[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Today's Update

"
02-29-2016 -- Guide fully updated for PoE 2.2 Ascendancy
"
ikitt wrote:
Thank you for update the guide all time!!

I follow the guide since the Beta, i played your templar in diferents leages and i thinkind to do another one in the new leage but i had a doubt, maybe can do the same build with a duelist ant take the new Gladiator bonus:

+30% of block chance applied to spells
+3% addicional block chance
+15 chance to cause bleeding on hit with attacks
+30% increased damaged if you have killed a bleeding enemy recently

I think this can be more defensive than a templar with inquisitor because you can take 100% of block chance applied to spell. What do you think?

I think it would not be easy to get a Doryani´s Catalist for me in a new leage, and i can play with Resolute Technique and without critical strike chance nodes.

Any help is appreciated!

PD: Sorry for my english

Hello ikitt, You're welcome.

I think Inquisitor is best. Lots of damage. The faster you kill stuff, the safer you are.

Why go for defensive Ascendancy class when we can get all that from gear.

Even if the new unique jewel ends up being rare or expensive and I wouldn't wear it (I try to make the build look affordable), I'll still take all the damage from Inquisitor over an extra 14 spell block.

As far as weapons, anyone can afford a Doryani's, just don't ID any amulets and rings and turn in a set every time you get one after you reach area level 60 and up. That's 2 chaos/2 regal a pop. Adds up fast. No need to even set up a shop. Doryani's only goes for a few chaos these days. Much much cheaper than any good rare weapon. By the time you get to level 75 the no lifers will have had Atziri on farm mode forever so there will be plenty of supply.

If not, a rare sceptre with decent physical damage and some crit chance might work.

If you can't find that, any mace with good physical damage will still work. Remember also that the build works with any weapon type at low levels, not just maces, so use the best one you have.

If you want to take RT, do so, try it both ways. It only takes one regret orb. Might be better with RT at low levels. I figure folks don't need the complication of getting and removing it so I geared the guide toward a straight forward crit build for 2.2. I think most people will fly right past the level range where RT might be better. These days, getting into the 80s is trivial.

Have fun.
@Sovyn: Hey man. Did I ever mention I just might love you? :D

After coming back to the build and playing for about a week, I realized that you made the conscious decision to go BoR for affordability. And I admire and respect that.

I think when I first tried this build, I went with Abyssus + 6L Belly of the Beast. Is that still 'good' if I am willing to sacrifice some defensive capabilities? Do I need astronomical DPS to do Uber Atziri?

One last thing.
Do you only have ~30% critical strike chance? If so, do you find that it is enough? And if it is enough, you can probably still have ~30% without Ice Golem. In that case, would Flame Golem be better for the sake of flat damage boost as opposed to Accuracy and Crit chance?

I ask because I ended up trying Ice Golem after many chromatics and I don't know if it's worth it if it only gives ~30% crit chance. And I like to use your personal stats as preference. Let me know. Thank you kindly!
Last edited by andrew8448 on Mar 1, 2016, 12:34:29 AM
"
andrew8448 wrote:
@Sovyn: Hey man. Did I ever mention I just might love you? :D

After coming back to the build and playing for about a week, I realized that you made the conscious decision to go BoR for affordability. And I admire and respect that.

I think when I first tried this build, I went with Abyssus + 6L Belly of the Beast. Is that still 'good' if I am willing to sacrifice some defensive capabilities? Do I need astronomical DPS to do Uber Atziri?

One last thing.
Do you only have ~30% critical strike chance? If so, do you find that it is enough? And if it is enough, you can probably still have ~30% without Ice Golem. In that case, would Flame Golem be better for the sake of flat damage boost as opposed to Accuracy and Crit chance?

I ask because I ended up trying Ice Golem after many chromatics and I don't know if it's worth it if it only gives ~30% crit chance. And I like to use your personal stats as preference. Let me know. Thank you kindly!

Hi Andrew, BoR is pretty good with the new build but abyssus + chest might be a little bit more tooltip DPS in your hideout. However, Abyssus + Belly is not good defensively and you can't run blood rage. You'd have to use Lightning Coil as your chest to counteract the downside of Abyssus and Purity of Lightning instead of Herald of Ash. Then you might get your extra bit of hideout tooltip DPS over BoR. Especially with 6-link coil (super rich folks only). Still, BoR is going to be hard to beat overall with the new build. Especially with the ability to use Blood Rage.

I find that Ice Golem is a little bit more DPS than Flame Golem. Probably due to the increased accuracy. You can try it both ways if you like. Just compare tooltip DPS with one up then take that gem out and cast the other one.

