[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Latest Research Results

OK everyone, I have finished substantial research on 6-link combos for the build. I did at least 5 runs with each gem combo, all with the same weapon and gear and the same area, and averaged the times. I also put a couple 5-link combos in there for comparison.

Here they are, ordered from best to worst:

heavy strike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - increased area of effect - multistrike - melee splash
5.62 minutes

reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - melee damage on full life - added fire damage
5.67 minutes

cyclone - melee physical damage - melee damage on full life - increased area of effect - reduced mana - added fire damage
5.73 minutes

5L - reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - faster attacks
5.89 minutes

reave - melee physical damage - increased area of effect - multistrike - melee damage on full life - added fire damage
5.94 minutes

double strike - melee physical damage - melee splash - increased area of effect - multistrike - added fire damage
6.02 minutes

5L - reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - added fire damage
6.13 minutes

molten strike - concentrated effect - faster attacks - multistrike - weapon elemental damage - added fire damage
6.85 minutes

Comments: As you can see above, there is very little benefit to having a 6-link over a 5-link, at least with these combos. Most of your time is spent getting from pack to pack (moving around) and looting (both of which I tried to eliminate to a great extent for the test runs). While heavy strike was the winner, I think it was a fluke as there was a 3 minute run in there. Also, heavy strike is somewhat inconvenient due to the knockback, and melee splash entails a far higher mana cost than reave which integrates its AOE capability for a very low mana cost. Everything except reave entailed a lot of mana flasking. All of the contenders are very close, within a few second range of each other, so all are viable, but my recommended choice is still reave with a 5-link as I have been recommending for a long time now in the guide. Perhaps with a 6-link the best choice would be to simply add a Blind support gem for extra defense and no additional mana cost.
Hi and ty for info and help. Is the passive tree in date pls before i spend my points?
"
Wolferlmm wrote:
Hi and ty for info and help. Is the passive tree in date pls before i spend my points?

Hello Wolferlmm. Yes, the guide is current and the passive tree works. Let us know how you get on.
I saw this build a couple of days ago and decided to give it a try. Love the survivability, but since I am overpowering the content with unique weapons I am concerned about the dps end game.

Has anyone tried a Molten Strike, Lesser Projectiles, Melee Splash, variation? I think the clear time with 9 rocks instead of 3 and the melee splash will increase the dps and double effect on close in targets. That frees two or three slots for mana leech/life gain on hit/concentrated effect/fire penetration/added fire damage/elemental weapon damage/faster attacks, depending on the specific character's short falls or gear choices.
Last edited by Woeful on Jul 11, 2014, 11:44:56 AM
"
Woeful wrote:

Has anyone tried a Molten Strike, Lesser Projectiles, Melee Splash, variation?

Here are the test results from my molten strike testing on page 304:

Spoiler
All right folks, the results are in on Molten Strike.

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - concentrated effect
Average run time 6 minutes, 47 seconds

Molten Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks
Average run time 8 minutes, 21 sec

Molten Strike - Blood Magic - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Multistrike
Average run time 13 minutes, 49 seconds

Molten Strike - Weapon Elemental Damage - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks
Average run time 9 minutes, 13 seconds

Molten Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Fire Penetration
Average run time 9 minutes, 26 seconds

Molten Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Concentrated Effect
Average run time 8 minutes, 32 seconds

Conclusion - Molten Strike is fun for the early levels, but for endgame, Reave wins hands down, at least without modified skill tree and/or specific uniques to allow Molten Strike to catch up, which we cannot do as one of the core tenants of the build is to be relatively attack skill agnostic.

As you can see, molten strike is very bad for endgame with this build. Perhaps some specific keystones like point blank and iron grip would improve it, but those are points that we can safely spend elsewhere by simply choosing more wisely.

As far as clear speed, in my testing, you spend all of your time moving in between targets and very little actually killing, so 10K or even 5K (depending on gear) physical AOE dps with reave is just fine. Tested into relatively high maps.
Im moving towards this build. Still need to find a decent weapon etc. Ill go for the reave 5-link if i ever find /craft one. Also got some work on my auras / mana gems. Well ill continue and see how my 1st ever PoE char turns out.
Last edited by Wolferlmm on Jul 11, 2014, 5:27:37 PM
"
Wolferlmm wrote:
Ill go for the reave 5-link if i ever find /craft one.

Don't forget that once you are around 65 you might consider doing what most people would do, and trade a couple chaos for a white 5-link chest. Then you simply alchemy/scour/repeat until you get a life roll 80+ with a resist or two (not hard).
Updated 6-link Research -

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect - reduced mana - added fire damage
4.87 minutes

heavy strike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - increased area of effect - multistrike - melee splash
5.62 minutes

reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - melee damage on full life - added fire damage
5.67 minutes

reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - faster attacks - added fire damage
5.70 minutes

cyclone - melee physical damage - melee damage on full life - increased area of effect - reduced mana - added fire damage
5.73 minutes

5Link from guide! - reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - faster attacks
5.89 minutes

reave - melee physical damage - increased area of effect - multistrike - melee damage on full life - added fire damage
5.94 minutes

double strike - melee physical damage - melee splash - increased area of effect - multistrike - added fire damage
6.02 minutes

5Link - reave - melee physical damage - concentrated effect - multistrike - added fire damage
6.13 minutes

molten strike - concentrated effect - faster attacks - multistrike - weapon elemental damage - added fire damage
6.85 minutes

molten strike - concentrated effect - faster attacks - multistrike - lesser multiple projectiles - melee splash
6.99 minutes

Comments: Added molten strike with splash and LMP per suggestion above - as you can see, terrible. Three new combos added in total, in bold text above. The data is pretty much lining up with my old 5-link combo test results. Reave 5-link combo still my recommendation. Can pop added fire or Blind on there if a luxury 6-link is obtained but not required. Cyclone is neat but have to flask a lot and can't really use auras. With BM gem it's not really DPS standout anymore with this build and not worth it.
"
07-14-2014 -- Finally added note about spell block shields in gear section
"
07-15-2014 -- Edited linked sockets section

..Also tweaked the triggers paragraph in the gems section.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info