[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Ziddyroc wrote:
I found an Anvil and this shield in the same day, lead me to this thread, lol:

Is that shield good enough to try this build with? Four really solid rolls, has two exalt spots for prefixes, and the sheer amount of resists probably frees up a few passives. Or should I look for a different type of shield?

It would be a fine shield if used with anvil.

The only problem with it is it has very low armor and no evasion.

Carry on, you can make up defenses elsewhere with the right gear.

Cool. I might do the eternal/exalt thing to get high defense on it ;)

"
kahoraho wrote:
"
Ziddyroc wrote:
I found an Anvil and this shield in the same day, lead me to this thread, lol:

Is that shield good enough to try this build with? Four really solid rolls, has two exalt spots for prefixes, and the sheer amount of resists probably frees up a few passives. Or should I look for a different type of shield?

Sorry but I would look for another shield with higher defences.
Your shield is "low" on block chance, but you don't care if you use anvil.
Standard build gives you over 120% increased defences from shield. If you use a 1500 armour or evasion shield, you'll get 3000 defence + a bit more from other passives.
It's not too costly to buy a high defence shield, easier for you because you don't need a high block chance.

Your shield is great on elemental resistance, but it can be found on other gear. It could cost you a bit to balance all resistance, but it can be done.
You won't be able to improve 3000 defences from other gear.

Right, that's why I mentioned it has two free prefix rolls available. A nice armor and armor percentage roll would fix that up pretty well, and it has max life already.

Thanks for the feedback!
IGN - Ziddyroc
Last edited by Ziddyroc on Aug 21, 2013, 1:50:08 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
I made a video this morning!

This is just a routine clearing of a level 67 map. The map is a Cemetary with additional projectiles and magic monsters. No drops at all, but you can see how I'm coming along (self found only....).

Link to youtube (up to 1080p quality coming later).

Very nice Sovyn!

Insane atk speed you have there. Btw, you should be able to increase your clear speed by sticking on a melee splash somewhere, although i don't recommend putting on HS due to the knockback. Moloch plays dominating blow (if you have a good connection and don't mind minions, this rocks) and I play infernal blow. Clear speed is pretty fast, once I get to maps I will see if it is viable and if it helps you increase the clear speed a bit for more maps fun.
My little update on my equipment and progress

equip

got my hands on this baby, sold koams hart + had to sell my perfect 70% andvarius and chest plate, but it is worth it.

because of soul taker i can use any melee skill i want even with 6 auras (2 on blood magic and 4 on mana, i got 22 mana left)

can run 70+maps (but i got my ass handed to me by Pietylike boss from Temple map lvl 71 with +81% to drop rates don't remember mods i got oneshoted by her lightning globs)

HS is still the best skill for fast kills but dominating blow good but F*** 189 mana per skill, without soul taker you cant use it, but it is good for maps with necromancers, IB is good too when i need pseudo aoe and use IQ gem instead of splash.

Right now i upload video of map run with Dominating blow
don't know when it will be ready (4 gb only for 5 min video) will post link later

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
PSS: link to the video
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
Last edited by Borislav on Aug 21, 2013, 5:38:36 AM
First, I just want to say, I have been playing since closed. Most of the characters I have are around 45-50. I ended up getting bored and quit playing for about 6 months. Decided to try again, and saw this. I love in your face type characters, who take a whole lot of damage, but can still deal some. I just want to say thank you Sovyn for posting this, it is awesome, and I'm only lvl 22 right now :D Can't wait to get higher and kill stuff in the process.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
I made a video this morning!

This is just a routine clearing of a level 67 map. The map is a Cemetary with additional projectiles and magic monsters. No drops at all, but you can see how I'm coming along (self found only....).

Link to youtube (up to 1080p quality coming later).

Very nice Sovyn!

Insane atk speed you have there. Btw, you should be able to increase your clear speed by sticking on a melee splash somewhere, although i don't recommend putting on HS due to the knockback. Moloch plays dominating blow (if you have a good connection and don't mind minions, this rocks) and I play infernal blow. Clear speed is pretty fast, once I get to maps I will see if it is viable and if it helps you increase the clear speed a bit for more maps fun.

