[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Best. Guide. Ever.

Seriously, this is a work of art.
Highest Character: Level 92 86% Block/Static Strike Champion - Abyss League
I get bored of the grind around 90, probably won't ever get a higher character.
Hey Sov,

First thank you for the great guide!

Would you mind posting screenshot with your offensive,defensive,hp,mana numbers without any buffs,flasks,auras etc. just blank stats with you equipment ?

If you cant post them in here, could you PM me with screenshots ?

Thank you in advance ! :)
Glad you guys appreciate the guide.

"
faithman wrote:
Would you mind posting screenshot with your offensive,defensive,hp,mana numbers without any buffs,flasks,auras etc. just blank stats with you equipment ?

faithman, here are screenshots from town as you requested with no buffs at all. However, I do consider the buffs to be a very important part of the build.

Last edited by Sovyn on May 27, 2016, 12:47:57 PM
Thank you very much Sov!
Hi Sovyn, I started playing this build in Perandus and had a lot of fun these last monthes, made it to level 90. Thanks for everything, including the great support!

I have pretty much the same gear and tree than you, except that I try to focus more on crit, to get more benefits of Inevitable Judgement. I don't use Romira's because I find its mechanic a little bit odd, and also because with all the uniques we have it put too much pressure on the rest of the gear to get life, res, etc.. Instead I'm using this triggering setup:

with this weapon

that I bought for 5 exalts. With this and the 4 power charges up, which generate quickly and stay up quite consistently (I have taken one from the bandits, btw) I have around 45% crit chance for EQ, vs 23% with Doryani without charge.

This weapon has 8.25% base crit chance and 340 pdps. Unfortunately sceptres in this range of stats are almost non existent currenly, or crazy expensive. But maybe with the change in the way sceptres/wands/dagger are generated in 2.3, we'll see more of them in the future.

Also in 2.3, we'll have the new shield charge, as you mentioned a couple of posts above. This will solve the only problem I had with this build, which was getting fortify up. It was either using Leap Slam, that I personally hate, or Shield charge, with very inconsistent results.
"
LordAdagio wrote:
Hi Sovyn, I started playing this build in Perandus and had a lot of fun these last monthes, made it to level 90. Thanks for everything, including the great support!

You're welcome, LordAdagio! Thanks for sharing your ideas. Nice use of trigger gems. I assume your curse went on CWDT instead of the golem (the most disposable of those gems), the tradeoff there is you'll curse less often. Yes, it's possible to do better than doryani's but very expensive as you noted. However, I see that in 2.3, rare scepters will tend to roll either with all attack mods or all caster mods, which may make a decent attack scepter more attainable. The implicit mod on sceptres are getting a nice buff too (this includes doryani's, presumably, as well).

I took from new screen shots with earthquake tonight and will be posting those tomorrow. The gem is not fully leveled yet but it will have to do! However, I can share with you that my crit chance with 3 power charges from romira's is 34%. It goes up and down. I figure that it 'builds up' to a crit, does the crit, rinse, repeat. Makes sense to me at least. I'm sure you crit more often, but I'd guess with a bit less overall DPS (I'm at 69.5K with the usual buffs but admittedly a few extra skill points are helping there). That's just because Doryani's is pretty hard to beat, unfortunately, without something over 400 pdps which is basically a real money deal at that point.

I'm looking forward to the shield charge changes too!
You are right regarding the curse, Sovyn, this is one of the problems: I can’t link it to the attack triggers any longer. I’m currently casting it manually (Enfeeble), even if, I know, the “lazy paladin” should not do anything else than right-clicking! But Enfeeble with CWDT for melee, from my point of view , is far from ideal. And since we miss slots because of BoR, I choosed to keep Tempest+Chaos Golem+IC on my CWDT.

There are 2 other little problems with my approach: 1) loosing the elemental life leech of Doryani hurts, and 2) if you rely on crit, then you must invest in accuracy a lot, otherwise there is no point. I’m currently at 92% chance to hit, but that should be better.

Concerning the DPS, it’s a little bit higher with the rare scepter (the tooltips DPS I mean). +5% without any buf, and +4% with HoT+HoA (which suggest that the +80% elemental damage on Doryani is not really that important end-game, probably because we already have so many increased damage stacking). When I compare Sceptre+4 charges to Doryani without charges, it’s +23%. However, this not takes into account Inevitable Judgement. Since I’m critting 22% more often (45% vs 23%), and assuming an average bonus of +25% for IJ, I would have like 5% more damage or something. So 1,05x1,23 = 1,30, so 30% more damage at the end. Plus the bonus from shocking more often, which is hard to quantify.

So at the end, was it worth 5 ex to gain 30% damage, at the cost of loosing a little bit of survivability (life leech+curse)? I’m not sure, but I had currency to spend, and was wondering what to do. It’s relatively common with “budget” builds, at some point, usually around level 90, you wonder how to get it to the next level. And frankly I didn’t find anything else for my budget, the other option would probably to go with a very strong 6L chest, but this is way more than 5 ex.

That being said, you say you have 69.5k dps with Doryani? With the buffs, but without the charges, I assume? And with EQ? That puzzles me, since in the same conditions I only have 30.8K. You probably have better gear that’s sure, but what else? You have more point in the tree, yes, but most of them seem to be in the life+chaos res nodes. Well this is something I'm going to check.
Well, after being away for the past month or so, I decided to put everything I've got into this build, and stop working on other projects that tend to needlessly deplete my funds for awhile. I gathered all the required uniques that I didn't previously have, and picked up a pretty nice BoR for a few Chaos. I finally have my Lioneyes equipped and at this point I'm playing the patience game to cap resists with jewels, and max out block the rest of the way.

I'll post my gear later tonight to get your thoughts... I made the change a few levels earlier than you always suggest, but I was needing to refresh my setup prior to starting mid tier maps anyway, so the timing was there. Mana leech is a necessity again after the swap and I need to find a pretty nice ring with resists, leech and crit/phys/ele damage to round things out sustainably. Loving the DPS increase overall though, it was pretty significant.
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
"
LordAdagio wrote:
That being said, you say you have 69.5k dps with Doryani? With the buffs, but without the charges, I assume? And with EQ? That puzzles me, since in the same conditions I only have 30.8K. You probably have better gear that’s sure, but what else? You have more point in the tree, yes, but most of them seem to be in the life+chaos res nodes. Well this is something I'm going to check.

LordAdagio, I'm glad your weapon choice is a positive one. That's a surprise that you are out-damaging doryani's. Do you have a high roll doryani's over 300 pdps? I compared doryani's favorably with a 380 pdps rare. It must be the higher crit chance that is making the difference for you. However, one issue with your math is that I have 24-34% variable chance to crit with romira's, not 23% as you are using in your math. My 69.5K is fully buffed peak tooltip DPS number with 3 power charges, 3 frenzy charges, blood rage, atziri's promise, and ice golem. Most of these things are up 'most' of the time during combat. A couple of the gems are not even fully leveled yet:
"
Khavali wrote:
Mana leech is a necessity again after the swap and I need to find a pretty nice ring with resists, leech and crit/phys/ele damage to round things out sustainably

Khavali, I wouldn't try to find a ring like that. Get a romira's. It has mana leech on it. Then you just need a ring like this:

The mana stat is useless pretty much so ignore that, also the accuracy and phys damage are great but optional, you can craft it with elreon if you find something as I did that has an open slot. So the basic ring is cheap, a two-stone with a couple resists on it and life. When you buy, don't worry about the implicit, you can get it up to 16 yourself with blessed orbs.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 28, 2016, 1:55:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info