[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
NoMercy80 wrote:
@ Sovyn

Really nice guide, will try this build with my templar. I don't have any 1-hand + shield character yet :)

But there is one point i'm not sure about. Do you think loosing 16% inc. max. life (2 nodes) in the duelist tree (near the "master of the arena"-node) has large impact on the survivability?

This two points could be specced into the ranger tree to get the "weapon artistry" node (2 nodes from "precise interception" and so you can get 4% additional shield block chance, 30% inc. phys. damage and 20 dex instead.
Do you think that's worth it?

Welcome! I'm glad you are finding this guide useful.

Yes, you could do that, but don't forget that aside from the 16% life you also lose 1% life regen, 27% melee damage and 12 max life as we go all the way to the duelist start at end game.

Coincidently, I was experimenting recently with changing the build, but not exactly this way. More details to come later.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 29, 2013, 2:39:40 PM
Ok, here are the changes I'll be making to the guide soon.....

... first, I'll start by telling you all my reasoning process:

I was trying to fit determination, purity, hatred and tempest shield on my mana. I could do it, but it only left me with 40 some odd mana for my skill with the 10% reduced mana reserved from the passive tree.

45 or whatever mana should have been enough as my attack skill only costs 28 mana to use. But, it was not 100%. It was fine with just heavy strike / multistrike / melee physical / stun. But I wanted more DPS so I switched stun for faster attacks. I'd swing with the skill three times, then cycle three times on and off then three times all together again.

So, I decided that perhaps 1% mana leech was not enough. So I used 100 alterations to craft a 2% ring:

Made little to no difference over the 1%. Now I believe that mana leech is queued like life leech is, so the problem was not having enough mana for two or three full cycles of the skill to give the queued mana leech time to recover. This may only be a problem for very fast attack speeds, but whatever, I recommend attacking as fast as possible!

In parallel, I was thinking that Tempest Shield does not do that much, paltry damage compared with my attack skill and only 4% block.

So, here's what I'm doing:

1) Removing Tempest Shield from the build and replacing the 4% lost block with the Weapon Artistry node. Decent DPS gain and small evasion boost as a side benefit. It was around 300 DPS / 1% chance to evade.

2) Removing the three nodes that provide 10% reduced mana reserved as now with only Purity, Determination and Hatred on mana, it leaves me plenty of mana and I never run out with a simple mana leech item as it now has plenty of breathing room for the leech to work properly. I tested the revised build out by running a map with "of Smothering" suffix -- "Players recover Life, Mana and Energy Shield 50% slower" and I was able to keep up on the mana. Test passed.

I'll edit the guide soonish.
Thanks for the update, I was thinking along the same lines when I was looking at your original build. That 4% Ranger passive changed things up a bit :)

I just started a build similar to yours, but starting from Dualist instead as some of the points you have to take via Templar (in particular, 2 of Weapon Elemental Damage 8%) seem wasted. Additionally, the dualist area seems quite strong to start with too, and links right up with this build in 3 points.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Now I believe that mana leech is queued like life leech is, so the problem was not having enough mana for two or three full cycles of the skill to give the queued mana leech time to recover.

o_O There is a queue? Does that mean there is a delay between leeches?
"
Suikosword wrote:
Thanks for the update, I was thinking along the same lines when I was looking at your original build. That 4% Ranger passive changed things up a bit :)

I just started a build similar to yours, but starting from Dualist instead as some of the points you have to take via Templar (in particular, 2 of Weapon Elemental Damage 8%) seem wasted. Additionally, the dualist area seems quite strong to start with too, and links right up with this build in 3 points.

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you found some inspiration.

This build works fine as ranger, marauder, templar or duelist. Just depends on which one you like the looks of. Obviously there will be inefficiencies no matter which one is chosen. The 8% nodes are not too bad. Would not go out of my way to get them obviously. It may be slightly slower maxing out block from the duelist start though.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
Now I believe that mana leech is queued like life leech is, so the problem was not having enough mana for two or three full cycles of the skill to give the queued mana leech time to recover.

A delay - yes. There is a limit in terms of how much mana can be regained in x period of time. The limit come to find out is 12.5% per second. Not enough if I'm attacking 6 times per second, if the available mana after reserves is too low. The math quickly gets complicated.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

A delay - yes. There is a limit in terms of how much mana can be regained in x period of time. The limit come to find out is 12.5% per second. Not enough if I'm attacking 6 times per second, if the available mana after reserves is too low. The math quickly gets complicated.

Hmm, I know your love for faster attacks, but won't slowing the attack down to an optimal value still give the same amount of damage yet give better mana regen? If my experience in WoW can be applied here, this means slower weapons get higher min-max dmg and faster weapons get lower min-max dmg in order to have the same DPS. Technically you can kinda clear the same speed, just slightly different playstyle.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Hmm, I know your love for faster attacks, but won't slowing the attack down to an optimal value still give the same amount of damage yet give better mana regen? If my experience in WoW can be applied here, this means slower weapons get higher min-max dmg and faster weapons get lower min-max dmg in order to have the same DPS. Technically you can kinda clear the same speed, just slightly different playstyle.

To get the best physical DPS in POE one has to have the best physical percentile bonus, the best flat physical bonus, and the best attack speed bonus. Sure, there are slower axes with good DPS, but a faster swing speed feels a lot better - seems to give monsters much less of an opportunity to hit back. Makes a big difference in fact. I would not consider a slow weapon. Siege Axe is perfect as it hits hard and fast.
OK everyone, the guide is now updated with the latest builds and information per my post earlier today.
"
Sovyn wrote:
To get the best physical DPS in POE one has to have the best physical percentile bonus, the best flat physical bonus, and the best attack speed bonus. Sure, there are slower axes with good DPS, but a faster swing speed feels a lot better - seems to give monsters much less of an opportunity to hit back. Makes a big difference in fact. I would not consider a slow weapon. Siege Axe is perfect as it hits hard and fast.

Ahhh I get what you mean. When I went toe to toe with that rogue exile, it was either I prayed for a miss from him so he does not knockback or I cast temporal chains for me to hit faster than him in order to get MY chain stun in.

But in any case, I can't wait to hit Merc. If I manage to get a slow 1H mace and a siege axe with similar dps, I will test this out and see overall which is better. Or just sub equip one with the same gems and be situational! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info