New weapon skins a bit...Blizz-like?

Some of the new weapon skins are a bit...ENORMOUS. I guess GGG is pitching to the kiddies who say, "My e-peen is bigger than yours! NA na na naaa na...!"

Sorry, but lugging around a sword or mace that's bigger than my body and would take 3 men to lift just looks so dumb. Yeah it's a fantasy game but maybe GGG has been playing WoW and D3 too long? Not JMO, several guildies have commented likewise.

I had hopes for the Adder's Claw but might as well be carrying a suitcase with a too-long handle; and it's supposed to be a claw, not a blade for harvesting wheat. And that Devourer Maul is seriously ridiculous - a giant ugly head on a toothpick. OMFG.

On a positive note, the shield and bows are OK, and the art design & effects are generally good. But please guys, do something about those swords and mauls. [rolleyes]

YMMV, etc....
Last edited by Arthikas on Oct 3, 2014, 5:52:53 PM
I've noticed that too :)
Dont like ridiculously oversised weapons, thats so anime...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
+1 A lot of shop items give the impression they've been made by completely different designers. All the wings, feathers, oversophisticated shoulderpads and now huge weapons make me cringe. I mean, look, the Eternal Empire gives that Roman vibe, and we have nothing resembling that in the shop. There're Karui, Ezomyte, Vaal, Oriath (somebody drew this once, was it really the same person in charge of shop items?) styles to explore and expand upon. But instead of what would've fit we get a lot of random "THAT WOULD LOOK SO COOL!" stuff (COOL!, of course, being a very subjective thing - I find no armor pieces in the shop that would fit my marauder, fortunately there're some uniques and even plain pieces to choose from and that I actually like quite a lot).
Last edited by Primislas on Oct 3, 2014, 9:11:27 PM
I like how people think that this game is supposed to be realistic and rustic, take off your rose colored glasses, it was never like that. Also "omg theyre adding wings and big weapons to please asians", talk about racist. It has absolutely nothing to do with that.

GGG makes their design choices on what would be aesthetically pleasing and they do a good job at it. Alot of people enjoy the armor sets, alot of people have bought packs because of it, alot of people are purchasing the new weapon MTX, i see nearly everyone i come across sporting them and they just came out.

These threads complaining about the new MTX are pretty annoying.

You arent even criticizing the design, youre just bitching about it.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Primislas wrote:
+1 A lot of shop items give the impression they've been made by completely different designers. All the wings, feathers, oversophisticated shoulderpads and now huge weapons make me cringe. I mean, look, the Eternal Empire gives that Roman vibe, and we have nothing resembling that in the shop. There're Karui, Ezomyte, Vaal, Oriath (somebody drew this once, was it really the same person in charge of shop items?) styles to explore and expand upon. But instead of what would've fit we get a lot of random "THAT WOULD LOOK SO COOL!" stuff (COOL!, of course, being a very subjective thing - I find no armor pieces in the shop that would fit my marauder, fortunately there're some uniques and even plain pieces to choose from and that I actually like quite a lot).

I agree with you, especially the underlined part.

"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
I like how people think that this game is supposed to be realistic and rustic, take off your rose colored glasses, it was never like that. Also "omg theyre adding wings and big weapons to please asians", talk about racist. It has absolutely nothing to do with that.

GGG makes their design choices on what would be aesthetically pleasing and they do a good job at it. Alot of people enjoy the armor sets, alot of people have bought packs because of it, alot of people are purchasing the new weapon MTX, i see nearly everyone i come across sporting them and they just came out.

You are wrong.

Firstly, here are few quotes from GGG's vision about Path of Exile:

"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast"

"Wraeclast is a dark, brutal continent. Scarred by mysterious catastrophes of the past and inhabited by creatures of nightmare, the very environment challenges exiles who dare explore it"

"We're sick of the recent trend towards bright, cartoony RPGs. The art style we chose for Path of Exile is dark, gritty and realistic. Wraeclast is terrifying, and we've tried hard to do it justice"

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/game

Fancy wings or oversized weapons DON'T fit in the game well and break the game immersion.

