.xyz.is/poe.trade for the pieces you need. Keep your eyes out for anything with:

-Life
-Resists
-Flat Phys
-Crit Chance
-Crit Multi
-Attack Speed
-Accuracy (!)

Do you math. Make sure you know that the pieces you're buying will cover your resists (135% total in each). Try to fit in as much phys/accu/atk speed as possible, but don't ever let it come at the cost of your HP/RES if you're playing in HC.

I would only suggest respeccing to Wander once you have a full gear set to swap into, otherwise it will feel very underwhelming. An effective Wander is made out of a lot of small pieces working together, and it needs to come from all pieces of your gear. There are 4 essential gear slots to make this version of Wander work:

Helmet: Rat's Nest (70+% crit chance)

Armour: Hybrid EV/ES with 400+EV and 400+ES (or any high ES armour, this is your main source of mana)

Shield: 1700+ Evasion (this allows us to drop Grace, and still get nearly complete immunity to all attack projectiles all the way to 78 maps)

Weapon: 150+ pdps 10%+ crit Wand

For lvl 16 AA you need one gear piece with 40% mana regen.

For lvl 20+ AA you need 90%+ mana regen on gear, or high ES boots/gloves.

Try to get high hp and at least one resist on the shield and armour, otherwise it will be hard to cover resists with your remaining gear slots.

When you start Wanding, I like using the following support gem set up:

Hatred - Herald of Ice - Herald of Ash - Clarity - Reduced Mana - (add Herald of Thunder end game)
You can drop Herald of Ash for a Purity aura if you are struggling with covering your resists. Don't drop Herald of Ice, it's helping you freeze mobs.

CwDT - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration
Easy way of becoming pretty much immune to your own physical reflect damage. Required once your GMP damage goes above 6-7k.

Scroll down for example gear sets that I've used.

Around level 78 you should have enough skill points to respec into a tree like this:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBBAcFtQceCPQJoA5ID6sRlhSwFr8ZihqPIuoj9iT9JpUtHzB8MgE2PTpYSVFKfUyzTZJQMFFHUzVVS1XGVvpXK1m8XfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egakNrF2yMbOdtGW1scFJw1XNwd9d_K3_Ggh6D24d2idOMNo19jb-VIJUummGbJpu1naqfiKKjshm86r2CwFTB88JzxSjLvc5wz3rWitsL34rjhOaB51To1ukC6-Tw1fZb9tr25_sJ_MX-s__e

A few levels later, respec into the following:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAx4EBwW1BiMHHgj0CaAOSBGWFLAWvxmKGo8fQSLqI_Yk_SaVKgstHzB8MgE2PTpYP3NJUUp9TLNNklAwUUdVS1XGVvpXK1m8XfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egakNrF2yMbOdtGW1scFJw1XNwd9d_K3_Ggh6D24d2idOMNo19jb-VIJUummGbJpu1naqfiKKjshm1SLzqvYLAVMHzwnPFKMu9znDPetaK2wvfiuaB51TndOjW6QLr5PDV8-r2W_ba9uf7CfzF_rP_3g==

Scroll down further in the guide to find the final end game builds.

THE STATS

Offense:
Spoiler

AoE (Power Siphon - Phys Proj Damage - GMP - Chain - Inc Crit Damage [ - Weapon Elemental Damage])Screenshot is of a 5L setup, with a 6L the DPS would skyrocket.

Single Target: Power Siphon - WED - Phys Proj - Inc Crit Damage I'm running WED because it pushes your cold damage to the point where you can perma freeze most bosses with Assassin's Mark.

Defense:
Spoiler

THE GEAR(Yes, it says Standard League. I ripped to a disconnect)
Spoiler

THE GEAR take two (levelling up after RIP, currently 91)
Some gem setups are different, and I would recommend following this version, and possibly swapping out Herald of Ash for Herald of Thunder
Spoiler

THE DETAILS
Spoiler

Auras: Hatred, Herald of Ice, Herald of Ash, Herald of Thunder, Clarity
(drop one of the Heralds if you're running the MoM version, or have troubles sustaining mana. I have ~160 mana unreserved after running all auras/self-buffs at level 91)
Bandits: Oak, Oak, Alira

Skill Tree at 89:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAx4EBwW1BiMHHgj0CaAOSBGWFLAWvxmKGo8fQSLqI_Yk_SaVKgstHzB8MgE2PTpYP3NJUUp9TLNNklAwUUdVS1XGVvpXK1m8XfJfKmHiYetirGNDZ6BqQ2sXbIxs520ZbWxwUnDVc3B313pTfyt_xoIeg9uHdonTjAuMNo19jb-VIJUummGbJpu1naqfiKKjshm1SLl8vOq9gsBUwcXB88JzxSjLvc5wz3rWitsL34rmgedU53To1ukC6-TssPDV8-r2W_ba9uf67_sJ_GT8xf6z_94=

