[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

how often do you die..?
"
GuilhermeHQ wrote:
I just started using your build in HC and I have to say I'm having a blast with it! :)
Do you have to recast Tempest Shield each time you enter a new area? I'm pretty sure it's a bug...

How do you deal with mobs that reflect Physical/Elemental Damage?
Do you have any tips for Hardcore?

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad you are having fun with this build!

Tempest Shield is a buff, not an aura. Only auras remain active through changing areas. Buffs need to be recast once per area.

I have not seen any problems with reflect as yet - I'm only in Act 3 Merciless so far, however. I'm up to the Catacombs (currently area level 63). However, this area is known for killing characters! http://www.twitch.tv/devmoon/b/374938774?t=49m

For hardcore, you want to grab the blocking nodes and the life nodes and resolute technique and the resist nodes as early as possible, approximately in that order. I'd probably go for more life nodes instead of Inner Force for hardcore as the time frame I suggested to get Inner Force is a crucial one. Also, you will need to spend time either trading for gear or farming it before progressing, especially in Act 2 Merciless (Vaal will definitely kill you otherwise)... see my experience with him earlier in this thread.

Finally, for hardcore, you want to be especially careful to use doorways to your advantage and pull a couple of mobs out at a time. It takes great patience to truly be successful at avoiding death in PoE. No charging in - see the video above for a good example of why you don't want to just charge in. This is general advice for any build.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 6, 2013, 4:02:11 PM
"
Minkic wrote:
Don't you get stunned each time you block?

No, I don't.

This is a very common misconception even among veteran players.

The vast majority of blocks are 'free': no stun.

A blocking character only experiences a very minor interruption (assuming a fast attack speed) when the blow is blocked but would have hit hard enough to stun the character if he did not block. The net result is that it performs exactly the same in regards to interruptions as a character without a shield and without Unwavering Stance such as dual wield or 2-hander builds without US. The difference, of course, is that these character's life plunges downward along with the stun (very dangerous), whereas all I experience is a minor hesitation and my life stays full.

The larger your life pool, the less often the blow would have hit hard enough to cause a stun.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 6, 2013, 4:12:57 PM
"
MostDopamine wrote:
how often do you die..?

Thanks for your question!

I think the largest factors here are that:

1) I play default league currently as I consider myself a casual player;

2) I am self found as to gear - let's face it, the items I am wearing (see the second post on page one) ..... anyone can easily do better than that! (I think self found is fun - you might not)

3) I am a bit reckless - when I see for example a unique multi shot frenzied Undying Alchemist - I still give it a try - see number 1.

It's pretty much number 3 that kills me. You can do better than me with this build - it's very sturdy - way sturdier than any of my friends' characters. That said, I probably die once every couple of sessions. I'd play differently if I were in the hardcore league.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Found my first Astral Plate in City of Sarn - still wondering (curious) if Astral can drop in act 2 (doubtful, it had plenty of chances to do so).

Anyway, I re-rolled it with four or so Chaos to get a decent life roll. The others had 12-30ish life, so I'll have to be satisfied with 70ish for now because I have not found many Chaos orbs. Maybe 15 in all my playing.

Just to pick this topic up, I did some thicket runs today, the second run dropped a blue astral plate. Seems to be some bad luck on your side I guess.
IGN: Nazhand (Standard), Gaurithoth (Anarchy)
Last edited by Helheim on May 6, 2013, 6:33:55 PM
"
Helheim wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
Found my first Astral Plate in City of Sarn - still wondering (curious) if Astral can drop in act 2 (doubtful, it had plenty of chances to do so).

Anyway, I re-rolled it with four or so Chaos to get a decent life roll. The others had 12-30ish life, so I'll have to be satisfied with 70ish for now because I have not found many Chaos orbs. Maybe 15 in all my playing.

Just to pick this topic up, I did some thicket runs today, the second run dropped a blue astral plate. Seems to be some bad luck on your side I guess.

Congrats (if you needed it anyway)! :) Thanks for your report. I think it's just very rare. I saw the one Astral drop right away when I entered act 3 and then nothing (I'm half way through act 3 now...).
Last edited by Sovyn on May 6, 2013, 7:42:31 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad you are having fun with this build!

