[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Well, I am lvl 73 now and also sitting on 3.2k HP. I still have some light nodes (the big hp node circle) to grab, but there is like 15% hp.

I guess this needs to be countered by some gear etc which is quite obvious, like getting a kaoms chest with 30% hp stat. Which doesn't come cheap at all. But then again you loose links thus reducing dps.

This build doesn't have the highest hp possible, since it focuses so much around blocking. The fact is also that with 1.2 hp nodes got reduced so hp is a bit of a problem now. Have no idea why they did this though, this makes CI builds even more interesting, but they also don't come cheap at all.

There are some builds posted on forum that get 240%hp even with patch 1.2 but these are more HC based builds.

I guess it is enough HP for now, I can safely farm dominus (piety is not a problem at all) as long as I can safely avoid the lightning punch. I block his punch most of the time (71% spell block atm), but when it hits, it hits for good, meaning 1hko. So block is just an oh shit safety, when you fail to avoid the punch which is still better than nothing and at 75% spell block there is a good chance to avoid it. Wouldn't count on it though as 75% still means that practically out of 10 hits, 3 will land. Facetank it only if you feel lucky. I wouldn't though, the 10% exp penalty is just annoying to deal with.

I have no idea how much HP is needed to safely survive dominus's lightning punch. If his punch crits, I would assume one would need pretty much top notch gear you can get. Mostly life stacked, or good timing with lightning res flasks and trying to raise up the lightning res cap as high as possible.

This game is made in a way that it is practically impossible to feel super safe with every boss though. For life builds, chaos dmg is pretty much a big problem, bleeding also does super damage. Nothing you can really counter with better gear unless going CI or carrying remove bleeding flasks. Which is a must I would say. When bleeding gets fully stacked, you will need a very high leech and strong life flasks to overheal the dot. When you cannot leech from anything you will probably die if you don't carry that flask with you.
Last edited by Sparkl on Sep 1, 2014, 12:37:59 PM
"
Dooobs wrote:
Finally got time to try this build again.

I'm Level 67 now and the build works fine so far. I died only once while tripple facetanking dominus lighting throw :D
Resists are capped, block at 69 (need some levels). dps with hatred is around 10.5 k. My only worry is my hp pool so far. I'm sitting on 3,2k, maybe 4k with more levels but I'm not sure if this is enough later on.

Have you tried Added fire instead of melee dmg when full hp? Or are you really always on full hp? Furthermore, does reave beat heavy strike in clearing speed?

1) Spell block makes Dominus easy, at least in Merciless, he's still fun in Residence but doable if you don't get greedy with the map mods. I see other people die every time I do a public group Residence.

2) Life around 4k is enough for a capped block build. I have more like 5500 right now if you count my ES which is often up to some extent but obviously can't be counted upon. Just watch out for Volatile nemesis bosses, especially if the map has any -resists or elemental weakness curse. One shot risk, consider skipping or finish off from range. Carry a staunching flask for Dominus second form and Corrupting Blood nemesis bosses. Easy stuff, just have to pay attention a little in the endgame.

3) I use added fire instead of melee damage on full life in some maps that have a lot of ground effects or poison on hit, etc. Otherwise my ES stays up a little bit so I'm full life.

4) Reave is better than heavy strike for clearing speed. I did extensive testing that's probably posted 100 pages ago or something like that. You can just take my word for it. :) I think it comes down to AOE size, can use an better damage support instead of splash, and Reave scales really well with attack speed.
I love this build so far! I just hit level 77, and haven't died in so long I can't remember. I'm doing about 6k dps with reave, and have max block, max resists, and about 39% physical reduction, and 43% evasion while running determination and grace.

I also have about 3,800 hp. The problem is, apparently I missed the memo, I have 0% spell block lol. Oops. Like I said so far I haven't had any survive-ability problems, but I'm running pretty low level maps, 69 and 70 atm.

Am I being too stubborn? Should I switch out for the spell block ammy or shield? I have Rainbowstride boots already but I get a lot of resists from my boots.

Here is my gear atm:

"
martinaw7 wrote:

Am I being too stubborn? Should I switch out for the spell block ammy or shield? I have Rainbowstride boots already but I get a lot of resists from my boots

Glad it's going well martinaw! Spell block is only necessary if you want to solo merciless dominus or do temple piety, torture chamber, necropolis, crematorium bosses, any map dominus version, and some rogue exiles. If you skip these things like most people do, carry on. :)
Thanks for the quick response.

Also thinking of switching out my armor, I have a really crap 5L, all I have at the moment.

Wondering how much of a dps increase would I get from going to 5L? Because I'd definitely have to shuffle around a few things, (I'd lose a lot of resists and armor).

super fun/safe build! I tried to push it to the limit (sometimes over) and its very refreshing from the ranged spell/arrow spam.

im lv87 atm, 4200hp, 75% block, 30% spell block, can do temple piety if theres no max res mod, dmg mod was doable if i just leaped the lightning storm and went in for a few whacks inbtween being zapped.

have you tried doing apex with this build?, i tried to with a lazhwar and same gear as above, and still got my face wrecked by the two oversoul.
IGN Dseeed
"
martinaw7 wrote:

Wondering how much of a dps increase would I get from going to 5L?

It's pretty substantial going from 4L to 5L, but not too much from 5L to 6L. In a 5L, a leveled up Faster Attacks helps quite a lot. That said, 4 L is OK. I'd try buying a 5L chest with decent stats or just a plain 5L white and alchemy/scour until happy. Look at it as a long term goal.
"
Saiti wrote:

have you tried doing apex with this build?, i tried to with a lazhwar and same gear as above, and still got my face wrecked by the two oversoul.

I have not tried Atziri due to time issues. That map is just too long to sit down for the first try.

Dual Vaal should be doable, I know the one in Maze is not hard. With dual Vaal, one would have to keep their life at about the same level so they don't enrage. Always avoid the smash. Spell block helps vs. the laser.

What I'm not sure about yet is if we would need an Immortal Call setup up full-time for the Tri-boss room or if Ondar's+Evasion+78% block would work instead. Probably perma-immortal call would be safer, pretty much everyone uses that.
"
Sovyn wrote:

I have not tried Atziri due to time issues. That map is just too long to sit down for the first try.

Dual Vaal should be doable, I know the one in Maze is not hard. With dual Vaal, one would have to keep their life at about the same level so they don't enrage. Always avoid the smash. Spell block helps vs. the laser.

What I'm not sure about yet is if we would need an Immortal Call setup up full-time for the Tri-boss room or if Ondar's+Evasion+78% block would work instead. Probably perma-immortal call would be safer, pretty much everyone uses that.

my problem was the oversouls would cast their lightning ball things in sync and literally one shot before i can do anything, being melee in there sucks :(

maze oversoul is easy, having the ball lightning is what kills me. i guess i will have to either get more gear or play better
IGN Dseeed
"
Saiti wrote:

maze oversoul is easy, having the ball lightning is what kills me. i guess i will have to either get more gear or play better

Ball Lightning is both a spell and projectile, so I'd be surprised if it hits us, at least with grace and Ondar's plus good spell block as recommended for endgame.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info