Farming Masters - a thread about the popular farming places!

Well guys this thread is about farming Forsaken Masters. It's an attempt to compare the most popular farming areas and give you the pros. and cons. of farming those places. I've ran each zone 100 times to try and get the average values for each of these 5 areas. I havn't been able to do 100 level 66 maps because i don't have that many... i've stopped picking up low level maps 6 or 7 months ago... and now i regret it... but i'm slowly accumulating 66 maps ( Tropical Islands, Dunes and Dried Lakes ) and i'll add the results here in this thread when i run them :)

Some side notes:
Those looking to farm Masters and Corrupted areas, be aware that it has been confirmed that BOTH Master and Corrupted areas can spawn in the same instance.

Good way to run through an area is by using leap slam or whirling blades linked to faster attacks with an equipped fast attacking weapon, using Haste aura will help too. I prefer leap slam because you can jump over obstacles. You can also literally run - in that case i suggest that you use Quicksilver flasks with extra movement speed mod, but beware those need replenishing !

You want to through the farming instance without killing monsters BUT there are some exceptions! I strongly recommend that you open Arcanist, Cartographer, Artisan and Gemcutter strongboxes and (if possible) use transmutation/augmentation/alternation or even alchemy/chaos orbs on those. You want to get the +X items in the strongboxes. Jeweller strong boxes are a nice way to get rare rings/amulet/belts for your chaos orb recipe if the level of the area is above 60. Opening other strongboxes which are already rare can also be profitable again especially if the level of the area is above 60 ( again for that sweet chaos orb recipe ). This will slow you down but it's worth it! Killing rogue exiles is also not a bad idea, especially if the level of the area is above 58 because you'll be able to use the rare items dropped by them for chaos orb recipes!

Masters don't spawn in the City of Sarn, The Southern Forest and the Twilight Strand.
After doing 100 runs of Lunaris Temple level 1 i haven't been able to find any masters there. I'm 100% sure that masters can't spawn there but it sure looks that way.

A good way to farm masters faster is by joining global 820 where people share their masters when they find them. I encourage you to do so too! Very helpful especially when you try to level up one of your masters.

There is an awesome trick to help you find out if there will be a master in the instance or not. If the loading time of the area is longer than usual that means that a master is in there!

Ok so here we go.

Map runs : 100
Maps with a master : 20
Area Level : 52
Reputation per Mission : 2078
Average time per run : 0:53
Time per 100 runs : 88 mins ( 1h28mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 415
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 41560
Average Reputation per hour : 28336
Average Reputation per minute : 472

Catarina - 3
Elreon - 6
Haku - 2
Tora - 2
Vagan - 3
Vorici - 4

Pros.
+Open area, fast and easy to run.

Cons.
-Area level below 60 ( rares cannot be used for chaos recipe )
-Lowest area level of them all ( less reputation per mission )

Notes:
This area is perfect for mindless running. Ideal for when you just want to relax and find some masters.

Maps with a master : 18
Area Level : 68
Reputation per Mission : 3828
Average time per run : 1:39
Time per 100 runs : 165 mins ( 2h45mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 689
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 68904
Average Reputation per hour : 25056
Average Reputation per minute : 417

Catarina - 4
Elreon - 2
Haku - 2
Tora - 3
Vagan - 5
Vorici - 2

Pros.
+Area level above 60 ( rares can be used for chaos recipe )
+Highest non-map area level ( more reputation per mission )

Cons.
-Slow to run, bad area layout.

Notes:
The reputation per mission is good, the spawn rate is also good but it's not the easiest place to farm masters. The mazelike corridors and the many, many, MANY rooms will slow you down and can be extremely annoying. This is my least favourite place to farm masters.

Maps with a master : 18
Area Level : 62
Reputation per Mission : 3129
Average time per run : 0:49
Time per 100 runs : 81 mins ( 1h21mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 563
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 56322
Average Reputation per hour : 41720
Average Reputation per minute : 695

Catarina - 7
Elreon - 2
Haku - 1
Tora - 1
Vagan - 4
Vorici - 3

Pros.
+Fast and easy to run.

Cons.
-The corrupted areas never spawn in the middle of the Docks.

Notes:
Masters usually spawn in the middle area of the Docks so i recommend checking only that area. Checking the rest of the instance ... the areas with the quest item and the waypoint .. will just slow you down.
So if you only run the middle area the docks are pretty fast and easy farming place and probably my favorite.

Maps with a master : 22
Area Level : 67
Average time per run : 1:54
Time per 100 runs : 173 mins ( 2h53mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 824
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 84216
Average Reputation per hour : 29160
Average Reputation per minute : 486

Catarina - 3
Elreon - 5
Haku - 2
Tora - 4
Vagan - 5
Vorici - 3

Pros.
+Highest non-map area level ( more reputation per mission ) .. well actually it's 1 level below The Archives but the reputation per mission is the same

Cons.
-Slow to run, bad area layout.

Notes:
The reputation per mission is good, the spawn rate is awesome but it's not the easiest place to farm masters. The Narrow corridors and many rooms will slow you down and can be annoying.

Maps with a master : 8
Area Level : 58
Reputation per Mission : 2659
Average time per run : 0:33
Time per 100 runs : 55 mins
Reputation per 1 run : 212
Reputation per 100 runs : 21272
Reputation per hour : 23205
Reputation per minute : 386

Catarina - 0
Elreon - 3
Haku - 2
Tora - 1
Vagan - 1
Vorici - 1

Pros.
+Extremely fast and easy to run.