Skill Tree at Level 91, where the magic happens (Re-speccing a few points into MoM, only do this if your gear supports it - this should push your effective health pool towards 6k):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAx4EBwW1BiMHHgj0CaAOSBGWFHUUsBa_GNsZihqPH0Ei6iP2JP0mlSoLLR8wfDIBNj0_c0lRSn1Ms02SUDBRR1VLVcZW-lcrWbxd8l8qYeJh62KsY0NnoGpDaxdsjGznbRltbHBScLtw1XNwdPF3138rf8aCHoPbhTKHdonTjAuMNo19jb-VIJUummGbJpu1naqfiKKjshm1SLl8vOq9gsBUwcXB88JzxSjLvc5wz3rWitsL34rmgedU53To1ukC6-TsGOyw8NXz6vZb9tr25_sJ_MX-s__e

End Game Skill Trees

Skill Tree at level 97 MoM Version:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAx4EBwW1BiMHHgj0CaAOSBGWFHUUsBa_GNsZihqPH0Ei6iP2JP0mlSoLLR8wfDIBNj06WD9zSVFKfUqaTLNNklAwUUdVS1XGVvpXK1m8XfJfKmHiYetirGNDZ6BqQ2sXbIxs520ZbWxwUnC7cNVzcHTxd9d6U38rf8aCHoPbhTKHdonTjAuMNo19jb-VIJUummGbJpu1naqfiKIEoqOyGbVIuXy86r2CwFTBxcHzwnPFKMu9znDPetaK2wvfiuaB51TndOjW6QLr5OwY7LDw1fPq9lv22vbn-u_7Cfxk_MX-s__e

Skill Tree at level 97 DPS Version (can run Herald of Thunder in addition to other auras/buffs):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAx4EBwW1BiMHHgj0CaAOSA_EEZYUsBa_GYoajx9BIuoj9iT9JpUqCy0fMHwyATY9Olg7fD9zSVFKfUqaTLNNklAwUUdVS1XGVvpXK1m8XfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egakNrF2yMbOdtGW1scFJw1XNwd9d_K3_Ggh6D24d2idOMC4w2jX2Nv5UglS6aYZsmm7Wdqp-IogSio7CSshm1SLjKuXy86r2Cvu7AVMHFwfPCc8Uox8rJRMu9znDPetaK2wvfiuaB51TndOjW6QLr5Oyw8NXz6vZb9tr25_rv-wn8ZPzF_rP_k__e

It's possible to go CI late game as wander, but it requires a completely different tree, and Crown of Eyes + ES/spell damage shield. You'd run either 2x Heralds + Discipline, or Hatred + Discipline. As it is, I much prefer being able to run high level AA + the new life potions, it feels like it gives you a lot more control over your survivability than the increased CI life pool does. This is the tree I'd recommend for CI:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QJLrhsl2VttGRFQNbmnKx1PLR_FKEyzlSD2W1AwaxfB81m8216CHqKjFLB_xg_EmmHBxRzcEZY7fMJzx8r67yy_kycOSAceuMpzcMlE_GSGrrQMY0Nd8pUun4i-7kqaFdfqukZx8uG293DV8NX25z9zogRWYw18gwlHBisKidNJUc5wbOdvntvnES9wUgmgnKTKSl9qKguHE1FM8-p3B6xHtUh9W21sBiMqTed0Nj0fQT8n2xqdquywAx5KyBB7bIyMCxa_bqq-Orl8tfKpbngNKjhYrzboOlIOPJ_L

FAQ
Spoiler

How does the build handle phys reflect aura?
Arctic Armour and CwDT + Immortal Call. As long as you don't forget to activate AA, and your GMP damage is <25k, you should be absolutely fine. The build doesn't really care about reflect packs.

How does the build handle physical reflect map mod?
It does, and it doesn't. While the build has no problems running this mod thanks to AA and CwDT + Immortal Call, you will still be taking more damage than during a regular map run. While it's not dangerous in itself, it can make otherwise sketchy situations a lot worse.

How does the build handle elemental reflect map mod?
While it's not usually a problem, if you struggle, just turn off Hatred. Swap it for Grace.

How does the build handle double, triple, and quadruple reflect?
Not had a problem so far, but who knows. Just be alert at all times.

What map bosses / mods can I run?
I skip no regen and blood magic. You can run half regen by simply slotting in a lower level Arctic Armour.

If the map is easy, you can run no regen with as little 1% mana leech on your gear after turning off AA. You'll be firing a few "blank shots" now and then, but these will instantly fill up your mana and allow you to keep going.

Since it's HC, I generally don't run monster damage mods on 77/78 maps, or while levelling, and what curses you want to/can run is up to yourself, I would skip Vulnerability in Beyond.

I've soloed double boss Piety in Shrine, and the Courtyard trio. I've killed all Beyond unique bosses except Abaxoth and Na'em (the phys one, his spears wreck us in 75+ maps, I suggest alt-f4 if he spawns in 77+ maps, since we have no way of avoiding his spears).

