Why in The Hell?

What does the 'unkillable' have to do with it? If they were killable and you disconnected before you killed them, you would still die. Unless you build a character that can kill stuff while you are afk.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
What does the 'unkillable' have to do with it? If they were killable and you disconnected before you killed them, you would still die. Unless you build a character that can kill stuff while you are afk.

because if they were killable, they would not have been still alive, while i walked through the middle of the room, they would have been dead already.

Hell they wouldnt even have to be killable, but less damage and less totems would be better. There is no reason freaking unkillable totems should be able to kill someone far over leveled, with decent life pool and resists in less than 5 seconds, or whatever it is to get booted.

If i had been lower leveled and or worried about the totems, i would have just leeched the quest, but i shouldn't have to do that just because of bad game design.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
Meh, it's happened to me before - only thing you can do is make new. QQ threads about deaths won't make a character come back.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
There is literally no blame for GGG when you die because you have a shitty connection. Fix your connection instead of trying to blame others.

PS: use a cable perhaps.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that code could have detected that there was 100% non-communication from MasterAxe's client for X amount of time or Y amount of communication attempts and taken proactive measures to protect MasterAxe's character from illegitimately dying or retroactively rolled back the death because there was clearly 100% non-communication from the client from some point before death through death. Also, even an amazing internet connection can still hiccup or have a dependency somewhere else geographically that can cause a hiccup, and you can be fucked for it in PoE.

Seriously, the Hardcore Leagues are nearly a joke and should only be viewed as alternative leagues to start your characters in, and you should plan on being in Softcore Leagues in the long-run. Imo, a part of PoE is being illegitimately killed. If you play long enough, it will happen.

So, embrace SC, don't give a fuck about level 85+, and don't give a fuck about dying because if the game doesn't kill you with pass/fail mechanics and/or desync, it will kill you with connection issues.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Sep 28, 2014, 2:08:53 PM
"
wlfbck wrote:
Easy solution: Don't play shitcore.

love the forum mods i get an instant 24h probation for mentioning the word zimbaweleague with a nice yellow email in my inbox and this stays for hours couldnt care less just shows how selective the mods work in this forum
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
"
Perfect_Black wrote:
"
There is literally no blame for GGG when you die because you have a shitty connection. Fix your connection instead of trying to blame others.

PS: use a cable perhaps.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that code could have detected that there was 100% non-communication from MasterAxe's client for X amount of time or Y amount of communication attempts and taken proactive measures to protect MasterAxe's character from illegitimately dying or retroactively rolled back the death because there was clearly 100% non-communication from the client from some point before death through death.

how exactly do you see this ?
do you understand how TCP network protocol works ?

the server does protect the character by logging him/her out after reaching the response timeout value

there is nothing it can do besides that.

here's how basic communication works:

server *sees that client hasnt sent any packets in delta*
server *ping*
client *silence*
server (after short delay) *ping*
client *silence*

^^^repeat this until response timeout is reached
this is in simplified terms as to not get too technical into keepalive

there is no way for server to detect a disconnect proactively. a server cannot detect the time period in which the client disconnected exactly and it actually has no means of knowing when exactly during the 'ping' you disconnected. it cannot assume that if it didn't receive a response to ping x seconds ago you were *actually* disconnected x seconds ago.

and as the server is in real time it won't 'protect' your character because if it was simply a dropped packet by wireless connection and your connection is indeed alive...guess what happened...you just gained immortality by mistake !

detecting client disconnect is quite important in network world, and its not a trivial thing by any means.

but what youre proposing is quite silly. no other games or software use that kind of approach. the best they can do is do crazy frequent polling every x interval. but that just slows network down. and in case of PoE which is TCP and not UDP based, its not worth it
Last edited by grepman on Sep 29, 2014, 2:02:36 AM
Issue is that this timeout delay seems to be substantial. Like several seconds. And with know avg response time (server knows that value ofc) it should be 'safe than sorry' and disconnect aftrr 4-5times that value. It is simple statistic.

I remember kripp dying to one fire archer after DC. It was more than 10 seconds and this is absurd value.
heres a quick example why 'protecting' doesnt work

lets say timeout now is 5 secs

and a poll each second (generous- its likely more than that but whatever)

second 1...no response. server turns on immortality for you. meanwhile your game client is running, youre killing shit at least on your client
second 2...no response. still immortal
second 3...no response.still immortal
second 4...response !

you just gained 3 seconds of immortality from thin air

even worse lets say Im a really good hacker. I can program advanced program that blocks packets, in laymen terms, firewall. for sake of simplicity, lets assume I can figure out how 'ping' packets look and find a pattern by which I can filter them out. then I program such a firewall that will drop packets that look like 'ping' once every 4 seconds. its not easy to do at all, but it can be done with the right person and right amount of information
the game might not be playable with such setup, but then because it uses predictive patterns, it just might be. this means my character will be immortal 3 to 4 out of 5 seconds

and it should be clear why there should be no retroactive rollback because I just explained its impossible to detect whether or not you were *actually* disconnected during a timeout period.
"
sidtherat wrote:
Issue is that this timeout delay seems to be substantial. Like several seconds. And with know avg response time (server knows that value ofc) it should be 'safe than sorry' and disconnect aftrr 4-5times that value. It is simple statistic.

I remember kripp dying to one fire archer after DC. It was more than 10 seconds and this is absurd value.

poe has a peculiar thing in that specific case of fire archer, kripp explained that iirc

when you first zone, you have a much longer disconnect timer (like 15 secs). so if you just zoned and are immediately D/Ced by your ISP, youre shit out of luck....

with that said, I remember D3 had a much longer disconnect timer than poe. by default its something ridiculous, like 50 or 60 secs I believe ?
Any protection system can be misused. True.

But setting the timeout to 4x avg response time and loging out (no fake invulnerability!!) Might be enough.

If 4x is too short make it a cmd param people can set themselves. Done. Move on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info