[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

For those with mana trouble on uber setup, I am trying these gems changes:

Let me know what you think, if it helps or not.
Thanks for this build! Loving it so far. As a noob, this is the strongest I've felt.

That being said, I've recently reached maps and ever since I got the Mind over Matter node I'm very often in a situation where I take damage that makes me lose all of my mana and the flasks are not enough/not fast enough to refill, hence I can't keep using my skills and that also means no life leach and I end up dying, and I can only use 1 aura or else I'm completely screwed. I'm guessing it's because I'm not strong enough yet, my gear sucks or what have you, but what can I do in the meantime? I'm still leveling and I don't have that much currency to afford top level gear yet, plus trading on PS4 is not as easy to find what you need.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the suggested nods are life regen and energy shield regen, why does this build doesn't emphasize those?

As a personal note, I'm using Tectonic Slam and I chose to use Multistrike as opposed to other suggested gems and my dmg is was higher this way.
Last edited by Lord_Joost on May 6, 2019, 8:15:00 PM
"
Lord_Joost wrote:
Thanks for this build! Loving it so far. As a noob, this is the strongest I've felt.

That being said, I've recently reached maps and ever since I got the Mind over Matter node I'm very often in a situation where I take damage that makes me lose all of my mana and the flasks are not enough/not fast enough to refill, hence I can't keep using my skills and that also means no life leach and I end up dying, and I can only use 1 aura or else I'm completely screwed. I'm guessing it's because I'm not strong enough yet, my gear sucks or what have you, but what can I do in the meantime? I'm still leveling and I don't have that much currency to afford top level gear yet, plus trading on PS4 is not as easy to find what you need.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the suggested nods are life regen and energy shield regen, why does this build doesn't emphasize those?

As a personal note, I'm using Tectonic Slam and I chose to use Multistrike as opposed to other suggested gems and my dmg is was higher this way.

One aura is fine all you need is Hatred with the basic build.

Have you taken the ascendancy stuff yet? There is a mana regain in there. Small but it probably would help.

If you don't use physical to lightning support on tec slam, just get a mana leech ring. That should fix you up.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Lord_Joost wrote:

One aura is fine all you need is Hatred with the basic build.

Have you taken the ascendancy stuff yet? There is a mana regain in there. Small but it probably would help.

If you don't use physical to lightning support on tec slam, just get a mana leech ring. That should fix you up.

Thanks for answering. I've taken 4 points in Ascendancy so far, the third lab is still too hard for me to succeed. I switched to Cyclone for the time being and it's better regarding sustain. In general I've been doing very little damage to bosses with both skills though.

Do you think it would be viable to get rid of Mind over Matter altogether?
"
Lord_Joost wrote:

Sure. You can do that until you get the leech nodes below the duelist.

If you want advice as to your DPS just post a PoB or gear + tree.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Lord_Joost wrote:

Sure. You can do that until you get the leech nodes below the duelist.

If you want advice as to your DPS just post a PoB or gear + tree.

Things have gotten better as I level up and get better gear, but even with those nodes sometimes I have problems. I've been using Thief's Torment for the time being, but I don't want to be limited to that. Maybe I should get the third mana leech node there?
"
Lord_Joost wrote:
Things have gotten better as I level up and get better gear, but even with those nodes sometimes I have problems. I've been using Thief's Torment for the time being, but I don't want to be limited to that. Maybe I should get the third mana leech node there?

You'll be fine with spirit void, that's a lot of mana leech. If not, you'll need to revise your support gems.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Lord_Joost wrote:

You'll be fine with spirit void, that's a lot of mana leech. If not, you'll need to revise your support gems.

You are right, I just had to keep improving my gear and get the remaining gems for the other skills. Everything is working nicely now, loving the build!
Hello there. Very nice guide. Total neophyte here trying to figure out my first build. Can this be adapted to two handed weapons? How would you go about it?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Sovyn,

glad to see that your guide is still kicking to this day. I've followed it since the early days in 2013 and was curious how it changed over time and am still a templar main to this day with Block Templar most of the time the first character I use for new leagues.

Some things are still the same and I think it should stay like that, but I do have some points where I think you should do something.

1. I would not recommend using baubles for hallowed flasks. When you wrote the guide the divine flasks weren't introduced so it is just outdated in that sense. Due to the fact of having a full story arc until we got to maps, unlike before, I also don't think trying to get two instant life flasks early is necessary, but it does help in getting familiar with them so that's ok I guess.

2. The first time I never really saw it as a problem, but now I think you should change the layout of the guide to a 'spoiler'-based one, because you can navigate through the guide much smoother like that. All the guides evolved quite much and I think especially your guide deserves a new layout, because people tend to read the guide not only one time and go through it like a book, but come back to read certain parts more often or follow it step by step.

3. The Pantheon was never mentioned in the guide. Definitely fix that please with some explanations for the most important ones and why you use/switch them. Also labyrinth enchantments and viable options would be cool. Some enchantments do require some explanations to be honest as names like Decree of Blades is not really self-explanatory.

4. Maybe introduce a leveling sequence of skills, chosen changes at certain levels and choices/possibilities you could have. As newcomers have no idea what to do with the wall of text at times, it can definitely help providing such a sequence. Not only for the story arc form A1-A10, but also Atlas completion.

5. Also write, if its possible, about the viability of the build in certain aspects like delve farming, T15/16 clears, Uber Elder runs, Map farming/sustain and what changes you would make. Progressing while following the guide feels much better I think.

I know this was quite the write-up, but hope I could give you some ideas to how you could improve your guide even further in my opinion. Of course, this is a lot of work, but seeing my 'go to guide' improve all those years is definitely cool!

@ksaf
I don't think this build works without a shield. Your skill tree needs to be overhauled completely and using all these shield nodes and skills would be pretty much useless.
The best weapon for a pure two-handed block build would utilize staves I guess.
Last edited by bagdet45 on May 15, 2019, 11:24:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info