I haven't tried Palace Dominus or Megaera (and wouldn't), and have to be careful on Residence Dominus. Other than that, you can eventually run most bosses just fine. Personally, I don't think Orchard, Villa, Museum, Jungle Valley, Torture Chamber, Labyrinth or Necropolis bosses are worth the trouble, but they are doable. It really depends on your DPS, if you get it high enough, nothing will be a problem. Don't fight chaos damage bosses without chaos resists.

This build is not particularly tanky. When it gets hit, it gets hit hard. While it can survive one or a few hits from dangerous bosses, I suggest fighting them intelligently. We rely on agility and crowd control by freezing, and, of course, killing stuff as fast as possible.

Early in a league I prefer to chicken out of any boss fight I don't feel ready for, and just grind out more maps, but at this stage I don't much care and run most bosses even if they can be risky. For most of them it's more about knowing their mechanics, eg. not face tanking Shrine Piety's ice arrows or Lightning Storm, and then doing your best.

I'm scared of Magnus and Igna
Drop Herald of Ash and run Purity of Fire. Drop a quicksilver/health potion and run a Ruby. Use your agility to dodge them, I froze and two shot Igna while soloing a 75 map.

What masters should I focus on?
Haku and Elreon are always best early in the league, to help you craft additional resistances and life on jewellery and armour. Zana is great help in sustaining a map pool early on.

Just take care on Haku, his missions can be deadly.

The other masters are nice to have, but no musts. I personally like Tora for the belt mods, and Vorici for free exile loot + cheap Fusings.

I never really focused on the masters, since there will always be someone else who gets them to lv8 before you, and you can just pay them a little to use their services.

What's the build's weakness?
Anything that has the potential of one shotting you. The build doesn't have MoM (and 6K+ effective hp) until level 91 with the right gear. Before that it relies on freezing everything and being extremely agile. I've had no problems running 78 maps solo, and have soloed the Courtyard boss room (though I can't say I'd recommend attempting that until your gear is very good).

We also hate Evangelists. Kite and freeze. Kite and freeze. We really utilize our movement speed here to dodge their phys spell, as we have no other way of mitigating it. If you're soloing a 77+ map with stacked damage mods and get evangelists, you may want to consider calling in friends.

Can I start as Shadow?
No, you really need the mana regen & mana/es nodes at the beginning of the Witch tree.

Videos
These videos were recorded right after I ripped to a disconnect, after a total of 3 days playtime on the character. As such, the character and gear are obviously work in progress.

Precinct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPokgb9tuGc (sorry for getting easiest mobs possible)
Quick video of EZ Underground River: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrygwEQUtrA
Skill Tree Run Through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qWwWjPLLS0
Gear Run Through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1eF_AfeAo
Gem Set Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ITogmT_dI

Best of luck on your wanding adventures!
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Dec 12, 2014, 5:46:39 PM
someone pls copy this build and make a video! i really interested to see this in action :D

also how do you sustain MoM how much unreserved mana do you have atm with all the auras?
ign: ALLRAUDER
MoM does not become relevant until you hit level 91, by which time you should hopefully be able to afford some expensive gear pieces. If you look at the level 91 tree, it's picking up the additional 4% reduced mana reserved, in addition to the MoM node. Depending on how good your gear is, aiming for a 500+ es chest, and an additional 200+ es on other pieces of gear, you will achieve a pool of 3000+ mana, leaving you with between 600-1000 mana unreserved. At this stage, the build isn't really budget anymore, but I promise you that by the time you hit 91 you'll have currency to spend :).

One alternative is to drop the hybrid EV/ES chest and go for a high ES/HP Vaal Regalia, if you can't achieve a high enough mana pool with a hybrid piece.

Until you're able to achieve this, I would not recommend picking up MoM. I should further clarify this in the guide!
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Oct 8, 2014, 12:14:46 PM
"Why no CwDT Immortal Call?
Call me weird, but in a tough spot I'd rather have 3 Endurance Charges up (12% phys mitigation) than half a second of phys immunity."

Except even at level 1 cwdt, it's 1.75 sec. Neat otherwise.
Do you sell the wand in standard? :D
Armor is a beast
Wand is a beast
Boots as well

Shield and Gloves are really good

Jewellery could be upgraded, but still it's expensive

I'm at 37k Chain... 26k with ll gem instead of WED but as low life and don't feel immortal at all :D
But missing evasion and emergency flasks + freeze ^^
Posted a few quick videos. Recording a Precinct if my internet holds up.
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Precinct video up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPokgb9tuGc
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
sweet another build that makes me use freeze pulse/flameblast/arc until merciless

boy i cant wait
Believe me, I really hate it too. I thought master crafting would help alleviate it, by allowing us to craft low level progression weapons, but no, that's not quite how it works :(. Wander needs all the crit it can get from the tree before it turns faceroll, unfortunately.

That said, you can level as pretty much anything you want. The benefit spells offer is free damage without gear.
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Oct 8, 2014, 7:52:52 PM
How do you feel about using a cloak of defiance for the MoM, regen, flat mana? This would save you some skill points pathing to the keystone.
Order of the Raven | Guild Leader | IGN:HoneySiphon | GMT -5

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/813491/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info