Cons.
-Area level below 60( rares cannot be used for chaos recipe unless they were dropped by a rare or unique monster )
-Low Master spawn rate.

Notes:
This area used to be pretty much the best place to farm masters but patch 1.2.1 nerfed the spawn rate of the Masters in the Tidal Island. Although the master spawn rate is very low the low time per run makes it up for that. Tidal Island has the lowest Reputation per hour but it's still a nice place if you want to do some mindless master grinding. The problem is that doing 10-15 runs without seeing a master can be discouraging!

Maps with a master : 12
Area Level : 67
Average time per run : 1:41
Time per 100 runs : 168mins ( 2h28mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 459
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 45936
Average Reputation per hour : 16405
Average Reputation per minute : 273

Catarina - 0
Elreon - 2
Haku - 3
Tora - 0
Vagan - 5
Vorici - 2

Pros.
+Even tho it's a big area it's easy to jump/whirl around.
+Highest area level ( more reputation per mission ) .. well actually it's 1 level below The Archives but the reputation per mission is the same

Cons.
-Large Area, it often requires you to go back and forth just to reveal all parts of the area thus loosing you time.
-The master spawn rate is rather low.

Notes:
Well what can i say ... large area that is hard to be fully revealed without loosing time. Also the spawn rate of masters is pretty low ... hell the average reputation per minute is worse than the nerfed Tidal Island! Overall - it's not worth running!

Maps with a master : 24
Area Level : 54
Reputation per Mission : 2257
Average time per run : 1:02
Time per 100 runs : 103mins ( 1h43mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 541
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 54168
Average Reputation per hour : 31554
Average Reputation per minute : 525

Catarina - 4
Elreon - 3
Haku - 4
Tora - 6
Vagan - 3
Vorici - 4

Pros.
+Open area, fast and easy to run.
+Good spawn rate

Cons.
-Area level below 60 ( rares cannot be used for chaos recipe )

Notes:
Awesome place to farm masters. Pretty much all obstacles in the area can be jumped over with leap slam. And masters can spawn right next to the entrance ( from the ledge ) - there's nothing better than hearing "Over here, exile!" upon entering the Climb!

Maps with a master : 36
Area Level : 66
Reputation per Mission : 3678
Average time per run : 1:40
Time per 100 runs : 166min ( 2h46min )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 1324
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 132408
Average Reputation per hour : 47858
Average Reputation per minute : 797

Catarina - 5
Elreon - 5
Haku - 4
Tora - 4
Vagan - 6
Vorici - 7
Zana - 5

Pros.
+Highest non-map area level ( more reputation per mission )
+Map Boss
+Highest spawn rate of masters
+You can find Zana

Cons.
-You need maps and when you blitz run them you don't get them back

Notes:
The fastest maps to run are Tropical Island, Dunes and Dried Lake. There are also awesome higher level maps for master blitz runs ( if you can afford to do it ) like Wharf, Mountain Ledge, Springs, Pier etc. etc. Basically all open area maps.

Maps with a master : 28
Area Level : 63
Reputation per Mission : 3259
Average time per run : 1:46
Time per 100 runs : 176mins ( 2h56mins )
Average Reputation per 1 run : 912
Average Reputation per 100 runs : 91252
Average Reputation per hour : 31108
Average Reputation per minute : 518

Catarina - 6
Elreon - 9
Haku - 2
Tora - 4
Vagan - 4
Vorici - 3

Pros.
+Good spawn rate

Cons.
-Large area

Notes:
The area is pretty big but the corridors are wide and linear thus making it very easy to leap/whirl around them. Also for some reason my FPS drops from time to time in there.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Sep 14, 2014, 10:34:12 AM
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2018, 12:18:29 PM
I really question your assumption that "masters typically spawn in the center of the docks". Sounds a lot like confirmation bias.
Well i've tested running the entire Docks vs only the middle area ... i can do it again tomorrow to compare the two options ( this time keeping track of things ). I've done a lot of dock running for the past week ( should be around 2000 by now ) and i'm telling you 80% + of the time the masters spawn in the middle area. But of course i can't expect that you'll just believe my word .. so .. i guess i'll have to run 100 entire docks tomorrow and see what the results will be ^^
But all that tomorrow .. i really need to get some sleep now :)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Sep 8, 2014, 9:45:40 PM
Gives us a nice number to work with though... about 500 rep/minute of focused grinding. That puts 1,500,000 rep at about 50 hours. That corresponds well to the rate at which people were grinding them out in the first week.
what about fetid pool? can you make some tests there? it seems to me that combining mud flats + fetid pool is the best way to farm masters
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I really question your assumption that "masters typically spawn in the center of the docks". Sounds a lot like confirmation bias.

I've noticed that too. I've been farming masters in Docks a lot, and in the beginning (50 runs more or less) I checked the whole area, but Masters always and only spawned close to the entrance in the big open square areas. Now I only check that( except the initial run where I start at the waypoint, and still only find masters in that part of Docks)makes it faster.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Lesson learned.

NEVER EVER tell anybody, especially not on forum, about "good places" or "good builds", "good combos" or whatever.

Never. Ever.
@FadeXF

Ah yes i've forgot to mention the corrupted areas. But from my observation Mud Flats spawns the most corrupted areas.
Thats how i do it Leap Slam + Faster attack + 2.07 attacks per second weapon + Haste.

@wild_captain

Fetid Pool got nerfed and because of that i totally forgot it :D
But i'll do 100 runs later today ^^
Well done. Thumbs up :)
I like many kinds of games 😊
+1

great thread, everyone should read

Stoutarm

Guildleader: JESUSWEPT (JESUS†)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info