[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Xslasher wrote:

That came to my mind while leveling a bit ^^, I had the idea to use a reckoning setup instead of a second cast when damage taken setup, but seeing as I already evade this often, is it even worth it? What is your opinion

Riposte - Reckoning - Melee Phys might be worth a 3-link on the weapon or shield. I'm not sure I'd give up a CWDT for it as the damage seems modest so far (could be because I have not leveled them high yet). Could move whirling blades or enfeeble to an unset ring and do this on weapon or shield instead.
Is this the first time they've actually nerfed legacy items?

It's somewhat strange that they have previously left in place grossly OP items, but suddenly decide to retroactively change block.

That being said, with the new build I'm still easily at max block and capped resists. Haven't really tried the new gems etc but my conc effect reave is still almost 20k dps on the tooltip and I'm running about 41% evasion (still using grace/hatred, need to level up other gems to try different combos).

Current gear:

Spoiler

Although given the weighting on evasion shields + the increased defenses from shields, either of these might be very viable alternatives... =)

"
Saviourself wrote:

Hi Saviourself. :) I think GGG has changed base item stats before on some items without creating legacy items. The shield change was a change to the base items across the board not the unique item stats in the case of the shields. The unique item explicit mods seem to be what can become legacy when altered in a patch. Clear as mud?

I think you could swap to a high evasion shield and not really miss the modest damage contribution from the Daresso's. You can run haste or herald of ash + herald of ice or maybe a purity, instead of grace, if you don't need tempest shield at all.

Just an option!
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Saviourself wrote:

Hi Saviourself. :) I think GGG has changed base item stats before on some items without creating legacy items. The shield change was a change to the base items across the board not the unique item stats in the case of the shields. The unique item explicit mods seem to be what can become legacy when altered in a patch. Clear as mud?

Obviously they're addressing a systemic problem with block being too strong across the board (aka game breaking) but hell, so was original Kaoms with 1000 hp or original Shav's.

It seems bizarre that they grandfather some OP items and retroactively fix others. I know I'd be pissed if I'd sunk a heap of currency on a GG shield only to have it nerfed.

"
I think you could swap to a high evasion shield and not really miss the modest damage contribution from the Daresso's. You can run haste or herald of ash + herald of ice or maybe a purity, instead of grace, if you don't need tempest shield at all.

Just an option!

Yeah, the obvious option is the hammered buckler (although Daresso's *120% shield block on low life* has pulled my ass out of the fire on more than one occasion), ditch the Aurseize gloves for a more functional piece with attack speed to make up for the loss of damage, and probably rejig resists via a different ring.

Decisions decisions.
"
Saviourself wrote:

Obviously they're addressing a systemic problem with block being too strong across the board (aka game breaking) but hell, so was original Kaoms with 1000 hp or original Shav's.

Yeah, the obvious option is the hammered buckler (although Daresso's *120% shield block on low life* has pulled my ass out of the fire on more than one occasion), ditch the Aurseize gloves for a more functional piece with attack speed to make up for the loss of damage, and probably rejig resists via a different ring.

Decisions decisions.

Block was too easy to max, they only want dedicated builds like ours to be able to do it, which makes perfect sense. :)

You would gain far more dps from dropping grace and using one or more dps auras / buffs instead than you would lose from Daresso's, not even close. If that's a factor for you. :)

Happy Holidays!

Edit, also, your +2 melee gems shield would be great with Riposte + Reckoning + Melee Physical Damage
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 22, 2014, 8:55:34 PM
Getting along quite slowly here in the Torment League due to the following:

1. I am a casual player, and only plays 1-2 hours daily. I take my time and I don't trade.
2. I am going for the Challenge for this League that is to get 3 chars to level 85. I have chosen to do so self-found for the extra self-inflicted challenge (I like gimping my self like that, and I hate the trade chat, lol). However, I do allow swapping gear that I find between my 3 chars, and I level them fairly equally. All are around the level 25 mark now, mid Act 2 Normal or there about.

Sharing gear between my 3 chars have proven quite valuable for my Lazy Pally as my Ranger so far have found a Perandus Buckler, a Wurm's Molt belt, and a Stone of Lazhwar which all have been great improvements for my Lazy Pally early on :)

So slowly but steady getting along here, and definitely having fun with with the block build!

Btw. I also got a Reckoning gem, and must say I find it very helpful so far, although I'll have to see at higher level how useful it really is.

One question though Sovyn, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your current gear used that since 1.3 hit you no longer use The Anvil. Is this because of the block nerf or do you still use it occasionally and simply swap with the Lazhwar Stone depending on the situation?
"
Stefacle wrote:

One question though Sovyn, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your current gear used that since 1.3 hit you no longer use The Anvil. Is this because of the block nerf or do you still use it occasionally and simply swap with the Lazhwar Stone depending on the situation?

I'm glad you are having fun, Stefacle. I did play self-found up to 86 or so also so it's possible! Obviously, with any build the trading with other people makes things (too?) easy.

As to your question, I decided that I did not want to set the example of having legacy items as people are in new leagues now. I want the build to be affordable and accessible to all.

Also, in order to max block since they nerfed the block on both anvil and rathpith one would have to get a block corruption on the anvil, which is much more expensive than a small block corruption roll on a lazhwar. 60% rathpith is more expensive as well.

I do lose out on around 10 spell block but gain the ability to use herald of ash and tempest shield without traveling up to sovereignty as I no longer need grace. Those points are spent on more block instead.

Overall, a reasonable trade-off.

Happy Holidays
Yeah guys, have a great holiday season.

Wonder when Chris is going to drop a cosmetic range of santa hats to replace helms...
Hello

How can u manage with ur mana ? If i wan't to use my cleave with faster attacks,multistrike,pyshicaldmg,firedmg (also hatred,ash and shield(reduced mana)) my mana runs out in 2 seconds . I have to use cleave,faster attacks,pyshical dmg,multistrike and bloodmagic instead.

Cheers,

Happy holidays!
Last edited by noober2111 on Dec 24, 2014, 9:16:35 AM
Thanks for the explanation Sovyn, that makes perfectly sense.

And happy holidays to you too, and all the other Lazy Pally's as well!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info