If they made a "no experience loss" option, I think a ton of players would take it

You NEED to be losing something if you die. Else we'll see fullyolo I r DPS-LOL characters all around. Offense/defense balance is what makes this game good - if you can't defend yourself from dying, getting high DPS won't get you anywhere.

I'm not sure if losing fixed 10% xp is a great idea, but it works for now. It could be changed a little, added something like "if you die, you will be gaining 50% less xp for the next 10-15%, or something" or any other option rather than just taking you exp. But no penalty for dying means a dead, boring, stupid league.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I'm tired of waving this particular flag, but what the hell. Other games have already done the death penalty better. See Dark Souls, see D3 post shrine of reflection. Toss a coin and pick one; either is exponentially better than status quo.
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
Last edited by KuteKitteh on Sep 26, 2014, 1:55:54 AM
While playing in a party you should lose an adittional 10%exp for any party member
I'm a savage, I'm a king
I fought deceivers
I conquered evil
"
aleksandor wrote:
As the topic says, if they offered a third league where you never lost experience for dying, I think a ton of POE players would take it.

And I'm not talking some ghetto "Oh, we'll give them no XP loss players crap drop rates so they can't get items" league, I mean an honest to go league with equal drop rates where the only difference is not losing XP.

It doesn't make the game harder, it just increases the grind, which a good number of players really don't give a crap about. Losing XP just encourages Grinding to overlevel and boring gameplay instead of taking risks jumping into maps.

So leave an XP loss league for all the Uber hardcore players, and make a no XP loss league: best of both worlds.

Characters
BumpyKnuckless
Level 74 Marauder
Standard League

are you kidding me/us, you havent even come to the levels where dying actually hurts.
"Path of nurfs" - LVL 100 + LVL 100 + LVL 100 ENDGAME REAVER
"1.3.0 Path of nurfs 3. expansion"
Shops: 1031762,774343,883462,371756,1091096,1099789,1260674
Reaver Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/velo1337/videos
Today I LearneD:

Softcore (aka god mode immortality league) is actually too hard for some people. o_O
Hardcore
"
danisonxtc wrote:
"
aleksandor wrote:
As the topic says, if they offered a third league where you never lost experience for dying, I think a ton of POE players would take it.

And I'm not talking some ghetto "Oh, we'll give them no XP loss players crap drop rates so they can't get items" league, I mean an honest to go league with equal drop rates where the only difference is not losing XP.

It doesn't make the game harder, it just increases the grind, which a good number of players really don't give a crap about. Losing XP just encourages Grinding to overlevel and boring gameplay instead of taking risks jumping into maps.

So leave an XP loss league for all the Uber hardcore players, and make a no XP loss league: best of both worlds.

Characters
BumpyKnuckless
Level 74 Marauder
Standard League

are you kidding me/us, you havent even come to the levels where dying actually hurts.

It hurts a lot when you die again before getting the 10% back all the time. lol
"

Mm.

The worst thing a Dev can do, much like a loving but responsible parent, is give the children players what they want without considering the larger implications.

And while GGG fuck up from time to time, I don't think they're guilty of the above.

I fucking hate the penalty as it forces artificial play such as leveling before trying tough areas. We also lack some means of getting lost xp back via corpse retrieval or the like.

That all said, simply removing the penalty is cheap and uninteresting.

I don't advocate for removing the penalty, and it's a good analogy. However, a key difference is that a parent will continue to be the child's parent regardless of parenting style, except in extremis. Parenting is the long con.

By contrast, game players can leave their proverbial family on a whim (as we do). Subject to the developer's, and their owners', aims, I think the "parenting style" of a game developer should veer a little more towards appeasement.

P.
"
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I think the "parenting style" of a game developer should veer a little more towards appeasement.

P.

Loot options? Floating life bars? Reduced death penalty? THE FACT THAT SHAVRONNE'S WRAPPINGS STILL EXISTS?

Oh, yeah.

Doubling midtier-rare unique drops, increasing boss drop rates, increasing map drop rates, decreasing damage on piety's lightning balls, THE FACT MASTER CRAFTING IS TOO FUCKING CHEAP EVEN FOR SELF FOUND?

Oh, yeah.
"
He said a little.

Lol, ya.

I am still here even after quitting, and this still bugs the hell out of me.

I feel like that kid that goes to grandmas and all she has is the sugar free candies, which you don't want and don't like, but you can't stop eating them...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info