Edit:
Probably the biggest mistake was when they added "Seraph Wings" and "Tentacle wings". I know that it was made to generate profit in order to run the game, but probably they should have made a more thought-out decision and created something else. Those wings are out of the game's vision, a careless choice.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Oct 3, 2014, 10:18:50 PM
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

That's fine and well. Can I bitch about almost all shop items being that and narrow choice of options for the rustic crowd? :) For the record, I like Arcane and Verdant (bar the helm) sets, but for my heavy main character I'd like to find something resembling the master's armour in the shop, separate from 200$ pack. Alas, it's wings, skulls, wings again, wings on helms, exaggerated shoulder and helm decorations... I guess I'll stick to Lightbane Raiment skin, it looks great on a marauder.

On a sidenote, now I feel like making a suggestion thread to add pants as a shop effect for templars and marauders. Or at least a better kilt for the latter. Mnyes, yeeeeees. *Keeps mumbling*
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
GGG makes their design choices on what would be aesthetically pleasing and they do a good job at it.

wrong instead of skinns for uniqe items we get expensive ugly looking microtransaction
I'm a savage, I'm a king
I fought deceivers
I conquered evil
"
StormHunter wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
GGG makes their design choices on what would be aesthetically pleasing and they do a good job at it.

wrong instead of skinns for uniqe items we get expensive ugly looking microtransaction
I dont think you have any idea how large the art work back list is for unique items.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Primislas wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

That's fine and well. Can I bitch about almost all shop items being that and narrow choice of options for the rustic crowd? :) For the record, I like Arcane and Verdant (bar the helm) sets, but for my heavy main character I'd like to find something resembling the master's armour in the shop, separate from 200$ pack. Alas, it's wings, skulls, wings again, wings on helms, exaggerated shoulder and helm decorations... I guess I'll stick to Lightbane Raiment skin, it looks great on a marauder.

On a sidenote, now I feel like making a suggestion thread to add pants as a shop effect for templars and marauders. Or at least a better kilt for the latter. Mnyes, yeeeeees. *Keeps mumbling*
No.

Instead of complaining about how there isnt anything "rustic" (which there is rustic type MTX already in there), you should suggest what type of armor would be something nice to add.

Complaining wont get things anywhere, posting constructive criticism does. Theres a big difference between saying something looks like garbage and giving constructive feedback (like saying "I think this would look better this way, or heres an example drawing, i think that something like this would really fit").

"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
Primislas wrote:

I agree with you, especially the underlined part.

"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

You are wrong.

Firstly, here are few quotes from GGG's vision about Path of Exile:

"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast"

"Wraeclast is a dark, brutal continent. Scarred by mysterious catastrophes of the past and inhabited by creatures of nightmare, the very environment challenges exiles who dare explore it"

"We're sick of the recent trend towards bright, cartoony RPGs. The art style we chose for Path of Exile is dark, gritty and realistic. Wraeclast is terrifying, and we've tried hard to do it justice"

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/game

Fancy wings or oversized weapons DON'T fit in the game well and break the game immersion.

Edit:
Probably the biggest mistake was when they added "Seraph Wings" and "Tentacle wings". I know that it was made to generate profit in order to run the game, but probably they should have made a more thought-out decision and created something else. Those wings are out of the game's vision, a careless choice.
Fancy Wings or Oversized Weapons are unrealistic and break the game immersion? You might want to take out a history book and look at some of the things that people wore into combat, as well as some of the weapons they used.

Off the top of my head Pier Gerlof Donia used a sword that measured 7ft in length and could literally cut through multiple humans in a single swipe. Hell, even an average size great sword is extremely large. In fact thats probably what they used to base the MTX 2H scaling off of.

Edit - Uhh about the tentacle wings, theres plenty of mutated mobs and even npcs that suffered from pietys experimentation, soo no, not really, it makes plenty of sense for it to be in the game.

Also i forgot to mention when theyre referring to realism theyre referring to a more realistic art style, not necessarily the actual items, environments, etc. Its the difference between POE and Grim Dawn vs things like Torchlight and Diablo.

Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Oct 4, 2014, 12:22:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info