[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Reave looks like having a good area after some hits. :)

On the other hand, it works with some weapons only -no axes- and doesn't have any damage multiplier (nothing written about it on wiki)?

Alternatives are always welcome !!!

Yeah this helmet is a pain for the chance players :/
Edit: even if this unique replaces a rare, it doesn't looks to me too much useful
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Last edited by kahoraho on Aug 21, 2013, 7:17:18 PM
"
kahoraho wrote:
Reave looks like having a good area after some hits. :)

On the other hand, it works with some weapons only -no axes- and doesn't have any damage multiplier (nothing written about it on wiki)?

Alternatives are always welcome !!!

Yes, the area is not bad - I'll stick with it for a little while as an experiment and level it up some more.

No wiki page last time I checked, probably too new since it's only been available for one day.

I might even try crafting a claw or something but might be hard to even get much better than that junky claw I showed in the prior post. Crafting is so random. :)

The int requirement seems very, very reasonable so far on Reave.
Hello again ;)

So I've decided not to reroll my marauder as it's specced to much in other directions and it would take alot of currency to fix it, so huzzah for leveling another char \o/ !

First, what exactly is the difference between going marauder vs. templar for this spec? If there isn't really one, I'm thinking I would like the look of the marauder in Bringer of Rain the most (lol cosmectic). He is also more of a bulky melee tanky type to me, which is what I like about this build.
If I can go marauder would the start of my tree look somewhat like this?
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBGS4aMiECJ-0q9jAZUWBXDVnzZp5wPnKpe4x82YBWoLSplayqwBrZYeRR5677qg==

How is this for a lvl 80 build?

If possible, could someone tell me if it's even the slightest bit off as I'd like to try and have the most optimal tree.
What I'm mostly wondering is if there's any complications tree / passivewise starting from the marauder point vs. templar. I'm new to this game, so I'm just thinking if I get the first part down and get on the "main path" I can just sort of copy your build.

I'm also wondering about the best gear for this build. Someone posted a Soul Taker a few comments earlier and is that the best possbile axe? The passive looks great, because it allows us to use w/e attack gem we want, or have I got it completely wrong?
Any examples of great / best in slot gear would be cool. Just a loose description.

The aura mechanic is new to me and I haven't quite figured out how they work. If you have an aura that reserves 40%, I'm guessing it takes 40% from your total and leaves you with 60% mana to use. Now, when you use another 40% reserver aura, does it take 40% from the remanining 60% or from the original 100% mana? If the latter is the case, I would basically need a pretty leveled reduce mana gem to run 3 auras on my mana, right?

Last, (for now lol) attack skills! I like having an aoe attack to clear packs and then a single target for bosses, tougher mobs. Is this possible or would it be dumb to try and rock like this, losing an aura and all? I guess heavy strike is quite good for single, but what aoe skill is recommended if any? I'm just thinking only running heavy strike will make pack / map clears a bit long or is it really not that bad?

Sorry for the wall of text, I've tried spacing it and making it easier on the eyes, but I guess it still crits and makes eyes bleed :x
I've only played poe for like 6-7 days, so any help / input is greatly appreciated as I'm still a tad lost in the endless build possibilities.
THANK YOU!
Last edited by Loje on Aug 21, 2013, 11:14:28 PM
"
Loje wrote:
Hello again ;)

So I've decided not to reroll my marauder as it's specced to much in other directions and it would take alot of currency to fix it, so huzzah for leveling another char \o/ !

First, what exactly is the difference between going marauder vs. templar for this spec? If there isn't really one, I'm thinking I would like the look of the marauder in Bringer of Rain the most (lol cosmectic). He is also more of a bulky melee tanky type to me, which is what I like about this build.
If I can go marauder would the start of my tree look somewhat like this?
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBGS4aMiECJ-0q9jAZUWBXDVnzZp5wPnKpe4x82YBWoLSplayqwBrZYeRR5677qg==

How is this for a lvl 80 build?

If possible, could someone tell me if it's even the slightest bit off as I'd like to try and have the most optimal tree.
What I'm mostly wondering is if there's any complications tree / passivewise starting from the marauder point vs. templar. I'm new to this game, so I'm just thinking if I get the first part down and get on the "main path" I can just sort of copy your build.

I'm also wondering about the best gear for this build. Someone posted a Soul Taker a few comments earlier and is that the best possbile axe? The passive looks great, because it allows us to use w/e attack gem we want, or have I got it completely wrong?
Any examples of great / best in slot gear would be cool. Just a loose description.

The aura mechanic is new to me and I haven't quite figured out how they work. If you have an aura that reserves 40%, I'm guessing it takes 40% from your total and leaves you with 60% mana to use. Now, when you use another 40% reserver aura, does it take 40% from the remanining 60% or from the original 100% mana? If the latter is the case, I would basically need a pretty leveled reduce mana gem to run 3 auras on my mana, right?

Last, (for now lol) attack skills! I like having an aoe attack to clear packs and then a single target for bosses, tougher mobs. Is this possible or would it be dumb to try and rock like this, losing an aura and all? I guess heavy strike is quite good for single, but what aoe skill is recommended if any? I'm just thinking only running heavy strike will make pack / map clears a bit long or is it really not that bad?

Sorry for the wall of text, I've tried spacing it and making it easier on the eyes, but I guess it still crits and makes eyes bleed :x
I've only played poe for like 6-7 days, so any help / input is greatly appreciated as I'm still a tad lost in the endless build possibilities.
THANK YOU!

I'd say you would want to only have one route at the start point. The life route wins. You can pick up some damage by getting raw power early then get into Fencing and the 20% damage at the duelist start if you want. Let's just say the marauder build would be "unsupported" but I'm sure it would work out fine.

