The reason why I am forced to quit [CHINA]

Wa are some good ammount of players that live in between their country and China, or have moved to China.

I have been studying in depth what is going in here and the conclussion is the following :

If you want to play PoE ( not Garena PoE, western version ) From China, you are fucked.

China not only filters the traffic that goes outside China, but also throttles and limits the connections that try to access something outside the country. Your bandwith and latency are respectively reduced and increased to subhuman, third world connection-like levels, even if you have fiber-optics 100MB connections ( this is what we have come to use because of experimenting with the internet providers and the speed paranoia )

When you ping a website inside China, doesn´t matter where is the server located but INSIDE China, you get 2ms delay on pings. That is practically zero latency.

The gateway for PoE western in Asia is located in Singapore. We have tried EVERYTHING you can technically do, literally. We have tested dozens of different configurations with proxies and manually tuned VPN's in Japan, Singapore, America and New Zealand. No matter what your do, it´s just IMPOSSIBLE to play PoE in China because of this huge problem of latency we are facing. The game is unplayable.

So, we are being forced to quit. I have been a pretty hardcore player and I have invested tons of hours on this gane, it´s my favourite and I am not going to play anything else. We have invested money and shiloads of hours to try to avoid this fucking burden but it´s impossible. We have even experimented with almost all the internet providers that exist here only to realize that they all share the same backbone and all the companies are really only ONE company.

Now, GGG ... Amazon has just opened a datacenter in China, and you can sign up for an account there. Would it be possible that you make a game zone of PoE western inside China ? This is our last hope. If you can´t do this, we are going to be forced to quit because the game is unplayable, and It is really the thing wich we have more fun with, we love this game.

Thank you and might Chris save our ass !

Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 15, 2014, 6:44:53 AM
I think the real issue here is the difference in business practice between Garena and GGG and how it might affect the overall image of the game. Supposedly Garena PoE really has a bad reputation, kinda like how Gameforge acts as a branch destruction device for good MMOs in Germany.

It would be GGG's job to insist on a more true experience of PoE on Garena's side. I also guess that Chris doesn't just learn Chinese for shits and giggles, he kinda wants to know what is happening there without a possibly altered picture. In the end we can only hope that GGG's position in this contract grows in strength over time and that they will be then able to deliver the game how it is meant to be played then.

I can't see a short term solution from a business perspective which is shit from a consumers perspective. :(
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Sep 15, 2014, 6:49:55 AM
I really feel sorry for those who are stuck behind China's Curtain.

A mesmerising and fascinating culture that is ruled under a ridiculous dictator with horrendous media control (Even worst that the west?!?! say whatttttt....) and oppressive militaristic fundamentals that need abolishing.

Humpf.... /rant!
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
Last edited by Zanixx on Sep 15, 2014, 6:56:44 AM
Cant you still select the normal server when you start the game?
"
Zanixx wrote:
I really for sorry for those who are stuck behind China's Curtain.

A mesmerising and fascinating culture that is ruled under a ridiculous dictator with horrendous media control (Even worst that the west?!?! say whatttttt....) and oppressive militaristic fundamentals that need abolishing.

Humpf.... /rant!

I guess the workaround would be easier in other countries but the real issue is persistent worldwide in publishing deals themselves as brought up by myself and my favorite example Gameforge, a German publisher with shitty record.

I'd favor this thread to not go down the political road, I imagine that is not why OP posted this here.
"
Cant you still select the normal server when you start the game?

OP complained about the original Singapore gateway being useless from mainland China.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Sep 15, 2014, 6:56:15 AM
Just because I'm interested: why is the Garena version not suitable?
path of exile expert
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Zanixx wrote:
I really for sorry for those who are stuck behind China's Curtain.

Humpf.... /rant!

I guess the workaround would be easier in other countries but the real issue is persistent worldwide in publishing deals themselves as brought up by myself and my favorite example Gameforge, a German publisher with shitty record.

I'd favor this thread to not go down the political road, I imagine that is not why OP posted this here.

And you're absolutely right. I had a mid-morning breakdown *outreaches hand, complete with puppydog eyes* "I'm sowrry"
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
"
Zanixx wrote:
And you're absolutely right. I had a mid-morning breakdown *outreaches hand, complete with puppydog eyes* "I'm sowrry"

It's okay. You could say you did it just for try, for see and for know. :P
The problem is not the Singapore server, if I ping from one of my Japanese servers to the Singa server I get only 120 ping approx, wich would be valid to play. If I ping from my Singapore server, I get 2ms delay because both are in Singapore. The problem here is China and the traffic exiting. I suggested Amazon for the greatness of that service and because now you can get a cloud computing instance INSIDE China. Amazon is a very powerful provider and they have probably good solutions to route traffic outside China- Amazon is very big deal everywhere in the world and it looks like it is been the second cloud computing provider after Microsoft to open business here.

So, I don´t know. I am just trying to shot in the dark and hope for a miracle.

GArena is not suitable because only Asians play there. We are western people.

By the way, the technology behind the "Great Firewall of China" was provided by NOKIA and partly by an American company.

Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 15, 2014, 7:06:31 AM
"
Just because I'm interested: why is the Garena version not suitable?

One easy reason could be: Customer Support. Afaik customer support is done by volunteers, which might affect the overall experience if you weight this important.

From a different Chinese player I came across some days ago who migrated to the western server it looks like we don't really have RMT issues around here. They are having the real deal there with huge Guilds openly confessing such practices and RMT being an overall present topic in global regularly. I play with global chat mainly and I never experienced an RMT discussion in our global ever.

The main version of the game is outdated there, afaik. They supposedly lack all the Vaal content. Something I'd be pissed about if I knew about it, whether I really play the content or not.

They have distinctively different marketing departments and other promotions aswell, some you might favor, some you might not. One would be nuts to dismiss the effect of the Respec MTX on the price of Orb of Regrets.

@OP, if I was you, I'd also E-Mail support@grindinggear.com about this and see that it gets forwarded to the right people.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Sep 15, 2014, 7:15:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info