Yes I had only 33.5% crit chance and 471% multiplier in 2.1 but in 2.2 the crit chance is going to go up some on the character sheet and much more in practice with Inquisitor. The multiplier will go down some but overall DPS is much higher, some of which won't show up on the tooltip unfortunately as Inquisitor's bonuses are not like that but clear speed will be much improved in practice.
Thank you for the reply.
Came across another minor issue while trying to map. Do you feel that you have mana problems? Is Romira's Banquet mana leech all you need?
I think before 2.0 (or later), .8% mana leech was needed to sustain 6L attacks. Is this the same case for BoR?

What are your thoughts on dropping two points from you current tree (I am running the same tree atm) to get Revelry? I was thinking about dropping the two points by Precision. Your opinion is much appreciated.
Last edited by andrew8448 on Mar 1, 2016, 7:59:10 PM
"
andrew8448 wrote:
Thank you for the reply.
Came across another minor issue while trying to map. Do you feel that you have mana problems? Is Romira's Banquet mana leech all you need?
I think before 2.0 (or later), .8% mana leech was needed to sustain 6L attacks. Is this the same case for BoR?

What are your thoughts on dropping two points from you current tree (I am running the same tree atm) to get Revelry? I was thinking about dropping the two points by Precision. Your opinion is much appreciated.

Precision is a good damage node. I probably wouldn't drop it.

Revelry is fine but since melee skill mana costs were reduced recently I haven't had any mana problems with a 6-link (blind is free). Haven't needed more than 0.4% except on some no regen maps but everyone has a little trouble on those. Just carry a flask. I can still do them without a flask if I'm careful and it's not that common of a mod.

Bottom line I wouldn't change anything.

Edit, unless you are using Cyclone, that's always a different story, you'd need to take special measures to keep that skill going like blood magic support or lots of leech and regen or mana on hit could work.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 1, 2016, 8:32:56 PM
I'm curious about employing this build, or a variation thereof, using Molten Strike or Infernal Blow and Avatar of Fire, for 100% fire conversion with automatic crits that ignore resistance due to Inquisitor. I initially thought Chieftain would be good for this, but Inquisitor looks much stronger.

What do you think?
Last edited by Archimtiros on Mar 2, 2016, 6:01:27 PM
"
Archimtiros wrote:
I'm curious as to using this build, or a variation thereof, using Molten Strike or Infernal Blow and Avatar of Fire, for 100% fire conversion with automatic crits that ignore resistance due to Inquisitor. I initially thought Chieftain would be good for this, but Inquisitor looks much stronger.

What do you think?

Full agreement that Inquisitor is great. You will need something else to regain mana though. Blood magic support or mana leech support but these take away from your DPS. Or, perhaps elreon rings with Clarity aura. Or spend some points into the mana on hit stuff around Duelist. I get pretty close to those nodes. I'm pretty sure either of the skills you mentioned would be considerably less damage than static strike or cyclone. Most of the DPS is elemental anyway so don't think Avatar of Fire is going to amp things up all things considered.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Archimtiros wrote:
I'm curious as to using this build, or a variation thereof, using Molten Strike or Infernal Blow and Avatar of Fire, for 100% fire conversion with automatic crits that ignore resistance due to Inquisitor. I initially thought Chieftain would be good for this, but Inquisitor looks much stronger.

What do you think?

Full agreement that Inquisitor is great. You will need something else to regain mana though. Blood magic support or mana leech support but these take away from your DPS. Or, perhaps elreon rings with Clarity aura. Or spend some points into the mana on hit stuff around Duelist. I get pretty close to those nodes. I'm pretty sure either of the skills you mentioned would be considerably less damage than static strike or cyclone. Most of the DPS is elemental anyway so don't think Avatar of Fire is going to amp things up all things considered.

I'm fairly certain of that as well. I'm more just experimenting a way to make Infernal Blow strong again, and Insquisitor is obviously geared towards the concept, you're build just looks like the best basis for it, due to the defensive capabilities.
"
Archimtiros wrote:
I'm fairly certain of that as well. I'm more just experimenting a way to make Infernal Blow strong again, and Insquisitor is obviously geared towards the concept, you're build just looks like the best basis for it, due to the defensive capabilities.

It would definitely kill monsters.

Put it with melee splash and multi, MPD, WED, added fire and a doryani's catalyst. In Bringer of Rain you would go with splash, multi, WED.

As far as the initial hits from IB and the splash from that, I don't think there is any special approach, just the stock build is pretty close to optimal because IB is just a regular elemental conversion skill so it scales off physical better than elemental stuff.

For the explosion portion of IB, without going too far, Explosive Impact and Arsonist may be worth looking at. Celestial Judgment maybe.

Of course if you wanted to get tricky with elemental equilibrium or something you have to sacrifice defenses or some offensive nodes to grab that and it's a lot of extra work to keep casting totems or using a secondary skill to apply it (lightning would be best as IB wouldn't be doing lightning damage, cold yes due to hatred). Personally I wouldn't bother.

As far as curses elemental weakness is still in the running over flammability IMO for the DPS curse choice due to hatred. Assassin's Mark might be fine too.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 2, 2016, 7:48:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info