Tempest Shield is a buff, not an aura. Only auras remain active through changing areas. Buffs need to be recast once per area.

I have not seen any problems with reflect as yet - I'm only in Act 3 Merciless so far, however. I'm up to the Catacombs (currently area level 63). However, this area is known for killing characters! http://www.twitch.tv/devmoon/b/374938774?t=49m

For hardcore, you want to grab the blocking nodes and the life nodes and resolute technique and the resist nodes as early as possible, approximately in that order. I'd probably go for more life nodes instead of Inner Force for hardcore as the time frame I suggested to get Inner Force is a crucial one. Also, you will need to spend time either trading for gear or farming it before progressing, especially in Act 2 Merciless (Vaal will definitely kill you otherwise)... see my experience with him earlier in this thread.

Finally, for hardcore, you want to be especially careful to use doorways to your advantage and pull a couple of mobs out at a time. It takes great patience to truly be successful at avoiding death in PoE. No charging in - see the video above for a good example of why you don't want to just charge in. This is general advice for any build.

Hmm... thanks for the tips. I'm going to adjust my progression so I can have 75% elemental resists from the passive tree by the end of Normal/start of Cruel. My Mara died in HC due to a low lightning resist in the chamber of sins :(

Another question (probably a dumb one but I'll ask anyway :P): I just dropped this unique shield in Default

I think it's a good shield... what you think? I don't know if the low Evasion is a problem.

Also, don't you think that the Stone of Lazhwar is a good ammulet for this build?
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Stone_of_Lazhwar

I did some math and, with it, we would have 46,5% chance to block spells:

0.75 block chance with a shield x 0.62 block chance applied to spells (0.5 from the ammulet + 0.12 from the passive tree)
IGN: Ignacius
Last edited by GuilhermeHQ on May 8, 2013, 2:50:21 PM
"
GuilhermeHQ wrote:
Another question (probably a dumb one but I'll ask anyway :P): I just dropped this unique shield in Default

I think it's a good shield... what you think? I don't know if the low Evasion is a problem.

Also, don't you think that the Stone of Lazhwar is a good ammulet for this build?
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Stone_of_Lazhwar

I did some math and, with it, we would have 46,5% chance to block spells:

0.75 block chance with a shield x 0.62 block chance applied to spells (0.5 from the ammulet + 0.12 from the passive tree)

Yes, that's a fine shield for this build. As I mentioned in the original post, if you have a unique shield with higher blocking, you can pick up some additional life nodes, which is a good idea.

As far as my plans, I'm going to be picking up a Vaal Buckler soon as I find one and rolling a 6% block mod on it for 38% block. That will enable me to drop one or two block nodes on the passive skill tree in favor of life nodes. The Vaal Buckler seems to be a rare drop, in act 3 merciless at least - might be easier to find in maps.

I did have my eye on the Stone of Laz. I'm self found and may never find one, so I can't officially recommend it. Too bad it does not have life on it. FYI, I'm not really getting hurt *too* much by spells in Merciless with overcapped resists (77) though, and I'll just get more over time as well (82 or 83 eventually), so I'm not sure that spell blocking is *that* big a deal and I already have 9% (not much, but I don't think it's a huge deal so far).
Cleared the merciless docks solo and without incident today. Found another Astral plate (my second). May use an Alchemy on it, but it's unlikely to roll better than my current chest. My current chest is not great, but from what I have seen so far, most rolls are much worse! Still keeping an eye out for a 5 link chest.

I've been playing with a multistrike support gem. It is interesting - I certainly swing like a wildman. However, there may be some slight additional risk because I seem to stick to packs of monsters longer to finish the animation. I suspect a melee splash support would be better for me. Perhaps someday I'll find one.
I play this build aswell and i use cleave+multistrike and i gotta say its amazing, while the damage isnt all that super-high you spend HP for one time and leech back for 3 hits so it definently lets you spam it. and with the recent update that sets life leech to 5% at lvl 1 i can see it being even better in terms of just surviving

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info