I have experimented with melee splash many times but can't keep up with the mana draw. I do get a little area damage effect already because multi switches between targets a bit. And damage is not diluted when I get the boss alone either due to the usual AOE skill damage reduction. A compromise.

I'd have to give up a 4L for another attack skill too.

I'm thinking about it.

I'd be curious how you do with Infernal Blow in the endgame too. I see a lot of fire resistant monsters out there. :)

I'm currently experimenting with reave. More later.
"
Borislav wrote:
My little update on my equipment and progress

because of soul taker i can use any melee skill i want even with 6 auras (2 on blood magic and 4 on mana, i got 22 mana left)

can run 70+maps (but i got my ass handed to me by Pietylike boss from Temple map lvl 71 with +81% to drop rates don't remember mods i got oneshoted by her lightning globs)

HS is still the best skill for fast kills but dominating blow good but F*** 189 mana per skill, without soul taker you cant use it, but it is good for maps with necromancers, IB is good too when i need pseudo aoe and use IQ gem instead of splash.

Right now i upload video of map run with Dominating blow
don't know when it will be ready (4 gb only for 5 min video) will post link later

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
PSS: link to the video

Thanks for the update! This is an excellent example of what can be accomplished with the build if one is a resourceful trader.

Excellent example of Dominating Blow - you made good time there!

Nice to not worry about mana, which makes certain things possible.

You barely took any damage either.

Well done!
"
dvwright1 wrote:
First, I just want to say, I have been playing since closed. Most of the characters I have are around 45-50. I ended up getting bored and quit playing for about 6 months. Decided to try again, and saw this. I love in your face type characters, who take a whole lot of damage, but can still deal some. I just want to say thank you Sovyn for posting this, it is awesome, and I'm only lvl 22 right now :D Can't wait to get higher and kill stuff in the process.

Thanks for posting! I'm so glad you like the guide.

Seems we share the same play style.

Keep us updated periodically. :)
All right fellows, I've been experimenting with Reave, the new 11.4 dex/int hybrid AOE attack skill.

It's pretty good.

I like the fact that the area effect gains radius for each successive hit. Naturally, with RT this is pretty much guaranteed.

It's fairly powerful for a level 10 AOE skill already.

Here's the basic support gem combo I have so far:

It seems to have 8 stages at 20% increased area for each stage. So I guess 160% increased area of effect total.

Concentrated effect does make the area pretty small but I think it's still about the size of cleave most of the time. This skill builds up charges of sorts and the radius grows proportionally. The charges to dissipate quickly, but they build quickly again when a new pack is engaged.

This skill is also a cone shaped AOE like cleave so you must face the monsters you wish to kill.

I can't use my axe with it, unfortunate as it's my best weapon.

The implicit properties (Life gain or leech) on claws is kind of nice though.

Best claw I've found so far (it is not good):

That's what I'm running the experiment with.

Reave tooltip DPS is just over 2500.

I did the docks and it was not hard, maybe a tad slow. A 5th link and leveled up reave gem would add a lot of DPS I'm sure. And, obviously, a better weapon that works with the skill!
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 21, 2013, 2:49:57 PM
Here's a quick demo video of Reave in action in Lunaris. YouTube Link, click me
Bad news for us -

(In case: This makes it harder to get The Bringer of Rain via chance orbs.)

I thought that might happen. :)

Edit: Looks like I might be wrong on that:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

As I said earlier:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Chance orbs do not work like that (any more - they did for a little bit after the tiers of unique rarity were introduced, I believe). They do not have a flat chance to obtain a unique, regardless of how "rare" that unique is supposed to be. If the only unique of a base type is a rarely occurring one, then chances have a low chance to get uniques on that base type. Adding a more common unique to the same type means that chances on that item will have an significantly increased chance to roll uniques (but if they do, the unique is likely to be the more common one). If you've chanced a lot of occult vestments and gotten Infernal Mantles, then if Infernal Mantle didn't exist, those would probably have been rare vestments, not Shavronnes.

Infernal Mantle being an Occultist's Vestment does not have a significant effect on the number of chances need to get Shavronnes. Just some of the ones that would otherwise have been rares, are Infernal Mantles instead.
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 21, 2013, 7:07:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info