[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
vick666 wrote:
hi,

Thanks for the build, after a break of a few months, I wanted to build a not too expensive and I chose this one!

Hi Vick, great start! Keep us posted as you get on.
Well, I thought I'd try this build for my first paly, and compared to all my other chars at the same level, (20-26), he sucks.

Either I a) run out of mana, and then can't kill and groups of enemies fast enough, or b) have no resistances and die against such groups of enemies, anyway - all depending on the items I equip, (which are specced to his level, though not great - (usually swap between resistance or leech/bonus rings/ammy)), since his passives give no bonuses to either mana or resistances at all, (so far, anyway).

I'm tempted to completely scrap him and start over, and add more mana in the passive tree early on, freeing him up to equip for resists when appropriate.
"
KeillRandor wrote:
Well, I thought I'd try this build for my first paly, and compared to all my other chars at the same level, (20-26), he sucks.

Hi, at that level you don't really have a build yet..... what can you get with 20 some odd points? Not much.

It sounds like a gearing issue - any 'build' rocks with a few cheap uniques early on. Just need to get those passive points.

Edit: Oh, Yes: Mana flasks

Edit 2: Be sure not to use excessive support gems early on, should be blasting through normal with just Molten Strike and a decent weapon
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 26, 2014, 6:27:09 PM
TBH - the main reason I'm really running into problems, as I realised earlier - is that this char's to hit/accuracy totally, completely, sucks. So the reason I'm running out of mana is that it's taking too many attacks to kill anything - rarely, if-ever 1-hit dead, regardless of what weapon/attack I'm using. (I've also learned to hate ground slam, and if I need to take on groups, then I swap to my 2h and use sweep, since it's a much better weapon, but still has problems with to-hit).

As such, this char still feels like the only char I have that is a total compromise. Since he's specced totally for defence passive-wise, I'm really running into trouble gearing him up to complete the basics - damage and to-hit with enough mana and resists.

NONE of my other char's (1 of each class) feel this bad and compromised even at this low level. TBH, though, my other char's generally have better gear - (especially weapons - my duelist has a triple-elemental damage sword that just blew everything away, all through act 2). The best weapon my Templar has is his 2-handed mace, but it only has one red socket on it, and I definitely feel the lack of defence when using it, (no shield), (let alone the to-hit), since it's not what he's really specced for.

"
KeillRandor wrote:
TBH - the main reason I'm really running into problems, as I realised earlier - is that this char's to hit/accuracy totally, completely, sucks

...And that's why we take Resolute Technique VERY early on. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
KeillRandor wrote:
TBH - the main reason I'm really running into problems, as I realised earlier - is that this char's to hit/accuracy totally, completely, sucks

...And that's why we take Resolute Technique VERY early on. :)

I realised that - and I also passed an ammy over from my shadow which really helped - (more mana/lightning resist, which I was having problems with), so I guess my self-found plan is out of the window, now :p
"
KeillRandor wrote:
I also passed an ammy over from my shadow which really helped - (more mana/lightning resist, which I was having problems with), so I guess my self-found plan is out of the window, now :p

A little trading helps a lot, but if you found the amulet you moved over from your shadow I would still consider that self found. I did make it quite a ways (well into the endgame) self found, but it was quite a challenge as the game does not tend to drop what you need. Trading for a few inexpensive items makes things much easier. This applies to any character. :)
Hey just wanted to say thanks for posting this guide and keeping it up to date
This was my first char playing PoE followed the skill tree as it was layed out in your guide, and have so far beat normal entirely self found, use primarily molten strike
when did you switch to you other attack styles (cleave ect)
meaning how long can I run with molten strike?
"
elderkl wrote:

meaning how long can I run with molten strike?

Hi elderkl, glad you enjoy playing your lazy pally. I think Molten Strike is fine until you start putting several support gems with it (then the mana cost is too much and monsters start getting more resistant), probably around the start of Merciless. I'd have the recommended reave 5-link gem combo leveled up a bit by then. :) I know you may not have multistrike yet if entirely self found..
Updated current my gear/stats and added a picture of my own lazy pally. :) Working on videos. I seem to have bad luck when making videos for some reason. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info