Something like this to start

I've spent weeks pouring over the Templar build so if you want a polished product you will have to make a templar. :)

Soul Taker is great but very rare and expensive. You can do alright with a good 'rare' (yellow) axe. As in the guide I suggest the Tomahawk(cruel)/Siege Axe(merciless) line. Best possible? Maybe a top end craft or Soul Taker, toss up. Either one will set you back many exalted. Personally I settled for what I could make with just a few chaos.

Yes, use whatever attack skill you like. :) Some of them won't seem to do much damage for you or your setup. Experiment. I like heavy strike best so far.

Best in slot gear is pretty much covered in the guide. You will need to look for the variables I mention (life, armour, evasion, etc.) I have mentioned a few notable uniques. The shield is not one of the best items you can get, but it's ok. I'd go with a top end craft instead. The amulet is a "should have," the helmet is 'best available' but expensive.

Auras, two 40% auras = 20% of your mana left. See the mana leech guidance. Too many support gems or the the wrong ones will mess you up. Balance, balance. Reduced mana gems are important. If you want a combo that just works, follow the guide. We are talking high physical damage weapon, mana leech item, low mana draw skill (heavy strike, multi, phys dmg, stun).

Check my last video to see how heavy strike does on a map. It's OK considering I'm self found. Nothing's going to hit harder if you roll self found than that.

You can use a specific AOE skill if you want. Or, with bringer of rain you can just slap on melee splash with heavy strike or double strike and have done with it.

Let us know how you get on.
The only attack that i'll use is heavy strike? Don't I need a group attack?
@Meme
Thanks for the answers Sovyn!
I've decided to take your word for it and go for a templar, afterall you seem to know this stuff ;)
"
Myhoax wrote:
The only attack that i'll use is heavy strike? Don't I need a group attack?

It really depends. Sovyn runs HS + Multistrike as a pseudo AOE, and because his mana pool is small (aura junkie).

I run Infernal Blow + Melee Splash for AOE. (Bulling on to maps, hope I am able to get good enough to try this and give feedback on how IB + MSplash works in end game)

Some, like Hiero, have tried LS + chain + Fork and it's a very fast clear. (VERY mana intensive)

Molochmane uses Dominating Blow, and I think Boris has gotten a taste of it. (also VERY mana intensive)

Basically this build gives a lot of flexibility on any melee AOE you wish (Reeve seems to be a testing ground now). It does not cocoon you into a certain weapon or a certain skill, although HS seems to be a good option partnered with life leech and mana leech and life leech works off pure physical damage. To take damage you need health, and to survive, you need leech. If you read through the thread, you will notice that we have all given feedback on the skills we use and how well it synchs with the build.

Edit: Try out different skills and pick one which you are comfortable with. I would say what makes you happy keeps you playing! I have seen too many lolspork players around that got bored with it, or frustrated they can't get shavronnes, etc etc. Sovyn's build negates that as you can even tweak the tree a little based on your needs. There's no right or wrong, and you might opt to complete a certain pathway before jumping onto the next. Prior experience with another character or getting feedback here helps.
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Aug 22, 2013, 11:37:05 AM
@Myhoax - Xiaoyen's reply was excellent - I'd just add that if you watch my videos you will see heavy strike/multistrike killing two monsters at once sometimes and, when I switch to another nearby monster, often they are already significantly damaged. That's an AOE in my book. I'm testing Reave now (a true AOE skill) and honestly, it does not make things much more efficient than good old HS + multi. Like cleave and ground slam, with Reave there are still plenty of monsters that don't take as much damage in a pack due to variable range and cone AOE shape, and thus need to be cleaned up after the AOE has taken out most of them. I think a non-AOE attack skill plus melee splash support for 360 degree coverage would be the easiest to play if you can keep up with the mana draw.

@Loje - sounds good!
@Loje
Almost everything is said.
I'd only repeat you could test different skills and select whatever you like more.

I like Heavy Strike because it requires low mana, has x150% damage multiplier, physical damage has synergies with mana /life leech on gear and its Knockback could be a defensive ability when you hit faster than your enemy (useful when levelling).
I run Heavy Strike + Multistrike +Melee Physical Damage +Faster Attacks +Melee Splash

While you're levelling you'll probably have to deal with mana problems.
Don't be too greedy using too much auras or linking too much skills. Mana Leech and Reduced Mana gems will help you to succeed.

This is a very cooperative thread, feel free to ask whatever question you have.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
So i did of course die again.
Did get to start run maps and was a bit stupid/ignorant and got splatted...

Anyway did wait for reave to get released.
And boy it is OP for leveling with this build.

a fast claw/dagger/rapier and attack speed rings/glove, and since my stash is full of old rusty unique leveling gear i do level insane fast with reave compaired to earlier attempts...
might be that iam not scared to rush in HC anymore. so far only mob that i did get some reave stacks against was the butcher, think i had to hit him 5 times...

else i 2-hit the mobs and there is nothing left around me to hit again.

Reave is so far perfect for me while leveling, since ive got great daggers/claws until level 50 atleast that are in the stash. not sure what support gems to use

faster attack+multistrike will be my first test when iam high enough, because sooner or later mobs will survive the first hit, so cant wait until iam lvl 35 when my first 5L armor can be used to see what reave will be with a 5L setup...

hmm damned need to find a new culling strike+item quantity+item rarity, i miss my totem, will try to use shockwave totem this time, might be annoying with the knockback on it as a melee player, but like how it works when i use hatred aura. frozen knocked backed enemies are an easy kill with reave, and the aoe seems to be large enough so it doesnt matter that the mobs are a bit scattered

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info